Just started reloading

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I had posted earlier in another thread of my recently started reloading hobby. I figured I just put all my pics and updates in my own thread. So here it is.

After all the crap that went down months ago with hard to find ammo and all the other nonsense, I decided I didn't want to be without my favorite calibers for any length of time again. Solution........reload my own.

Step 1. Lumber. I went to Menards, and spent $90 on 2 eight foot 4x4s, 1 eight by four sheet of 3/4" red oak plywood, and 5 two by fours. Finished product was a bench that measures 37"X60"X24"

DSCN3768.jpg

DSCN3770.jpg

DSCN3776.jpg

The bench is rock solid, and lag bolted to the wall studs. The four by eight sheet of plywood was ripped in half, and doubled up giving me an 1 1/2" of benchtop. Next phase was to apply 4 coats of Polly, and add a vice, since it is going to be used as a workbench also.

DSCN3782.jpg

Unsure of what kind of press I want, I was able to find a NIB RCBS Partner single stage press for a great price to start with.

DSCN3801.jpg

Next up was supplies, and tools. I was basically starting from scratch. I had already had a scale, and a set of calipers, but I had to buy the rest.

Dillon case gauge .223
Dillon Case Lube
RCBS kinetic bullet puller
RCBS Full Length dies for .223
RCBS Carbide dies for .44Mag/.44Spl
RCBS .22-.50 Cal funnel
RCBS Stuck Case removal tool
RCBS Shell holders #10, #27, #18, #16
RCBS Primer pocket brush
Hornady Primer pocket reamer
RCBS deburring tool
Lee Universal Decapping die

As of right now the only things I feel that I need are a media tumbler, a powder measure and case trimmer. I'd like to get a nice digital scale too.

Still saving my pennies for when I find and RCBS Summit press. I don't shoot enough to need a turret press, but I am gonna need something a bit more beefy than the Partner Press. If I can't find the Summit soon, it will be a Rock Chucker Supreme.

I am still buying primers, powder and bullets, and I should have a shipment of 55gr FMJ .223 arriving shortly from X-Treme bullets.com If all goes well with those, I'll probly get my .40 and 9mm from them too.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I bought the tumbler yesterday, and a 2lb jug of the ($8) Lyman walnut media. Dumb Idea..........After that I went to pet store and paid ($14) for a 10lb bag of the lizzard walnut litter!!

I'm in the process of tumbling all my .44 shells today.

DSCN3815.jpg

DSCN3816.jpg

DSCN3817.jpg

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Found the Bitch Creek while in Wyoming. Grand Teton Brewing Co. Victor Idaho. 6% Alc by Vol.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Should have told you about the pet store. I always buy my walnut at Petsmart for a much cheaper price then the reloading kind. I use Frankford Arsenal brass polish with the walnut media and the brass is super clean when it's done.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Well PHUK!! lesson learned. That red lyman crap makes a hell of a mess with dust! tumbler is going outside next time! It only looked like a light dusting on top of the tumbler, and within a couple feet of it, but after 6 hours of tumbling today........I can rub my finger on a shelf 15ft away, and find red dust.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
My bullets from X-Treme Bullets Inc. came today. Just out of curiosity, I weighed 10 of them. They were all right at 55-55.1 grains, and they look fantastic too. I only bought 500 for now, but if they shoot as good as they look, I'll definitely be ordering more, and in other calibers. These were $50 for 500 with free shipping.

DSCN3820.jpg
DSCN3821.jpg

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Sounds like a lead addict. Will you cast you own bullets? All the neighbors wheel weights will disappear.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
LOL No interest in casing my own bullets yet................but I do have molds for the .50cal muzzleloader balls tho. Hmmmm May need to know how to do that someday.

SWSS

Full Access Member
so is the head (haha, i said head) from x-treme good stuff? I am gonna get .30 cal

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
LOL No interest in casing my own bullets yet................but I do have molds for the .50cal muzzleloader balls tho. Hmmmm May need to know how to do that someday.

I have a source for lead wheel weights and I have the stuff to actually smelt it. I need to get some molds in different calibers so I can cast the boolits. Then there's the lubing of the boolits too.

SWSS

Full Access Member
been pricing out to restart reloading, DANG! depending on the cal, I can buy full ammo cheaper than reloading...biggest crapper was on my 7mm Magnum and the 30cal...

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I did the math on my 5.56 rounds, and it adds up to about 30 cents a round, I'm not exactly saving money yet until I start to reuse the brass.

I got into reloading as a hobby, and also instead of going to the store and looking at an empty shelf, I can just reload what I just shot. Getting set up, and stocking up on supplies is a killer, but I think it will be worth it later on.

Last edited:

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Rock Chucker Supreme bolted down and ready to go. Bought an RCBS powder trickler too.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.