Red-Dot on scope=Hollywood-Fantasy?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

In the Movie "Lone Survivor" I saw some soldiers mounting small red-dot sights on top of their long-range scopes, so they could still engage targets at close range.
Is that actually done in real life, or is it something the armourers made up and "patched together" for the movie?

Thanks in advance,

Max

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
It can be actually done. I have a couple guns where the scope is mounted on rings that stand above the iron sights. So I can use the scope if I want to but switch back to the iron sights for closer objects. A Red Dot could also be used if desired.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
Yes it is commonly done, although the current trend is a 45 degree offset mount for the reflex sight as opposed to mounting it on top.

Last edited:

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Good to see ya Rusty.......been building that underground shelter for you and Nancy? Op yes I have a red dot on my AR .
Concealed 27

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
She's always at her healing sessions with John Redcorn so I've mostly been working on my racing turtles.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
It's not a perfect solution but it is done in real life, if you enter a area configured for one engagement distance sometimes you may have to change your set-up

kwo51

Full Access Member
That is what the US found in the sand box. The hodgie found the enfield 303 allowed contact out of ar's range. M14 got the point back.

Max

Full Access Member
Well, in my novel one character (member of a guerillia-kind of group) has an Mk12 with a scope to provide overwatch, and I thought he may put a small red-dot on top of the scope so he can use the rifle on the way back, in hallways and rooms, where a scope is not practical.

So I guess it's not too far off from reality.

Max

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
Yes it is commonly done, although the current trend is a 45 degree offset mount for the reflex site as opposed to mounting it on top.

This. It's how I set up my "urban forward observation" rifle. :cool:

100_9358_zpsldsurvfm.jpg

100_9357_zpsvj3sisdz.jpg

Bluez

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

In the Movie "Lone Survivor" I saw some soldiers mounting small red-dot sights on top of their long-range scopes, so they could still engage targets at close range.
Is that actually done in real life, or is it something the armourers made up and "patched together" for the movie?
Thanks in advance,
Max

Its a real method, done in real life by real folks for their specific applications.
Most one where long rnage shooting is a priority but short range engagements can also flare up.

Another approach to this same problem is mounting a holographic sight such as an EOtech and then a Magnifier in front of it closer to the eye.... , such as a G33, that can be flipped down when using the weapon short range.

Another compromise is the use of an ACOG which is a fixed magnification scope.
but the magnification is small enough (3x and 4x) the eyes can be trained to do 2 eye short range shooting with it.
The nice Chevron style reticle also helps with this in the ACOG.

Kakadu

In the IDF - Israel Defense Forces I used a red dot scope by Trijicon ASOG.
There's the red dot model and without. It's not for the long range though, but could be effective above half a KM.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Well, in my novel one character (member of a guerillia-kind of group) has an Mk12 with a scope to provide overwatch, and I thought he may put a small red-dot on top of the scope so he can use the rifle on the way back, in hallways and rooms, where a scope is not practical.

So I guess it's not too far off from reality.

Max

You can buy ACOGS ( 4x magnification) with a red dot already mounted on top from the factory.

For professionals who can afford expensive set-ups it is not unusual.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts