Nato Ammunition, can you actually buy it?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

I have to bother you with yet another (maybe stupid) question.

M16 or M4 carabine assault rifles are often chambered for 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition.
Is that ammunition on sale for civilians in the USA?

Over here in germany such rifles are forbidden to own, so I couldn't get the information from german forums.
And my contacts are mostly military or other professionals, so their knowledge isn't that helpful either.

That's why I am once more asking you.

Thanks for your answers and time,

Max

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Yes they are available to civilians, you can even get steel tip penetrater rounds in 556. No laws against civilian owning any rounds that I'm aware of....
Concealed 27

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I know that you can't carry hps in some states, new jersey is one I know of I have to look into NY forgot about that..... my buddy found out the are way while driving thru jersey lol....
Concealed 27

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
We must be clear that NATO ammo is only a designation for a particular cartridge. It's not like NATO manufactures the ammo, or that NATO is selling, profiting, or involved in the sale in any way.

That being said, I know that it is common for many countries to ban the civilian ownership of firearms that chamber "military" cartridges.
The US allows citizens to obtain such firearms...for now.

However, maybe 15 years ago there was a bill introduced in congress to outlaw "military ammunition" which included "cartridges designed or used by military and/or cartridges based on such cartridges" This bill made no exception for cartridges adopted by military after being developed for civilian use.
Presumably such a bill would include many popular "sporting" cartridges.
I'll make a quick list off the top of my head of banned calibers
.223 Rem
.308 Win, = .243
30-40 Krag
7mm and 8mm Mauser
30-06, = .280, .270, .338
45-70 (yes that was included)
7.62x39mm
7.62x54mm
.303 Brit
45 ACP
9mm Para
..I could probably list dozens more if I had more time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts