New to the forum and looking for a .300 WSM

GreatWhiteHunter

Looking into buying a .300 WSM, not sure what make or model to get.

I know I don't really like the fact that the Savage only holds 2 rounds in the magazine. I am looking more for something that will holds 3 rounds, but I know that the need for more then the 2 rounds or .300 WSM isn't really necessary, but still all my other Savages hold 3 and some times 4 rounds in the mag.

I am also looking for a nice gun. Not a bare bones all you need to shoot kind of gun. I am looking a gettting a high end high powered rifle.

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
I was just wondering, is this going to be a hunting rifle. If so are you looking for a light mountain gun or don't you need to worry about weight?
I ask because I just came back from my first elk hunting trip and gun weight was a factor.

tacticold

Full Access Member
Check out Tikka's. They are Beretta's rifles, basically. Very nice. I'm probably also getting a .300 WSM, a Tikka T3 Lite SS in left-handed bolt. I live in Alaska, and have heard nothing but good about them, so they can take a beating and bad weather.

GreatWhiteHunter

I was just wondering, is this going to be a hunting rifle. If so are you looking for a light mountain gun or don't you need to worry about weight?
I ask because I just came back from my first elk hunting trip and gun weight was a factor.

Yes it is going to be a hunting rifle, it will see some mountain duty at least once in it's life (ELk and Big horn). I am looking for something light and powerful at long range and seems the .300wsm is the gun as it has the same ballistics as the .300 win mag., but lighter.

I have looked at the Tikka lite. Really nice gun, one of my options currently.

I haven't looked at Christensen Arms yet, my price range is pretty open. I am looking at buying a high quality rifle that is going to get used a lot. I hunt everything from moose to black bear, and I plan to use this rifle as my replacement for my current .30-06 set up as it doesn't have the knock down power at long range. Don't get me wrong the .30-06 is a nice gun and I will probably continue to use it a far amount because it is a nice light gun, just looking for a little more power.

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Im kinda strange but have you ever heard of a .375 winchester, its the bad boy that nobody wants to play with. very nice round...

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Definitely consider Christensen. There might be some videos on YouTube. I have shot his and it is hands down the nicest weapon I have used or even seen in person. Also what optics are you planning on using?

GreatWhiteHunter

Not really sure on what optics to run....judging by the price of the christensen arms at $2700 I would have to run some pretty intense optics. I have heard good things about Zesis, something fairly powerfull out of there line up like the conquest 3-9x50mm might be about what I would want. Again still not sure on that part.

.375 win would be to close to the .375 H&H, my step father has the H&H and it is heavy a nice gun tho.

Last edited:

tacticold

Full Access Member
I would personally never pay a Christenson price for a hunting rifle, but if you have the money they are very nice. I already have a hard time buying a decent scope, which are usually more than the rifle these days. I'm probably just as happy with my $300 Nikon Buckmaster scope as I would be with a $1000 Leupold.

I just can't see paying that much for a rifle that's going to rattle around on an ATV, get thrown in the back of a bush plane, and just generally get scraped up.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Not really sure on what optics to run....judging by the price of the christensen arms at $2700 I would have to run some pretty intense optics. I have heard good things about Zesis, something fairly powerfull out of there line up like the conquest 3-9x50mm might be about what I would want. Again still not sure on that part.

.375 win would be to close to the .375 H&H, my step father has the H&H and it is heavy a nice gun tho.

Heard good things about Zeiss, but i don't have any experience with them. I have Swarovski Binoculars and so does my father. He also has a Swarovski scope on his Christensen. It is a very nice scope. You might consider looking at them as well.

GreatWhiteHunter

Thanks again Maxx2893. I will have a look at Swarovski, I think in the one youtube video of the Christensen Arms .300WSM they are running Swarovski optics on it.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
I already have a hard time buying a decent scope, which are usually more than the rifle these days. I'm probably just as happy with my $300 Nikon Buckmaster scope as I would be with a $1000 Leupold.

If you every use higher end optics,you'll never buy another cheaper scope,and IMO,Leupold charges twice as much for a scope that is just so-so compared to other scopes in the same price range.
For general hunting,most lower priced scopes work fine.But the real difference come when hunting dawn/dusk or shooting long range.The higher quality scopes will really show why they cost more in these conditions.

tacticold

Full Access Member
If you every use higher end optics,you'll never buy another cheaper scope,and IMO,Leupold charges twice as much for a scope that is just so-so compared to other scopes in the same price range.
For general hunting,most lower priced scopes work fine.But the real difference come when hunting dawn/dusk or shooting long range.The higher quality scopes will really show why they cost more in these conditions.

Fair enough. I don't have the dough to be throwing down on a $1000 or more scope, so it's really not even an option for me. That said, I recently checked out a Trijicon Accupoint scope, and it's probably the nicest American-made glass I've seen. Still close to $1000, though.

Swarovski's are awesome but top-end over $4000, which is insane to me. I'm not a prolific hunter, I go once a year on a combo trip for moose and caribou, and it's to supplement our food so we don't have to spend as much during the winter. That whole equation of economy would be shot to hell if I spent that kind of money on a scope....lol.

Once again, if you have the money, get the best, but it's not necessary to be successful on a hunt. Hell, we used to do it with no scope at all....

This is my wife's new setup/Christmas present: Remington 700 SPS in .300 WinMag. Nikon 4-14x40 Buckmaster scope. Both purchased off of bidgunner.com for a total cost to me, including used bids, shipping, and FFL transfer fees, of about $200. Can't beat that.

20121102_004429_zps20bc76a1.jpg

Jackemuphigh21

http://www.sandsprecisionrifles.comThese guys will build you a custom gun according to your preferences and when it's done will be a tack driving son of a bitch. I actually have one of their .300 WSM and at 125 yard (which I know isn't all that far but it's where i sight it in at) i can put 3 shots in the same hole, not ragged hole but same hole. Call it bs if you wish but its no lie.

Members online

No members online now.