Military M-16 and you

Arckadian

The only rifle I have used a lot was the M-16 in the military. I have used others, but only during basic training. I am most familiar with this rifle. I have found that if used properly the M-16 can be a most effective weapon at either short range or long range. However, I only achieved sharpshooter in the service with this weapon... I think my highest score was 34 out of 40, so was not good enough for Expert, unfortunalty. I would like to hear of other peoples experience with this weapon.

ViperJeff

Administrator
I shot expert, it's all in getting it sighted in. Most of the guys I know that fell short, compensated their shots instead of getting the sighting set up right

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Wasn't in the Military so never got the chance to use a M-16. That's .223 correct? I have shot a Ruger Mini 14 .223. Don't know if that's even a good comparison.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
I have shot several types of the colt variety ... The pic below is similar to one of them except for being a 9mm with a can (silencer) on it instead of the barrel protruding out the end.

The other was a pre-ban Colt AR-15 with a shift kit installed Making it full auto .223 cal.
They were both easy to shoot and very accurate when in semi auto ... Full auto the .223 was loud and somewhat wild ...... the 9mm was very manageable in full auto ... very good weapons without a doubt ..... I really need to find the pics I have ,, Damn where did I bury them...:mad:

Attachments

• 933m16e.jpg
    933m16e.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4

Arckadian

The M16 uses 5.56 mm rounds, but yes the civilian version of the rounds it .223. Since I left the service I have not fired a rifle, but I am REALLY looking at possibly getting an AR 15. They are fairly close to the M16, but as I understand it not the same. I have never fired one, but I have held one...... very drool worthy.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
The M16 uses 5.56 mm rounds, but yes the civilian version of the rounds it .223. Since I left the service I have not fired a rifle, but I am REALLY looking at possibly getting an AR 15. They are fairly close to the M16, but as I understand it not the same. I have never fired one, but I have held one...... very drool worthy.

Correct on the 556 mm and the 223 in the M16 ,, The M16 I used was modified to a 9mm and a class 3 (BTAF paper work required ) Weapon. The AR15 had a beefed up barrel and is capable of firing the heavy pressure 556 mm loads if I am not mistaken .

I went to my local Walmart (in Florida) a few weeks ago and they are selling an AR15 in the store ... You can find more info at Walmart online ... I think the price was around 500 ,, Not sure about the make but had good ratings and comments online ...

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
AR 15's being sold in Wally world huh? somehow I am not really that surprized.

Yes , I was very surprised ... I really could not believe what I was seeing.. So I went over to verify what my old eyes were seeing ... Yeap, AR15 .223...:eek:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The 5.56 and .223 are interchangeable in most weapons unless it says not to use the higher pressure 5.56. I think the Mini 14 is capable of using either round.

I was in WalMart the other day and saw a guy looking at an AR style weapon but it was .22 caliber. Not .223. May look at it myself if it's a full blown AR-15 variant.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

Yep,
2012-09-16_13-35-50_549.jpg

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Wally had 3 different versions in an ad I saw today at the store price range from the just under 500 to just under 1000 dollars ... This Walmart Did not carry any guns in store ... I will have to go to one of the other one's to check them out ,,,,

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Sorry, I'll spend 20 extra bucks and not go to walmart

But But Jeff it was a left handed AR15 :D

Bushmaster is not a bad make and is owned by the almighty Cerberus... You know the group that bought out 80% of Chrysler and screwed them up :mad: Man am I glad my stock was in the other 20%

NOT !!! but they may have one you can order :rolleyes:

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Figured I'd chime in on the 5.56/.223 issue. Almost all AR-15 are now made to withstand 5.56 loads. I've shot about 500 down my plain Jane AR and she did fine. The barrel must be marked for 5.56 though. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts