looking for a good camping/survival knife

ny screw

ok first i know the old saying the best knife is the one you have with you. That being said im looking for something i can take camping/hiking with me that whont be to bulky. I also would like to to be something i can practice bush-craft or bayoneting with. Right now i thinking kbar usmc style, kbar bk2, rat 5, or esse 5 ,or the cold steel srk. Any opinions or suggestions /stories what has worked for you ,or your preference is more then welcomed .

Arckadian

Well I have only seen two styles of Bayonet myself..... one was the "Rubber Duck", m16 mockup, that I had in the military and an actual baynet.... it was nasty and rusty and generally not very sharp... that being said I would not want to be on the wrong end of it....

Again that being said what do you consider bulky?

ny screw

i dont care about weight looking for something blade wise that dosnt exceed 7 or 8 inches due to the rules around here.....over all something i can comfortably wear on my hip or on a pack that dosnt interfere much....the bayoneting wood isnt that big a deal i more want a whatever knife that can handle a variety of stuff definitely a full tang fixed blade

Last edited:

Hocker52

I just recently bought a couple of Cold Steel knives. The Recon Scout and the Trail Master. Havent gotten to use them yet, but I will say that Im not pleased with the sharpness of the blades. I would expect a factory blade to shave the hair off of your arm. Which neither of them can do.

infidel

I just picked up a Tom Brown Tracker. There are three versions. TB 01,02,03.

01 is closest to the original design and is made of 1095 carbon. Big and heavy. The 02 is much smaller made with the same 1095 steel. The 03 is the middle size and is made of ATS 34 stainless steele.

Some will say this knife is a gimmick. I disagree. It will need a better edge put on it but once that's done this is an excellent survival tool.

It is expensive though.

I will try to post up some pics this weekend of my every day carry bag. It contains this knife, Ruger 10/22 Takedown, Ruger LC9, and compatible ammo for both.

Last edited:

ninja man

Full Access Member
if it going to be a utility knife then it doesnt need to be super sharp. the lower the bevel angle the sharper the blade, but also it is less durable. as a (former) sushi chef we had the sharpest knives around, but did a lot of sharpening too. a smaller steeper beveled blade will last longer and be less at risk for chipping.

ny screw

great info guys so far i think im going to steer away from cold steel an check out these tom brown knives. thanks a lot

762Shooter

I just recently bought a couple of Cold Steel knives. The Recon Scout and the Trail Master. Havent gotten to use them yet, but I will say that Im not pleased with the sharpness of the blades. I would expect a factory blade to shave the hair off of your arm. Which neither of them can do.
Contact Cold Steel they will make it right. I have 2 CS sheath knives and they are both scary sharp. The Master Hunter field dressed 8 whitetail deer before needing retouching. The recon Tanto that I have has a mirror finish edge and will shave and cut cleanly. You would not want to drop this on you finger or anythig.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
I've heard good things about the SOG Bowie. In particular a really good review of it in the woods doing multiple different things. Cutting, chopping, and some other things. Sounds like it'd be a good option for what your wanting as long as it meets size specifications.

mopower318

Check out the thread I started with my gerber. Helluva knife IMO. Full tang with an a$$ kicker on the handle end and holes drilled so you can turn it into a spear head. Oh and the sheath can be set up to mount almost anywhere...

infidel

IMG_3414.jpg

Tom Brown Tracker

enluzenment

You should cruise the fixed blades on bladehq. ESEE makes awesome knives, I highly recommend them. There are a lot of really nice knives out there, not sure if you said what your price range is, that would help narrow it down greatly. ESEE, Ontario, Kbar, Brous, TOPS, Meyerco to name a few are all great brands that I can personally vouch for. There are so many more. Like I said bladehq is good, notjustknives has good prices too. Everyone wants a "do it all" knife but the truth is every knife does some things better than others. Be realistic and decide what you'll be doing most and put priority on that. Be careful though, one knife is never enough! Good luck

GreatWhiteHunter

I just bought a Buck Knives model 119, pictured in my sig.

Nice knife, sharp as, will cut the hair off your arm out of the box. 6 in blade, 10 1/2 in over all, carries nice, haven't used it on an animal yet, but regular camp and bush duties it does real well I reckon. No military knife, but I wouldn't be afraid to have it with me out in the bush. Nice knife for a good price, at $60 can't go wrong.

13echo4

I have 3 Buck suggestions. You didn't mention anything about size so here's 3 to fit most size issues.
1)Buck Hoodlum 060
2)Buck Nighthawk 650
3)Buck CSAR-T 095,690,680

davbell22602

I like the one I got from Homier tool sale one year. Dang thing sharp enough to cut through frozen ground beef.

knife.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.