Remington 870 issues...

USMC1188

I have a Remington 870 that is about 3 years old. It is not the Express model. I love this shotgun, but it has one issue that I cannot figure out.

After it has been used for a while (40-50 shells), when pulling back to release the spent shell it likes to get caught after only pulling back about a 1/2" or so. It literally gets hung, and I cannot find anything for it to get stuck on. I can really slam back on it and usually can release it to keep shooting, but it is really annoying. It does not do it everytime either, its on its OFP and drives me nuts! I can clean it, lube it up, etc etc and it has no effect on it, it still sticks. Any ideas?

I know I did not give ya'll much to go on, but it is sorta hard to explain. If anyone else has had this issue or any ideas where to look please chime in. Thanks

USMC1188

I had thought of that too... I generally use Winchester Target/Clay rounds but have tried a few others as well with no real change.
I may go and get some real good ammo and give it a shot and see if there is any change. What would you recommend?

USMC1188

So that the general consensus? Different ammo? If that's all it is, ima feel really dumb lol. I will definitely give it a try

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Seems that this is a common problem with that gun/ammo combo. The Winchester "Low Brass" loads give issues frequently.

How many rounds have you shot through the gun? Could be a break-in issue.

I have also read that the chamber may need polishing/honing to fix the issue.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zPBS6MoVbc&feature=related[/ame]

USMC1188

I have probably put 1000s of rounds through it, it has been worked hard, lol.

That is not quite what it is doing. The bolt won't even come back that much, it only lets me rack the slide back maybe 1/2" after being fired. I can't even get to the point where it would start to double feed. If I would compare it to that, it would be as if the metal of the spent shell is getting caught against the front of the new shell coming up in a sense, but idk if that is actually what is happening or not, just a way to explain how little it comes back after being fired.

I will definitely try some different/better ammo and see if that helps solve the issue at all though. What would you guys recommend trying?

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Actually, I was wrong...

The Federal Low Brass is supposed to be better loads for that gun.

achirdo

Out of curiosity have you completely taken it apart? Taken the action completely apart and Dropped the trigger assembly out?

For the first 3 years I had mine I never knew I could take the pump action completely apart...(didn't read the owners manual:p)

And Winchester loads tend to stick more.

I've never had the issue with Remington shells

USMC1188

I have had it apart as much as my skills would allow. I took out the trigger assembly and cleaned it really well.

You can? Did not know that, lol. I will have to see if I can find my manual and figure it out

achirdo

I have had it apart as much as my skills would allow. I took out the trigger assembly and cleaned it really well.

You can? Did not know that, lol. I will have to see if I can find my manual and figure it out

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ORAzzeyz90[/ame]

Buddychrist

Full Access Member
Try taking off your barrel lug and pulling the spring out and stretching the spring out a few inches. It could be from the spring not putting enough pressure on the shells and it isn't picking up the ammo correctly causing a cycling problem. This is typically found when people remove the Plug to allow for more ammo for home defense, Sporting clays, Etc.

Edit: Just food for thought but you should never keep ammo in your shotgun long term because it compresses the spring and causes these problems and over loading your shotgun does the same thing. The last thing I would want in a home defense situation is to have a cycle problem when I really need it. This is one situation where trying to cut time prior can kill you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts