Good CCW for a woman?

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
So I've been wanting the wife and myself to get our concealed carry permits and this may have sped the process up

Beaumont Police arrest man they say is responsible for robbery s - 12 News KBMT and K-JAC. News, Weather and Sports for SE Texas

One of the robberies happened on our street which my wife walks our children and our dog on from time to time. They caught the perps but it was a huge eye opener and scared me to be honest. I'm not always home to protect my family.

My wife is scared of guns and has zero experience with anything firearm related. I've tried to get her interested and with this recent event she now wants to get involved.

My idea of a good CCW for her are as follows
1. Easy to use
2. Light recoil
3. She is small so the firearm needs to be also
4. DEPENDABLE DEPENDABLE DEPENDABLE (it must go bang every time she pulls the trigger)

Her ideas are as follows
1. Pink or purple
2. Fancy

So I'll give her the color she wants as long as it meets my above requirements (plus anything you guys think I may have missed). I'm thinking possibly a Ruger Lcp? What would you guys recommend and why? Please steer us in the right direction. So let's hear it

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My wife was the same. She took the CCW class and we are currently waiting for a S&W Bodyguard 38spl revolver. She is not able to rack the slide on a semi auto. So a revolver is her best option. Let your wife start out with a .22 and work up in caliber as long as she's comfortable. That way you'll find a caliber she's comfortable with.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Very good points. I tried to get her to rack the slide on my p250 a while back and she couldn't. I was just discussing with a friend about starting her out on a .22lr. Let her get comfortable before shooting anything with recoil. I'm not much of a revolver guy but that might be the best option for her

Mockstar

Full Access Member
It's gonna take practice. My wife had a hard time racking the slide on my 9mm, but after she got the hang of it, it wasn't even an issue. No issue with the .40 either anymore.

Also a down side of the revolver in .38 is there is a definite increase of felt recoil thru the hand compared to semi auto in a smaller caliber. If she is already afraid of the kick, this may be a deal breaker right off the bat after the first time she shoots it.

I say start small. .22lr revolver or something like a Walther P22/ S&W M&P22 (Walther makes S&W 22s) semi auto, and go from there.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
My LGS has a couple of these. Charter Arms Pink Lady. Mid $300 range. Not sure how reliable they are.

54613.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My LGS has a couple of these. Charter Arms Pink Lady. Mid $300 range. Not sure how reliable they are.

View attachment 744

Lol....my wife has seen some of the "lady" guns and doesn't want one. She has her heart set on that S&W Bodyguard. Basic black with the built in laser. If someone is unfortunate enough to mess with her, she says she'll have no problem making them stop. And she doesn't want to be cute while doing it.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
All great advice guys. I think a trip to the range that has a variety of rentals is in order. I'll start her with something in .22lr so the recoil won't scare her at first. Then buikd her up until we find what she's comfortable with

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I just made a vid of the technique my wife uses to rack the slide on my M&P40c. It's more a grab and push (strong hand) movement as opposed to a pull back movement.
Gimme a second to load it up. Obviously some women don't have the hand strength we do so she had to find a way that worked for her. Maybe this technique will work for some other members "significant others" just learning.

EDIT: CLICK LINK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13BmGD3iKOY&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
It's not letting me view the video on my phone. Whatever my wife winds up carrying will always have one chambered. Sometimes there isnt enough time to chamber a round.

Good video
YouTube

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
That's actually the same method I use. Learned it when I was a kid and wasn't quite strong enough to do it. Now it's just the way I do it without think about it. I've heard it referred to as power stroking it. Just make sure your hand isn't too far down on the slide or it might get pinched, especially on a Beretta 92/M9/96 style.

My recommendation would actually be a small revolver however. Stupidly simple to operate. No operating of a slide, don't have to remember if there is a round in the chamber (there always is), no safety to remember to turn off. Just pull the trigger and it goes bang. And IMO can take more abuse and be run dirtier do to less delicate moving parts. I believe a revolver is the most reliable option. Will she carry on her, or in her purse?

I suggest one of the S&W 340's, 442, or Bodygaurd 38.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk]Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women - YouTube[/ame]

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I was thinking a revolver may have been the answer until I watched the video in my previous post. Now I'm leaning towards a semi-auto again. At the end of the day my wife will make the decision on what she's more comfortable with though

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I was thinking a revolver may have been the answer until I watched the video in my previous post. Now I'm leaning towards a semi-auto again. At the end of the day my wife will make the decision on what she's more comfortable with though

not sure which vid you were trying to post, but the link didn't work

Members online

No members online now.