Knife Identification

RobP

Hello all

I wonder if you can help me. I'm trying to identify an old bayonet that was found during a house clearance.

It is 25 inches (640mm) from its tip to the base of the hilt. The blade is less than 1 inch (20mm) at the widest point.

There are three photos to help, but any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• DSC_0346.jpg
    DSC_0346.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0347.jpg
    DSC_0347.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0348.jpg
    DSC_0348.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 10

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Are there any visible markings on the blade i.e. proofmarks's, dates etc on blade or handle. Inspect it good cause without markings it's gonna be hard to figure out. Try to find a gun show near ya and bring it there to get some help if we can't help ya here.....Welcome to Weapons Forum.
Concealed 27

RobP

Thank you Concealed. The only visible marking is a serial number possiby 53149 on the curved sideguard.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Looks like a French Gras model 1874 bayonet.

See if that info gives you any leads.

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fren1874.htm

1472.JPG

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well looking at Ebay they range from about $25 to $300 according to condition and if it has a scabbard or not. Based on the condition of the one in the pictures you posted I'd say you are closer to the $25 amount.

Arckadian

The bayonet does look very worn, I wouldn't mind seeing picture of it when it got cleaned up some though.

Members online

No members online now.