Mountain Man Rendezvous

Arckadian

That is the only place I have seen black powder weapons used, but they do sell a lot of black powder weapons and have a range you can go firing at. I am looking at getting one, but the biggest deterant I am having right now is the fact that I just dont know how to properly load one and such. Before I do get one (aside from pricing), I would like to know exactly how to load it and do so safely.

I am curious though.... have any of you guys had any experience with BP (black powder) weapons? I would like to hear what other peoples experiences have been.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
Never took the opportunity to shoot one , But do know a couple of Civil War reenactors that shoot them regularly ...

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've never shot one but it's all just a matter of measuring the black powder that goes into it then pack your wadding and ball down the barrel.

I was afraid to open this thread. By your title I thought it might be some Brokeback Mountain kind of thing.

Arckadian

hehe well over here in the Rockies we know of such likes like mountain men :D and the wife makes me go every year.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
hehe well over here in the Rockies we know of such likes like mountain men :D and the wife makes me go every year.

Those mountain men are much tougher than those damn Yankees .... When it comes to those Rebels there is no comparison Y'all hahaha:D

Arckadian

Those damn mountain men are a bunch of drunks with rifles..... and it is really funny to watch them drink starting a day break until well into the night and bounce of a few tents.

Arckadian

ahhh but in most places having a beer out in the open is not exactly legal..... at Bridger as long as it is in a cup no one cares and it dont matter what you drink. I was drinking a nice brew in fron of the sheriff there... it was good times

makes it more fun :)

PeebsZ71

I started black powder hunting a few years ago and I really enjoy it. It has for sure made me much more accurate with a rifle when only you only get one shot. They are super easy to load the new modern day ones only consist of powder which you can either buy in 50 grain pellets or measure it out and then a bullet and sabot. Modern day black powder guns are usually .45 or .50 cal from what I have seen. There really isn't as much to it as you think and if you're a really big hunter it's a good way to get out there early in the season before rifle and shotgun.

Also you can pick up a pretty decent muzzle loader for like 300 bucks these days. They sure have come a long way even in my short time.

TnRebel

nuff said

s4ujaf.jpg

Big Chris

Ive got a couple black powder rifles and a .44 revolver. They are fun to shoot the revolver and older rifle took alot of playin around w differant amounts of powder to get best results. But like previously said the new ones take the prre measured pellets and sabots and are amasingly accurate.

spoonplugger1

Depends on what you mean by black powder. There are the old schoolers like me, who use original style weapons, and than the new kids on the block.
Been hunting old school for 40 years, you start on my .54 cal mountain rifle by adding 80 to 110 gr of ffg powder, or Pyrodex powder. Lube the patch ( I use pillow ticking) and putting a 25 balls per lb ball in the center of the patch at the muzzle. You take out your ball starter and push the ball in about 1/2 in or so with the nub on the starter, that you turn the starter 90 degrees and drive the ball down about 4 inches with the starter. Put the starter back in your possibles bag and remove your ramrod and drive the ball down tight to the powder. Pull back the hammer and place a primer cap in the nipple, hold the hammer with your thumb and release it with the trigger back down on the nipple.
Pyrodex pellets won't ingnite on my style weapon as the primers don't have enough spark to start a hard pellet.
If you want to go flintlock, than your prime the pan with ffg or fffg powder and bring the hammer back down on the pan to travel. Either way it takes 20 seconds or less to load with just a bit of practice.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
I've never fired a Flintlock or Percussion cap BP rifle,but I have shot a few of the newer 209 primed versions.The newer ones are really accurate.
I've watched a guy shoot one at 1000 yards,and he hit metal 5 out of 6 shots.If I hadn't seen it,I would've never believed it.

oppo

Full Access Member
I have got inline, sidelock percussion, & cap & ball. They are plenty accurate and not difficult to load and shoot. The biggest question is are you shooting a muzzleloader to take advantage of an extended season or because you want to go old school. Inlines are the superior tool, no question but there is something romantic about shooting a patched round ball from a sidelock. However, sidelock do not limit you to round balls.

BigJ

Sign me up as another BP fan. I love shooting my replica Remington 1858 revolver, and I'm in the research phase of scratch or kit building my very own Northwest Trade Gun.

Like others have said, it's not that complicated to master, especially in the case of the revolver. Powder + wad + ball + cap = boom. Just don't be in a hurry, clean it a bit after every cylinder and enjoy the oos and ahs from the other guys at the range.

Which reminds me...last time I had the 1858 out I was ringing the 12" steel 3 out of 6 at 100 yards with it. Now that was fun!

Dixiejack

Been shooting BP for 50 years. I was really disappointed when the inline rifles came out. If you haven't shot a flinter or percussion front loader or even black powder cartridge rifle, you have missed out on the true meaning of marksmanship.

SWSS

Full Access Member
You just described half the country. Except around here they yell "Hey y'all....watch this." before they do something stupid.
It usually isn't thought of being stupid, we just don't realize that the outcome is still the same once we have consumed copious amounts of adult beverages...Just sayin'.
:badidea:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts