Really Dad? 2400+ rounds of .22LR

Jamal

My dad passed away in April and my mom wanted his guns gone. I took an old single shot 12 guage an a .22 lever action.
I also took all his ammunition...he had over 2400 rounds of .22.
I bet he hadn't shot a gun in 12-15 years, with the exception of a pellet gun. Some of the tags are from stores that aren't even around anymore...
3A305F49-795A-42EB-8881-E20F4629A2DB-2613-000004A58265AB13.jpg

puckhead

Thats really not that much ammo. Couple dozen small boxes or 5 large boxes. I have that in the garage!

Jamal

I'd agree - but like I said, he hasn't shot a gun outside of a pellet gun in at least 10 years. Seems like a lot to me when you never use it.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Head shots is all you need to do. That would take care of at least 2400 of them. Jamal, did you take all the guns then?

Jamal

just a single shot 12 guage and an Agawam lever action single shot .22.
I have a .22 revolver (cowboy gun) and a .22 derringer already. That is the extent of my armory for now. I want a 12 guage pump or maybe a semi-auto. Haven't decided yet. I also just shot my friends 9mm Glock - I like it a lot, so maybe...

My brother took another pistol - .32 I think.
I left a broken 16 guage and a 20 guage single shot which my uncle bought.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Sorry don't mean to thread jack but your story reminded me of a story about my gf. She got a gun her grandpa gave to here (still alive) that he received as a gift in the 60's. He never shot the gun as he didn't have any interest in firearms but didn't wanna just resell it so he gave it to a grandchild. He also gave her a box of shells that were given to him when they gave him the gun. Still had price tag on it. Full box of .270 that was bought at Sears for like $3 or 5$

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
If it has been 10-15 years since he has shot them, please take them to a smithy or armorer and have them safety checked before you shoot them!

Sorry for your loss by the way.

infidel

In the event of a world calamity the 22lr will be the one round that will feed you, clothe you and protect you. Stock it in mass quantities. Use it as currency, use it for protection, just use it.

It won't save you in a firefight but if you're looking for that you won't live long anyway. Just my .02

Last edited:

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Sorry for your loss, Jamal. Sounds like you came away with a pretty nice lot of stuff. 2400 rounds may sound like a lot, but I could burn through that in a weekend with a couple of friends. ;)

I agree that .22LR is probably one of the most underrated and potentially valuable calibers out there right now. Get it while it's still relatively cheap...it's creeping up in price just like the rest.

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
I have .22 rounds that are that old. As long as they were not stored in some place like a garage that gets really hot and really cold year after year they should be fine to shoot. Maybe Jamal you could shoot some now an then whenever you get to thinking about your dad.
Sorry for your loss.
Steve

cce1302

Full Access Member
Seems reasonable to me.

Liberal media would call that an "arsenal" or a "stockpile."

I'd call it "a relaxing afternoon."

sprsnk

Seems reasonable to me.

Liberal media would call that an "arsenal" or a "stockpile."

I'd call it "a relaxing afternoon."

Ditto. I do not have less than 5k rounds of any caliber. I also am one of those guys who doesn't go to the range without at least 500 rounds for each gun. So yea...I am "that guy" the neighbors see and start thinking WTF?

Members online

No members online now.