Moddin' out the Nagant!

MPac

Well tonight I offically started buying parts to modify my 1942 Mosin Nagant to more as to how I want it to be. Plans for the build goes as followed:

Mount scope
More ergonomical stock
looking for a russin sniper nagant bolt so I don't have to cut mine
Bi pod
Muzzle brake

This build may take some time for a couple of reasons everything I go to mod/change I research like crazy and spend lots of time choosing for my application. After studying up on diffent ways to mount scopes and dovetails I ended up getting the scope base that will place it in a position I want.

The base I got at gander moutain is for a 3/8's dovetail. I'm 99 percent sure that is the same size a .22 rifle (for someone considering this.) The base extends back far enough as possible without covering the bolt. The reason for this is because I want the option of being able to use my zipper clips for faster loading.

I won't be mounting the base until I get a scope as I will be shooting this rifle in the mean time. I'm new to setting up scopes and such but, I do know that I need a long eye relief scope for this position. How do I go about figuring how much eye relief the scope needs?

At the moment I'm looking at extremely long range scopes. With the distance and accuracy these rifles have why not use it? Also incase of a SHTF I'm good to go.

I'm trying to find a specific bi pod that my friend has for his AK-47. It's a style I'm having trouble finding. It's the one you squeeze it to clip it on the barrel. I'm going to start looking at the flee markets and ebay for one.

At the local gun shop there is a guy who makes muzzle brakes for Nagants. Deffinatly nice looking brakes and you can see attention to detail. Will be calling him soon for a price quote.

The stock I'm looking at is I believe 70 bucks. In the morning I will post a link. I'm trying to figure out how to get one in camo seems like I can only find it in black.

Hopefully an update soon! And Pictures!!!

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Guy here at the shop has one bone stock, He's looking for some mods so please post links as you get parts.

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
If you can't find a stock with the camo pattern you want, looking into buying a black one and having it hydrodipped. Lots of camo options available with hydrodipping.

Also, ATI makes a low profile bolt handle for the Mosin for around $25.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Dang you! You've planted a seed that's gonna cost me money. I never even considered modernizing my MN. Now I'm scouring the internet looking for stuff. That gun looks good with a new stock and some optics. Dang you!

Just dragged it out. It's a 1930 Finnish M27 Dragoon. According to some online info, there were only 1500 made in 1930.

After some more research I've confirmed through another source that there were only 1500 1930 M27's built. One author surmises that maybe less than half survive a complete guns. So I won't be modernizing this gun. It's gonna stay as it is. I bought this gun at a Roses store many years ago for about $50 bucks. It's worth a whole lot more than that now.

Last edited:

MPac

Well no problem infecting the bug lol! I'm mounting my scope scout scope still so it will sit in front of my reciever. I don't want to get the bolt kit that requires the drilling and tapping so I'm looking for a original bent style.

SRT that's an awesome rifle you have there! Deffinatly leave that one alone. I would just go buy the 91/30 somewhere for 100 bucks. This is the stock I'm ordering. I can't decide if I should go black or brown.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/181-mosin-nagant-monte-carlo-stock.html

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well no problem infecting the bug lol! I'm mounting my scope scout scope still so it will sit in front of my reciever. I don't want to get the bolt kit that requires the drilling and tapping so I'm looking for a original bent style.

SRT that's an awesome rifle you have there! Deffinatly leave that one alone. I would just go buy the 91/30 somewhere for 100 bucks. This is the stock I'm ordering. I can't decide if I should go black or brown.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/181-mosin-nagant-monte-carlo-stock.html

The Monte Carlo Stock looks good. My personal preference would be black. Yeah, my gun went back in the safe. How the heck I ended up with that one, I'll never know. It was just something cheap that I picked up at a local department store.

Members online

No members online now.