Left Handed Shooting Question

11B_UntilTheEnd

So say I want to expose as little of me as possible. I am a right handed shooter and right eye dominant. I need to lean out left of some cover to shoot. I want to be able to switch my ambidextrous rifle to my left shoulder. Do you still use your dominant right eye? Or do you switch to your left eye aiming. Also take into account the army taught me to shoot both eyes open.

ViperJeff

Administrator
I'm right handed left eye dominant

I shoot left handed using my left eye. I also shoot right handed, and I use my right eye. I can only speak from personal experience. I'm much more accurate when I shoot where the eye and hand are on the same side

Bluez

Full Access Member
So say I want to expose as little of me as possible. I am a right handed shooter and right eye dominant. I need to lean out left of some cover to shoot. I want to be able to switch my ambidextrous rifle to my left shoulder. Do you still use your dominant right eye? Or do you switch to your left eye aiming. Also take into account the army taught me to shoot both eyes open.

11B:
Dont know what years your training was.. so I will just start from the beginning:
Modern Infantry Science knows a couple schools of thought on this.

This is generally accepted to be best practices:

- First train on doing everything perfectly mirrored and shooting left around the barricade .. shooting left eye ,pistol grip in left hand etc.. Make a serious effort and see if you can have any success (many people never manage this but you must try it and try it hard, dont give up too quickly)
- If and only if, that doesnt work for you, hold the rifle in your normal right handed hold but just use your left eye...shooting around the barricade. If you use a red dot or holographic weapons sights you will suffer no parallax error in your point of impact.
- If and only if, this STILL is unworkable for you just retain your normal weapons grip and aim and shoot around the left side of the barricade that way..not adjusting your grip or aim... just taking extra care to keep your elbows tucked in.

Summary: The theory is that some folks never master their offside shooting well enough.. to benefit enough from the reduced exposure to make up for their less accurate and quick fire when shooting offhand/offeye.

The SpecOpcs guys have such a generous Ammo budget they can and will train to be as, or nearly as, good offhand/offeye as strong side /dominant eye.... But even in that community there is a movement afoot to consider the summary point above.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts