Handloading components for a gun I don't even own yet.

cce1302

Full Access Member
I just bought enough primers and powder to load a thousand rounds of .45 acp. My friend is a shooting instructor and has a lot of cast .45 acp ball and a lot of brass he's giving me to get me started.

I don't even have a 1911 yet...

STF

Full Access Member
I do stuff like this all the time. I was collecting 300 blackout brass for a while and I didn't even have my gun finished. Whats worse is I've never even loaded anything and I don't have a single piece of loading equipment yet. :perkinswhatever:

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Nothing wrong with prepping for a gun you don't have, its not like 45 acp is not popular and you get a head start on loading your own brass and there's alot of satisfaction that comes with that if you ask me...Concealed 27

Mockstar

Full Access Member
"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

Words to live buy.

^^^This^^^

I've had 2000 large pistol magnum primers and 500 .44 mag Semi Wadcutters laying around for years, and am just starting to get my reloading room set up now. Get it while you can. It doesn't expire.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
If the world goes to the pansy liberal s you can always barter .

thats why i try to buy ammo whenever i can i have enough for me to shoot whenever i want but i buy ammo at range so i can keep my stash of bullets for this reason god forbid i need too......Concealed 27

Arckadian

I am looking at getting a reloader and supplies so I can load my own .45 ACP rounds as well. Where would you suggest looking for supplies online?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I am looking at getting a reloader and supplies so I can load my own .45 ACP rounds as well. Where would you suggest looking for supplies online?

I like and recommend the Lee Classic Turret. It has four die positions and can be used as a progressive or single stage machine. If you buy it as a kit you get the reloading manual and a number of other pieces you'll need.

Others will say you need a Dillon, Hornady or RCBS which are great machines but I find you get more for your money with Lee. Take a look at this kit and see if it's a good starting point for you. Midsouth is also a good place for supplies. They have good prices and didn't gouge while the scare was on. Things are still difficult to find. The example below is low stock so you might want to act pretty fast. It is an excellent price. Just add some .45acp dies to it and your consumables (primers, powder, projectiles) and you'll on your way.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690304

Last edited:

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I know how you feel. I have started collecting 6.8spc brass and bullets and have no 6.8spc. I have built the lower and have a stripped upper. Still have a ways to go :gr_grin:

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
6.8 is on my wish list ....moneys real tight so maybe next year sometime... give us some picks of what u got so far please. Thanks brother, Concealed 27

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I'll try & post them up tomorrow if I get a chance. I feel you about the money. This build came to a complete halt back in the early spring.

cce1302

Full Access Member
I got a call that the SR1911 I'm waiting for came in to my friend's range on consignment for $700. Used, like new. :emotions34:

I'm guessing the seller bought it from the LGS around here that had it advertised new for full retail ($880). :whymewhyme::facepalm:

No thanks. Not when I can buy it on GB for $610 NIB + $25 shipping +$5 transfer. :drool2:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I got a call that the SR1911 I'm waiting for came in to my friend's range on consignment for $700. Used, like new. :emotions34:

I'm guessing the seller bought it from the LGS around here that had it advertised new for full retail ($880). :whymewhyme::facepalm:

No thanks. Not when I can buy it on GB for $610 NIB + $25 shipping +$5 transfer. :drool2:

Counter offer. Pay cash. I can usually get a few bucks knocked off when paying with the green stuff. Doesn't hurt to ask and you'll still be patronizing your local gun guy.

cce1302

Full Access Member
Counter offer. Pay cash. I can usually get a few bucks knocked off when paying with the green stuff. Doesn't hurt to ask and you'll still be patronizing your local gun guy.

It's a consignment. They can't negotiate on consignments. If the seller drops the price to $600 I'd go for it, but at $700 I'll let someone else have it. I don't want it that badly.

There are a lot of FFLs around here I'd use before that one anyway. At least 5.

Arckadian

I like and recommend the Lee Classic Turret. It has four die positions and can be used as a progressive or single stage machine. If you buy it as a kit you get the reloading manual and a number of other pieces you'll need.

Others will say you need a Dillon, Hornady or RCBS which are great machines but I find you get more for your money with Lee. Take a look at this kit and see if it's a good starting point for you. Midsouth is also a good place for supplies. They have good prices and didn't gouge while the scare was on. Things are still difficult to find. The example below is low stock so you might want to act pretty fast. It is an excellent price. Just add some .45acp dies to it and your consumables (primers, powder, projectiles) and you'll on your way.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690304

I will look into that product thank you for the information. I am looking at using a Stainless steel top of a tool box to make a reloading table.

FloridaGuy

I sweep up all brass at the range that no one is claiming. At this point I have close to 50 pounds of 9mm brass and I sold all of my 9mm guns.

I am stocking up on 9mm brass because once I can find a S&W Model 986 then I will start reloading it. The 986 is S&W new 9mm revolver.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Start looking for powder. Brass, primers, and bullets are easy these days. Powder is the most recent phantom product. I just started loading a few months ago. I really enjoy it. Great therapy to head out to the shop, kick on some music, and crank out some rounds. First and most important buy at least one and preferably multiple reloading manuals.

ViperJeff

Administrator
I sweep up all brass at the range that no one is claiming. At this point I have close to 50 pounds of 9mm brass and I sold all of my 9mm guns.

I am stocking up on 9mm brass because once I can find a S&W Model 986 then I will start reloading it. The 986 is S&W new 9mm revolver.

Thats a good idea, I might have to start doing that too

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts