Greetings from the NW burbs of Chicago

fyredawg

Hey everyone finally have a break in the action for a quick intro.

Names Dan originally from NW In. Did a stint in the military '90-'93. When I got out I worked for a major metropolitan residential builder moonlighting in a bar and at a local career/poc fire dept. I eventually went full time there for a few years and then moved to a career dept to present. I also work for a specialized rescue company.

I'm married and my wife and I have a wonderful 3yo(going on 22) daughter and a 2yo Cane Corso Karma.

Prior to my military endeavor I had done some hunting and had limited exposure to firearms. Now many years later I am getting into the mix of things again. Over the past few years I've picked up a glock 22,P226 mk25,Sig m4, and an Sr9c for my wife.

I'm here to pull on everyone's knowledge and personal experience thus increasing mine.

Currently with the possibility of cc here in Il. I am looking at these options for us.

Kimber solo *top runner
xdS
Springfield GI .45 **out of the running
Loaded
emp .40
Ruger p345 me
P95 wife
Glock 27 genIII **out of the running

I have not shot any of these and only had the opportunity to hold some of them. Input would be welcomed.

Also I would like to build an ar in 6.8spc. and pick up a mossy 590a1. Along with a Rem 700 why you say? ugh just because.

So far I've found some good reads and I'm glad to be here Dan :beer:

Last edited:

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Welcome Dan. This is Tim (SeTxSS) from tbssowners btw.

There's a few members here that have XDs's and that's one of the top guns on my list to look at for a CCW. I also plan on looking at a sig p238 and the sig 1911 ultra carry. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some of them in the near future before making a purchase. I'd suggest going to a local range that rents and try several different guns and see what fits you best. Looks like you've got a few good starting points

fyredawg

Hey Tim nice to see some familiar faces. I agree with your suggestion. Problem being most I listed aren't available as rentals here. I plan on shooting the xdS locally soon. :D

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
There's at least one more of us on here (Bullnettles). Come to Texas, we'll find you the guns you need. Don't rule out the ruger lcp either. Supposedly a decent pocket pistol and it won't break the bank.

Out of curiosity why do you wanna build a AR in 6.8spc?

fyredawg

If I could take my job there I would! I know he let me know about dis place.
Why build a 6.8....I'm coming down to shoot boar :D no really I thought it would be neat to do....I have a 5.56....because I can...I like saying 6.8spc lol. I probably should just do .300blk.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Hello & Welcome to the forum!!

The Ruger LC9 is also a good choice. Bought one couple of months ago and really like it. I'm also building a 6.8spc myself for deer.

SWSS

Full Access Member
hello and welcome!
After "hanging" around here awhile looks like i may test drive an XDS...

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Welcome!

I think your top runner is a great choice, I love my Kimber.

Having said that, I just picked up an XD-s today. Still haven't shot it, but it carried and conceals very well! ;)

fyredawg

Hello & Welcome to the forum!!

The Ruger LC9 is also a good choice. Bought one couple of months ago and really like it. I'm also building a 6.8spc myself for deer.

I will add that to the list to shoot. Well hot damn 6.8spc for everyone! Thanks

hello and welcome!
After "hanging" around here awhile looks like i may test drive an XDS...

Probably doing this Sunday before the Bears beating.

Welcome!

I think your top runner is a great choice, I love my Kimber.

Having said that, I just picked up an XD-s today. Still haven't shot it, but it carried and conceals very well! ;)

In Chester Cheetah voice...."Hmmm yes I saw that."

Get to throwing some rounds down range and report back. I read its rough out of the gate but in time manageable.

I'm thinking I may give the XD sub a go also. :banghead:

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Welcome , might as well look at the gluck 26 also.You seem to have a wide range of price and all mentioned are fine guns.Might look at Kimber CDP. Throw in a couple of Kel-tecs for rough work.

fyredawg

Hello and thanks

I love my 22 but as far as the 26/27 I would prefer a manual/palm safety for myself and the wife for first time cc. I wish I could shrink my Mk25 LOL

I did the cdp is beautiful. Unfortunately a bit more than I can spend. I would go up to $1k if it was a great fit. The entry ultra being @ $900 msrp is more my top end. Now I'm looking at a para warthog :banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Hello and thanks

I love my 22 but as far as the 26/27 I would prefer a manual/palm safety for myself and the wife for first time cc. I wish I could shrink my Mk25 LOL

I did the cdp is beautiful. Unfortunately a bit more than I can spend. I would go up to $1k if it was a great fit. The entry ultra being @ $900 msrp is more my top end. Now I'm looking at a para warthog :banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You can get the Ultra Carry II like mine for a little over $700.

fyredawg

Bnib? Where you shopping? I've simply been lurking on forums reading haven't looked at pricing other than msrp's. Buds $849

Last edited:

fyredawg

Thanks I don't believe I've cruised those. Wish my local shop had something other than just the pro carry II to shoot....like the utra aegis II. I hate having to decide! I'm taking out a second mortage and buying them all!

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Thanks I don't believe I've cruised those. Wish my local shop had something other than just the pro carry II to shoot....like the utra aegis II. I hate having to decide! I'm taking out a second mortage and buying them all!

Great idea! Not really....

If you have shot the Pro Carry, the Ultra will not disappoint. The Ultra is just a little smaller, but it still feels and acts like a full sized 1911 to me. And my favorite feature is the very short trigger travel and audible trigger reset.

fyredawg

Hello Viper & Arckadian thanks for the welcome.

Scott I have not. I've always stayed away from the $$$$ cases/rentals. Now with cc looming in the future for us I can more easily justify purchasing something of that quality. I will Def shoot the pro carry II along with xdS...XD sub...SA 1911ultra compact.

I hear ya about the trigger I plan on sending my Sig to Bill Springfield for some work.

fyredawg

Anyone carry XD sub? I have only shot my friend's XD .40...kinda felt like I was holding a 2x4 was wondering if it was the same feel for the sub. I would imagine the answer is yes.

Also anybody have a para ordinance warthog?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts