Household Critters

HouserSam

Hi, everyone! Here's a new thread to discuss the furry companions in our lives, our pets. This is our pet, Simon. He’s a cute Pomeranian who loves to play catch with the kids, chew on his dog bone, and chill out in his dog bed. He may be a handful sometimes, but he’s a good dog and friend to us, overall; an irreplaceable part of the family. How about you, fellas? What are your household pets?

4.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Wife and I have had furry kids most of our married life. We made a pact that we would not adopt anymore for awhile so that we can take off and travel whenever the schedule would allow. Been pet free a couple years now.

The house stays cleaner, no more pet food, grooming or vet bills. And the opportunity to go to Kiawah Island presented itself and we're going next week. Been a good decision not to have pets so far. We enjoyed them while they were with us but we're enjoying our new found freedom too.

Arckadian

I use to have a cat that was me best friend. However since her passing I have mostly avoided getting another pet that was special to me. We do have some out door cats at the house, but I don't really have any attachment to them.

oppo

Full Access Member
This is our llama Riley and that is Lucy, the youngest of our 5 goats, playing on him.

20170319_182206.jpg

This is a picture my wife took of Bo, my lab. He was retrieving birds for me at 5 months old.

273ChoctoneColourFadedVig.jpg

This is our newest addition, Laney. She is a pit mix we rescued.

20170916_215239.jpg

We also have my daughter's long haired Chihuahua that we got stuck with. Fortunately, she doesn't have a typical Chihuahua personality and is a real sweetheart.

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Unfortunately, right after I posted, my lab became very ill very quickly. Come to find out, it was complications from cancer and beyond treatment. Not gonna lie, I went through an awful lot of Kleenex at the vet. After some soul searching, I decided my next dog would be another rescue. After some looking around, I found a shelter not too far away that was full so I took Laney and went for a visit this Saturday. One dog in particular caught my attention. They had him listed as a 2 year old mastiff mix but who knows for sure. He is extremely lean and a little underweight but still 90+ pounds. He should be 100 or so once he fills out just a little. 2 things were immediately obvious. He was never mistreated and his previous owner had no business raising a large high energy dog. He is adjusting well, his manners are already improving, and I think he already understands his new name. Anyway, here is Luke, the newest addition to the family.

FullSizeR_1.jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

20180317_133753.jpg

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Wow, what do you do? We have a like post, no sad post like FB. Damn, sorry to hear about your Lab. I dread the day I have to give one of mine up. They are about 11-12 closest I can tell, cuz they were both rescue dogs too. I've had them both right at about 10 years now, maybe a few month longer. They're my bestest buddies. My female boxer is showing her age with hip problems and pain when she first gets up and moving around and can no longer get up on the bed, so with my bad back I have to lift her up there since she sleeps with me every night. My male husky can still run around like a teenager and he gets on the bed to make sure I'm asleep and his buddy the boxed is asleep then he jumps down on the floor to sleep by my bed on the hardwood floor cuz he gets hot in the bed.

I will not get new dogs when these die. I'm 52 now, and I feel lucky to still be here myself. Just haven't felt good in years so my likelyhood of making it to a ripe old age is slim and I'm good with that. But these dogs love me like no other and I wouldn't want them to be without me. I hope they go before me even though I'm going to hate it, but I don't want them grieving over me being gone, so I won't get another dog that would have to grieve over me being gone. I guess that's the part of living alone for many years and treating your dogs like they're your kids. They love unconditionally and when you're the only one in the household, that's what happens. You become their life. They love the grandkids when they come over and any other person too if you're not a bad guy.

That new dog looks like if he had a harness, he could pull your car to the nearest gas station if you ran out of gas.

oppo

Full Access Member
Thanks and yeah, he is solid. He is basically 0% body fat right now. Thankfully, his leash manners are improving quickly because at first, he would about yank your arm off. He is a smart dog but his previous owner obviously didn't know how to handle a large dog. He is pretty willful and not used to listening but he is learning because I don't play that crap. I give lot's of love but obedience isn't optional. He will get there before long. Now, if I can just get my wife trained, lol.

I have been trying to figure out what he is and I am thinking they are likely right about one of the mastiff breeds and I am pretty sure the other part is Weimaranar. He has a lot of their characteristics including those eyes and slight blue/grey tint to his coat. Where he differs besides the mostly tan coat is that he is darker around the muzzle and, of course, larger and much heavier built. He does seem to have some aggression with other male dogs but does well with Laney and our little Chihuahua, Cali. So far, he has shown absolutely zero aggression towards people and did well around my grandson.

I have had several friends with boxers. They are really sweet dogs, great with kids. A couple of them are currently looking for a puppy after losing their female to cancer.

oppo

Full Access Member
FB_IMG_1521454796131.jpg

Here is one I found of the Chihuahua and as you can tell, Laney is a spoiled mess.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

That dog looks part velociraptor.

Cool dog. As mentioned before, we are pet less right now. At this point in our lives, we like the freedom to pick up and go on vacation on a moments notice. We may get another dog someday. And we think it will be another white german shepherd like the one I had as a kid. But that will be down the road aways.

oppo

Full Access Member
IMG_2459.jpg

Luke with our Chihuahua. Like a typical female, she thinks she is the alpha. :rofl:

oppo

Full Access Member
It is alwaus a crapshoot trying to guess was a mixed breed is, especially without ever seeing either parent but upon further figuring, I am thinking Luke may not be mixed at all. He may simply be a Rhodesian Ridgeback. The thought crossed my mind before but I didn't realize that it actually isn't uncommon for them not to have the ridge. His personallaity does fit the breed to a T. I will never know for sure but it is an interesting puzzle to try and figure out.

Rhodesian-Ridgeback-640x480.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
FB_IMG_1524840319301.jpg

Didn't think we had any pictures of him but this just popped up on the wife's FB. I wish I had some better pictures, particularly of him in his prime. This was Rock just before he passed. He was the most loyal and intelligent animal I have ever been around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts