Freds review of EOTech 512 vs Aimpoint PRO

Bluez

Full Access Member
Review of EOTech 512 vs Aimpoint PRO

I own both the Eotech 512 and the Aimpoint Pro.

Their price point is almost identical and hovers just a tad over $400 (but sometimes you can catch a sale)

The Aimpoint Pro is a highly developed red dot and on the high end as far as red dots go.

The Eotech 512 is a Holographic sight which is a superior technology to red dots but it is one of the more affordable holographics, almost an entry level as far a holographics go, which are a more expensive technology to make thats why they actually meet at the same prices point.

The Aimpoint PRO however has some significant practical features the EOtech does not (flip up lens covers included, an arguably better mount, the all around body is more rugged , 50,000 hr (!) battery life out of a lighter battery)

But the EOtech does work for me better in target acquisition, especially at ranges over 150 yards.... the EOtechs reticle with the 1 MOA point in the middle setup is superior performance wise and in general Holographics are an optically cleaner and more precise technology to boot.
Also the EOtechs reticle can be used to assist in estimating range and/or windrift a potentially invaluable feature that the aimpoint redot simply cannot match

And 1000 hours battery life w/ the EOtechis nothing to sneeze at either, especially since it uses the most common battery in the world: the AA.

If your requirements set is essentially Close Quarters only I would say the Aimpoint wins hands down because its only 2 weaknesses relative the Eotech mean nothing at under a 100 yards, while offering a more practical all around setup in many ways.

if you want a setup up that is good at short range and will perform in a pinch to 200 or more yards the Eotech is better.

And when it comes to ruggedness its defintly not a fragile unit either and the aluminum armor protecting the primary optics unit (only) is almost certainly even tougher than the body of the Aimpoint.

The AIMpoint however protects everything under aluminum, the EOtech armors the main optics unit only but the battery compartments is protected by hard plastic.

So if CQB is your near exclusive game, such as urban self defense, HD or urban SHTF, Aimpoint PRO wins IMO due to all its practical features.

If you also want to go hunting and want/need a little bit better long range capability on top of the good CQB , than the Eotech is your choice.

Summary

- Both cost roughly same
- Both are practical but Aimpoint gets the nod in practical features and a little extra ruggedness (though the Eotech is not impratcial and not unrugged)
- both work well but EOtech performs a bit better IMO for target acquisition especially at longer ranges

IMO they are essentially equivalent, buy whichever one is on sale and meets your PoU ( phoilosophy of use) better.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Some pics mounted on my rifles

pic 1 shows Eotech 512 mounted on my former a midlenght RRA
Pic 2 shows same but mounted on my former DDM4V5
pic 3 Shows AIMpoint PRO mounted on my LWRC M6A2 14.7 inch pinned ceracote

Attachments

• 100_0408.jpg
    100_0408.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0439.jpg
    100_0439.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0569b.jpg
    100_0569b.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Update:

I took out my only Eotech 512 fitted gun (DRM, designated rifleman setup) and also fitted my 2nd Aimpoint PRO on another flattop (CQB set up).

I own : - one ancient Eotech with manuf. date 2000 w/ a crude reticle, one 512 manuf date 2012 with the nice current reticle and 2 AIMpoint PROs for my CQB setups.

Keep in mind I recently had ICL surgery on my eyes and the right eye having that extra lens added now has its focal point moved further out so I am now farsighted as a trade off.

My focal point has moved past the front sight post actually, which makes using (blurry) Irons more challenging (tho my long distance vision in fantastic in the right eye).

I hadn't practiced my DRM set up for a while since I had been focusing on CQB but now as i compare the effect the different optics have on my eyes I noticed that my left-over astigmatism (ICL sadly only corrects myopia) on the right eye distorts the largish 4 MOA redot on the AImpoint PRO affecting my aim.

But my aim with the EOtech 512 is unperturbed as the full reticle helps to perfectly place my perception of the smaller dot,
Also the smaller dot seems un-affected by astigmatism distortion which I find helpful in aiming

I still recommend to buy either whichever fits your PoU better, but if your PoU includes shooting with some Agstigmatism the EOtech gets a bit of an edge IMO

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Nice review. I had looked at the Eotech XPS2-2 and the Aimpoint Pro the other day, but decided against both, as I would have had to buy a separate magnifier.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Very in depth review my friend, I have a reflex sight that I'm going to replace...I am trying to find someone that will trade a pistol for an eotech sight. I really like them alot, I may put a pistol on gun broker to see if I can find someone to pick up my for sale item so I can get a new eotech... will see what happens........but thanks again for the great review....
Concealed 27

Bluez

Full Access Member
Decided to add some more pics to show the height differences and configuration differences better.

From the pics most will appreciate the lower siluoutte of the Eotech b ut also the more hard core appearance of the Aimpoint PRO.
The Eotech 512 is on a 16 inch LWRC M6A2 and the Aimpoint PRO is on a Sig 516 also 16 inch (in FDE trim)

Attachments

• 100_1621.jpg
    100_1621.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_1622.jpg
    100_1622.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1623.jpg
    100_1623.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 13

Bluez

Full Access Member
I wanted to update this important (I think) discussion.

Own now 3 Eotechs 512 and 3 Aimpoint PROs.

To make one thing clear, despite all the recent bad press to EOtech and while the aimpoint has more practical features and robustness ...as a pure SIGHT the EOtechs outperform.

Its small dot (1MOA dot is a quarter of the area the Aimpoints 2 MOA is) makes for better long range shooting and its 65 MOA rings makes for faster short range acquisition.

I shot approx. 15000 rounds through my EOtechs in the last 2 years and lost zero only once, once!
Shot 3000 rds thru my Aimpoints (since it was my less preferred choice)

All this shooting was not punching paper on a bench rest it was in rugged lanes with pop up targets .. which really brought out the greater speed of acquisition of the HWS ( =Eotech)

If you fight by yourself as many home defenders do, you need every little edge you can get to gain fire superiority and the better speed of an EOtech will be invaluable.

yes the Aimpoint has batteries for 50,000 hours of fire fights.... and its more robust...
But the Eotechs is not trivial either
The 1000-1100 hours of battery life ( and it warns you when it gets low) will take you thru many firefights and multi day patrols.

So I do now prefer the EOtech because of its better performance despite the greater robustness and better mount of the Aimpoint.

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Well done sir. Have you tried any of the trijicon red dots? The one made in cohorts with Israel.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
As someone who's badly nearsighted, who now wears bifocals, and STILL has some astigmatism, let me add... the SMALLER the dot, the better your accuracy.

I experimented with a couple of different EOTechs (512, 553) early in my optic's equipped rifle days. And I wanted SO badly to like them, and have them "work" for me. They didn't.
icon9.gif
The tiny dots that comprise the larger hologram got to 'dancing' on me (if you HAVE astigmatism, you'll KNOW what I mean), and then I couldn't hit dirt from a standing position.
icon11.gif

I then moved to Trijicon RX30 42mm optic, with a 6.5moa gold dot. It turned out to be 31 flavors of AWESOME, from contact distance to 50 yards. BUT... the farther you moved out from the target, the more the dot COVERED of it! At 100 yards with your standard NRA target, the dot covered the ENTIRE black circle!

While tackling targets at 100 yards plus with a red dot is ambitious, it would help if the dots are NOT dancing, and NOT obscuring the entire target. So I tried an Aimpoint M2, and loved the single solid dot. At 4moa, it didn't obscure the target, and with only ONE dot, 'dancing' is greatly diminished, and non-existent - if you skip the coffee before going to the range!

I have since used T-1's with 4moa and 2moa dots, and the 2moa especially is the bee's knees. And as MUCH as I like EOTech & Trijicon products - they ARE great kit - if you have bad eyes, I think the Aimpoint deserves your most serious consideration. At LEAST check one out first, and perhaps save yourself a little money. Going through high quality optics AIN'T cheap - just ASK me...
icon11.gif

kwo51

Full Access Member
Aim points on my buckmark 22 pistol and AR. Caffeine and range cost me a few events. Now with the cost of ammo I just stay at home and drink coffee. I still shoot just at my own range out back.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I sometimes get a questions about the Aimpoint ACO.

What is it?
Its a decontented Aimpoint PRO:

The good :it has the tech and internals of a Aimpoint PRO at a lower price by about 30-50 bucks.
The bad: Even though the ACO missing front and rear covers IMO are not such a big deal; the much nicer mount on the PRO is well worth itIMO for the very few extra dollars over the ACO

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
I sometimes get a questions about the Aimpoint ACO.

What is it?
Its a decontented Aimpoint PRO:

The good :it has the tech and internals of a Aimpoint PRO at a lower price by about 30-50 bucks.
The bad: Even though the ACO missing front and rear covers IMO are not such a big deal; the much nicer mount on the PRO is well worth itIMO for the very few extra dollars over the ACO

If you like the fullsize Aimpoints (Pro, M2, M3, M4), I'm REALLY partial to the ADM mounts. I like an absolute co-witness, although they also make lower third mounts. They are solid kit, not too expensive, and better than the factory Aimpoint mount. I use their mounts for my T-1's as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts