Mossberg 500 Specs

Arckadian

Weight = 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg) to 7.5 (3.4 kg) empty

Length = varies with model

Barrel length = 14 to 30 inches (350 to 762 mm)

Caliber = 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410 bore

Action = pump-action

Muzzle velocity = 403 m/s (1,325 ft/s) for 12-gauge, 2¾", 00 buckshot load; 475 m/s (1,560 ft/s) for 12-gauge 437-grain rifled slug

Effective range = 40 m

Maximum range = 50m for shot, 300m for slugs

Feed system = 5 to 8 rounds; internal tube magazine

Sights = bead sights

BOJANGLES

Full Access Member
How do you guys feel about Mossbergs?

I know its a good gun for the money, but I'm not really a fan... it's all personal preference, but for me they always feel a bit loose and rattle more than other scatterguns I prefer.

Arckadian

I have handled one before (never fired it) and from what I can tell it seems like a fairly solid weapon. I am looking forward to compairing it in person though with other types of shotguns, but as I understand it, the shot you use also changes how the weapon feels as you fire it. Is that true?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Mossberg 500 is a stout little shotgun. Yeah it rattles a little bit (part of it's character) but when you rack it the sound is unmistakable. That's one reason a lot of folks like a pump shotgun. When the bad guy hears the racking of a round it's pretty intimidating. It's gotta be quite the "Oh Shit Moment".

TacticalAdvantage

Full Access Member
I have a Mossberg 500A Self Defense Shotgun, which is a well built, solid shotgun.
When compared to, say, a Remington 870, the Mossberg 500 field 12 guage feels a little shaky, not as solid. But Mossberg has a good, long solid reputation, and is certainly a good value.

Full Access Member
I have a Winchester Defender 12 ga. With a 18 1/4" barrel with a pistol grip,Holds 8 rounds.Nice home defense.:D

Arckadian

I got to shoot a Mossberg 500A shotgun today.... SWEET. I sooooo enjoyed it :D. My shoulder is a little sore, but its a good sore :)

JTKustoms

I've had my 500 since june and absolutely love it. Always get looks and comments at the range when people hear it go off, its a terrifying combination to hear it rack then blow a huge flame out the front with a boom that shakes the whole room

cce1302

Full Access Member
I think Mossberg makes great guns. I haven't shot a 500 much, but I have an 835 that I've owned since '96 or so. I have a scoped rifled slug barrel and the 24" everything else barrel. I've shot the heck out of both barrels and the gun has never let me down.

I have a Rem 870 also, but it gets left in the closet a lot more than the mossberg does.

Big Chris

I have 2 5000s. One has a pistol grip and 14" barrel the other is my deer slayer w cantilever barrel and scope w camo flat spray paint. Love shootin both of em. Gonna change the furniture on the home defense one to some a bit more tactical lookin. Ive never had a problem w either one of em.

SWSS

Full Access Member
I have had a moss since 96. I has a pistol grip, nice for home defense. Was shit hard when I was on night quals for my SLED Level III Instructor Cert. All fine and dandy until the shotgun runs...slick end and no stock that is now a little slick...The lead instructor said he had never seen somebody run the course that quick with someone shooting fire-breathing f-kstick! that was not fun...
gonna get an adjustable stock...but I love the gun.

Last edited:

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I bought one at Big 5 few years back..on sale for under $250 which was a great deal. It's strickly for home defense and with that 8-shot load should be enough to stop any threat. Thinking of doing some mods on it but for now it sits next to the dresser.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I've got a Moss 500, 500C and 835. Never had a problem with any of them. The 835 doesn't get shot much. It's got a threaded barrel with a Turkey Choke in it and a 24in barrel, so the 18.5 barrel 500 and 500C get shot the most. Used to not shoot them much but now that ammo is so expensive, shooting some shotgun shells uses of some of the time and helps the brass ammo guns fun last a bit longer by shooting the shotguns in between. :waytogo:

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I really like the tactical 12 gauge. I have a pistol grip 410 with optional stock but I need a big boy. I am gonna get another glock 1st then a 12gauge mossberg...Good stuff, Concealed 27

otasan

Full Access Member
My only shotgun is my beloved M500 which I won at the big 1991 Second Chance bowling pin shooting match. It is my primary home defense gun here in central VT.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts