IMG_20130209_143545_zpsfdb359eb.jpg
IMG_20130209_195452_zpse269c994.jpg
IMG_20130209_200455_zpsca02821c.jpg
IMG_20130209_202830_zpsf12d0794.jpg
IMG_20130209_204246_zpsd000a78b.jpg
IMG_20130209_205135_zps89d83762.jpg

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Broken hammer replacment on a colt python. heres a breakdown.. Colt Python Double Action Revolver

GLOCK V - Did you buy your replacement Python hammer from coltparts.com? I need a replacement hammer for my blued Python, but coltparts.com has none in stock at the moment. If you got the hammer from another dealer, please let me know which one. Thanks.

Yep it was from coltparts.com, Thing is i would not put the part in yourself unless you know what your doing, I have been doing gunsmithing for years and this job was not easy at all, Pythons are custom factory guns and the parts are hand fitted so parts are not just drop in and go.. this job took me 10 hours... And i forgot to add that if you fuck up you cant go back your done. You have too match the parts together by hand and if you remove too much or cut too deep thats it. the sear has too match the trigger...

Last edited:

Arkangel86

Question for you OP

My state has stupid laws and the only way I could import a Python would be to convert it to SAO to do the paperwork, Then convert it back to DA/SA.

My question for you is, if I simply remove the sear to render it SA, and then replace it at a later time, would that affect anything since it is in fact the same hand fitted sear?

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Question for you OP

My state has stupid laws and the only way I could import a Python would be to convert it to SAO to do the paperwork, Then convert it back to DA/SA.

My question for you is, if I simply remove the sear to render it SA, and then replace it at a later time, would that affect anything since it is in fact the same hand fitted sear?

That would be a trip to hell and back. The hammers and sears are hand tooled too match like fucking DNA.. can be done but with a cost.

GPz1100

bringing this thread back.

my buddy bought a 4" SS Python that has a broken hammer. story is the pistol was dropped. he bought one on gunbroker but it's thinner than the original. did they have different hammers or was he sold the wrong one?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I'm not a revolver expert. But there were different models of the Python. There was at least an "Officer" version and a "Trooper" version. I don't know if this describes the length of the barrel or if they were actually different guns. There were also different frames for the Python. Numrich shows a schematic for an E & I frame. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Colt-33188/Revolvers-35751/PythonEIFrame-36588.htm
You might be able to give them a call and give them the serial number off the gun. They are much more knowledgable and may be able to help you with your question.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts