Rifle Suggestions?

doublestack

Hi Guys!
Told myself I would not buy any more toys till I bought a gun safe. Bought one from Costco last spring, so now I am thinking about a rifle to compliment my Ruger 10/22 carbine, Ithaca 18 ga pump and Browning light 12 ga.
This rifle will be for target shooting, possibly varmint shooting and the always possible Zombie apocolypse. No big game.....moose, elk, big bear, etc.
Have thought about the following semi-auto rifles:
Ruger Mini 14 5.56/.223
Ruger Mini 30 7.62 X 39
Springfield M1A .308 $$$
BTW....not into the assault style weapons
Would like to keep it under$1,500 to $2K max for rifle, scope and any acces.
Scope suggestions also, nothing too expensive.
TIA!
Bryce

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Either the Mini 14 or 30 would be fine weapons. The 14 being .223/5.56 or the 30 being 7.62x39. The Mini 30 will be the stronger of the two rounds but still fairly cheap to shoot. You can get almost 1000 rounds for a little over $200. I know you said you don't care for "Assault" type weapons but a SKS in 7.62x39 is also a nice gun and you can put different furniture on it to make it look more conventional.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5euXm5msz1Y[/ame]

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
The minis will be cheaper but I would rather have the M1. I would also expect it to be more accurate but I have zero personal experience with either one. I do have an SKS and it is decently aaccurate but the trigger sucks.

Mr.Downtown

Full Access Member
The only problem with the Mini's is, IMO they are not as accurate as I would like them to be. The triggers on all that you listed will need to be worked on.

Last edited:

doublestack

Welll......been doing a lot of research. Think if it comes down to a mini 14, it will be the "target" model w/ thicker barrel & laminated stock and a decent scope.
However, the M1A seems to be drawing me to the dark($$$$) side.
Accuracy from the minis is good enough for my needs, plinking, target and the rare varmint hunt. Don't ever expect to have to make a 200 yd med or lg game kill shot or I would be looking at a longer barrel bolt action rifle.
Thanks to all for the advice given so far....keep it comin'!

doublestack

I just shot a mini 14 for the first time last week, ill pass

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Boot, what did you not like about it? Leaning towards the mini 30 in 7.62 and with the money i save from buying the M1A will buy a butt-load of ammo and a scope.

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I like the Mini, generally they are very reliable if using Ruger mags. And the current production guns are much improved in the accuracy department.

If you don't want an EBR, they are a good choice....

I would probably get a ranch rifle in 5.56 if I were in the market for one.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member
Although the Mini 14/30 rifles are great choices,the accuracy of them really falls off after a couple shots.It's just the way they are designed/made. IMO,they aren't worth the price tag they come with.

The SKS is cheap,reliable,accurate,and has a good selection of aftermarket accessories. The only bad thing is the lack of decent factory hunting ammo in 7.62x39

Saiga's are another choice,and they are more accurate than the Mini's,and you can get them in several American/Metric calibers. They also have a good aftermarket for them.

The Keltec SU-16 rifles are pretty accurate,but feel pretty cheap. I have the pistol version of them-PLR-16,and it has always been reliable.

If you want something in 308 the Springfield M1A is the top gun.
Another to consider would be the FN FNAR,its pretty much an upgraded tactical version of the Browning BAR with a heavy barrel and 20rd detachable magazine.

I know you said that you didn't want an AR style rifle,but they are very accurate rifles,and I wouldn't count them out.

Bstoner59

I have both a Mini 14 and a Springfield M1A. If you are just going to using it at the range and an occasional varmint you can't beat the Mini. Cheaper cost upfront, ammo is less expensive. The M1A is an amazing rifle but I can't shoot as many rounds out of it as I can my Mini 14. No matter how you cut it the .308 is more to handle than a .223. I say get both and call it a day!!!

JuggNuttz

i too love my SKS, cheap enough to not break you too much, and ammo isnt horrible. accurate too, and i really prefer the old mil type wood stock n grips. the black poly's just dont really do it for me..... IMO ofcourse.

ar556

i owned a newer stainless, green laminate stock mini 14 for a few years and really enjoyed it(not target model). it was accurate enough for small critters and reliable. limited to ruger rings, but they are really nice. dont know about the M1A, not really the same level rifle-apples/oranges($600/$1600). i prefer a ar15 and thats why i dont have my mini anymore.
i have always had good luck with leupold. currently using the mark 4 scopes, a little pricey but clear. the higher end bushnell or nikon scopes are also good if you only want to spend around 500. nightforce or vortex are probably 2 much but they are nice. i had a bushnell 4200 3-9x40 on my mini and it held zero nicely for only $220 new. those are the brands im familiar with

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts