Magazine tension

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I was just wondering if anyone else unloads mags that you have for Carrry to give spring relief . I do it every couple months and carry a different gun for a while and leave those mags empty for a few weeks . Is this overkill? I just think giving relief on spring would prevent any mag issues . I never have any problems with any of my Glocks but was just wondering what y'all think and do. Thanks for your input,
Concealed 27

" God created man, Samual Colt made them equal, Gaston Glock made them perfect"

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Constant spring pressure isn't a problem. It won't form a memory. What wears a spring out is compression/decompression. A spring is designed to function for a certain number of repetitions. Think of it as designed metal fatigue.

For instance with a garage door spring. A stock spring is designed to operate the door for approx. 10K cycles. That's up and down 10K times. As the door goes down it increases tension on the spring and as it raises it releases tension on the spring. If I install a door and it's never raised. That tension will remain in the spring forever. The spring should never break barring rust through or the anchor bracket pulls out of the wood.

Magazine spring is the same. You load it with ammo and it compresses the spring. That pressure should remain constant barring it getting hot for some reason which changes the metals structure somehow.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I find some of my double stack mags sticking 223 , 45acp and ak. Don't think they are getting a set in the spring tension just sticking. Not getting used enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts