Shipping a Hand Gun???

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I figured this is the best category to ask being that someone who is a gunsmith and possible receives and ships handguns for repair might know.

I've sold a handgun and now need to ship it. I figured I'd be shipping it USPS. USPS does not allow handgun shipping according to their website. UPS only seems to do Next Day Air shipping which would cost me over $80 where it needs to go.

Anyone know of any handgun shipping options that are reasonable? Am I wrong about the USPS and UPS rules hopefully?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I thought of that. According to UPS even if you ship just a frame or receiver it has to be treated as a firearm and shipped next day air.

Arckadian

Look around and see who is the closest FFL dealer to you and ask them. If anyone would know how to ship a hand gun they would.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Shipping a handgun is going to be expensive because it MUST go overnight... according to federal law. Breaking it down would be even more expensive. You'd still have to ship the firearm(frame) overnight, and then ship the rest separately.

You're correct, you cannot ship a handgun through the USPS. We use UPS, but $80 seems pretty steep.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

That being said it needs to go to an FFL then you then the buyer fill out form and its processed like you bought the gun from him.....Its a transfer fee that the FFL will charge you..If you can find a good pawn shop most will doe it for $25.00 but others may try to get alot of money from you due to the current situation, I am not a Lawyer just what I know of the laws, buyer responsable for transfer fee... as a seller you should have let the buyer know he /she is responasble for shipping & transfer cost......Concealed 27

Last edited:

Pony Hauler

Have you checked with FedEx? I drive for Ground and I know I have delivered weapons and ammo. You can ship FedEx Ground through Kinkos.

Members online

No members online now.