Marlin 795 - any owners? Opinions?

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
I know there is a huge market for the Ruger 10/22. They are good little guns...but I'm on a miniscule budget since I just bought my XDS. The 795 appears to be a pretty reliable little thing, is easily sub-$200, and really all I want to do is throw a small scope on it and plink...or maybe kill a rabbit or two out a the family's ranch during the summer.

Any opinions one way or the other on it?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I have a buddy that had what I believe is the Marlin 795. It was clip fed, not the Tube mag 60 I know for sure. Seemed like an OK gun.

Just my opinion, and I understand budgets, the Marlin 795 for $140 or $60 more to get the Base Ruger 10/22, if I had to wait another 2 months to get the Ruger 10/22, then that's what I'd do. Guns are heirlooms to be passed on and on. I've had my first 10/22 for over 20 years and it works great. Been beat to hell, but works great and I poke a squirrels eye ball out at 25 yards with it. Look at the overall big picutre of the $60 difference spread over 5 years and you know you'll have it for well over that. You're looking at a $1 a month difference or .25 cents a week to have a much more versatile rifle that's been tried and true for over 40 years. As your budget gets better, you might even decide to do some mods to your 10/22 and the sky is the limit as to what can be done with them.

The other thing nice about 10/22's, is you can usually find spare brand new or lightly used OE parts, like barrels, stocks, bolts and things of that nature because there are so many out there that mod their 10/22 then sell off the pull off parts. With their being so many available, you can usually pick them up for a good price in the event you damage your 10/22. Where as the Marlin 795, you'd probably end up paying full manufacture retail price for parts and at $140, you'd probably just put it away as a parts gun or sell it as non working. JMO :shrug:

I'm sure the Marlin is a good rifle. Everything I've ever touched Marlin was good. I really like the Marlin Lever Actions, 336CS 30/30 pistol grip and the .444 Marlin Lever Action. Talk about a round that will kick your ass. If it doesn't, it'll sure sit you down on your ass. :rofl:

Last edited:

79k10

I bought a 795 last week, few more days and I'll Have it. I looked at the 10/22. Seemed like most reviews on the marlin were good and comparable to he 10/22 so I went with the marlin. I know the 10/22 has tons more personalizing options and everyone says good things about it, but for a plinker I think the 795 will work. Guess I'll find out next week when I take possession .

How's that xds? I'm about to purchase the xd40.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
:waytogo: Another GMSB'er !!! Bought it last week? And a few more days??? What's up with that? Law change that I'm unaware of? I usually walk in, fill out the ATF form, 10-20 minutes later I'm walking out with it.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Well here's the thing - the 795 has a bolt hold-open feature whereas the 10/22 does not. That is a feature I REALLY like, since I will probably be buying a pair of these for my sons (easy to verify that the gun is empty). I don't plan on modding it at all so aftermarket support isn't that big of a deal (probably a good thing...I'd get myself in trouble buying stuff for a 10/22 :D).

I guess I'm looking more for reasons why I shouldn't buy a 795 (reliability issues, quality issues, etc), not reasons why the 10/22 is better. ;)

Every review on the 795 that I've seen/read has been overwhelmingly positive, and it has the features that I want. I'm just looking to see if anyone has personal experience with one that would recommend against it for some reason.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Try another excuse. The 10/22 DOES have a bolt hold open feature. It's under the gun near the mag release. :rofl:

So we'll buy that you'd get Mid Itchy and spend all your money because that is true.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Sorry, let me rephrase - a LAST SHOT hold open feature. ;)

TRUE, The Bolt Open on a 10/22 is manual. And it's also not such a good idea to store the gun with the bolt open as some might like to do as a safety precaution.

Seems your sold on the 795. $140 isn't a huge upset. If you're still concerned and think you might not like it, just buy one at first and make sure you like it.

oppo

Full Access Member
I actually just bought one of these as a gift the other day. I haven't had a chance to see what it will do yet but my understanding is that it is basically a model 60 without the tube magazine. I have a model 60 and a 10/22 and my little brother also has a 10/22. Of those three, the model 60 is the most accurate. If you are going to leave it stock, I highly doubt you would go wrong with the 795.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
It would be left stock. Maybe some tweaking of the stock internals to lighten the trigger a bit, but nothing drastic. Initially I was going to buy this as a family gun, but now I'm thinking that I'll put a couple of them on Layaway at the local LGS and surprise both of my boys for Christmas. We'll be out at the ranch with the rest of the family for a couple weeks around then, so plenty of opportunities for shooting will exist, weather permitted. They'll be really excited. :)

JTKustoms

I have a 795, you can check it out in my albums. I've put thousands of rounds through it and absolutly love it. It was my first gun so i just wanted something cheap that i could shoot all the time and it always performs. I have a 3-9 adjustable scope and a bipod on it and it's very accurate for the shooting i use it for (usually 25 yards indoors). But overall i can highly recommend the 795

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Fuzz, Have you decided where you're going to buy it yet? Around here, the best price I've seen is Academy Sprorts for $140.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
No I haven't yet...I was thinking about plunking down $100 at the LGS and putting two of them on layaway, but now I'm thinking I'll just pull that money out of my bank account every payday, pocket the money, and save it until I can just buy both of them outright. My LGS will pricematch any normal prices, but some of the bigger box stores usually have sales around the holidays. If I hold out, I might be able to get them for $125/ea or less. At least by not putting anything on layaway, I'm not locking myself into a price.

79k10

:waytogo: Another GMSB'er !!! Bought it last week? And a few more days??? What's up with that? Law change that I'm unaware of? I usually walk in, fill out the ATF form, 10-20 minutes later I'm walking out with it.

yeah, we were getting to talking about plinkers and stuff in GSMB, so when i saw your link i had to join. lol

10 days in CA. and big 5 makes you wait till the 11th. lol...
so it was rifle,scope, cable lock,bore snake,cleaning kit and a case for a little under 300. its a good looking tool, im stoked! anyone know if those .22lr 1911 looking deals are any good?

1F9271D5-8CCD-41A1-9ED4-525696DE33ED-1958-00000134717007E8.jpg

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
yeah, we were getting to talking about plinkers and stuff in GSMB, so when i saw your link i had to join. lol

10 days in CA. and big 5 makes you wait till the 11th. lol...
so it was rifle,scope, cable lock,bore snake,cleaning kit and a case for a little under 300. its a good looking tool, im stoked? anyone know if those .22lr 1911 looking deals are any good?

1F9271D5-8CCD-41A1-9ED4-525696DE33ED-1958-00000134717007E8.jpg

Yeah, I think in Cali, they put a waiting period so long so that the person you want to shoot, actually dies of natural causes before they let you pick it up.

79k10

Yeah, I think in Cali, they put a waiting period so long so that the person you want to shoot, actually dies of natural causes before they let you pick it up.

yeah its a nerve rackin 10 days, waiting to see if the doj hates me . lol

oppo

Full Access Member
It is so nice to just pick what you want, pay for it, and walk out only a few minutes later. :D

...or buy it online and when it comes in a few day later, make the 5 minute drive to my local ffl, and pick it up then.

79k10

I think about leaving CA all the time. the rules here are so strict its ridiculous,no ammo sales in the city and ccw is almost impossible in sac county right now... how come "because I have a right to" isnt a good enough reason to carry? lol

i was on the web the other day and read that if you have a fishing license in CA you can ccw on the way to, during, and on the way back from a fishing trip,,, anyone else heard of that or was that info outdated?

ViperJeff

Administrator
The laws in California are written so that the Rights of the Criminal are not violated before, during or after a crime. It's what the ACLU calls.. "Equal Protection"

79k10

ok looks like CPC 12027 says you can ccw as long as your fishing in the middle of nowhere, no roads, school, or towns near by. i dont want to get arrested so i may just call the ranger next time im heading out. anyone know for sure? im guessing it has to be unloaded unless you have a fishing pole in your hand?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts