Shtf

kwo51

Full Access Member
What weapon system would you want for SHTF AK or AR ? If I had to make a choice it would be the AR. The type of ammo most prevalent would be next. Came up in another forum.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
To answer your question I'd have to go with AR. I just think parts and ammo would be more readily available for that platform. Now if I could select something other than your choices then I'd possibly go for something like this. I like a high capacity shotgun.

414-355-KSG3.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
Lots of after market parts for ar and repair parts. Not much for ak ,is that because they don't break?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Lots of after market parts for ar and repair parts. Not much for ak ,is that because they don't break?

AK's have survived the test of time. They aren't a favorite weapon of war for no reason. But for here in the US I still think you'd find more AR's and .223/5.56 available than AK's and 7.62. I could be wrong.

961296c4e98ca4b91df1da402988b77c.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
Definitely the AR15. I can build AR's exactly the way I want them, easily mount any optic or sights that I want, install high end triggers, use high end barrels, easily mount any accessories I want, and I can buy it a part at a time. I can also easily and cheaply load lots of high quality ammo with whatever components I choose. I can also build them in a great variety of calibers well suited to different tasks, some of which would easily convert to 5.56 for under $100 if I felt the need. Others would only be slightly more.

Why would I want a clunky AK? ...and that trigger... (cringe)

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Definitely the AR15. I can build AR's exactly the way I want them, easily mount any optic or sights that I want, install high end triggers, use high end barrels, easily mount any accessories I want, and I can buy it a part at a time. I can also easily and cheaply load lots of high quality ammo with whatever components I choose. I can also build them in a great variety of calibers well suited to different tasks, some of which would easily convert to 5.56 for under $100 if I felt the need. Others would only be slightly more.

Why would I want a clunky AK? ...and that trigger... (cringe)

My train of thought went with his SHTF scenario. If all hell breaks loose and we have to scrounge for supplies I think with the popularity of the AR parts and ammo would easier to find. Everybody and his brother has one and ammo to go with it. I don't know if that can be said for the AK. I know they're out there. But just not in the numbers the AR's are.

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
While that is certainly an advantage, I think a bigger advantage would be the likelihood of interchangeability with allies, the ability to share mags and ammo or pick up or lend a firearm you or they are already very familiar with. I also think that if you have to scrounge, you are already in a world of trouble and should have prepared better because the only guns, ammo, and parts likely to be lying around for scrounging will be the ones carried by the person you were just forced to shoot. The time to prepare was yesterday.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Any quality AR15 with a Holographic Weapons sight , a VFG, a WML positioned so I can actuate via support hand thumb, fed by Lancer or Tangodown Mags using 62gr non penetrator HP ammo.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
What a co-incidence! I JUST posted a thread about my urban SPR build, then checked to see what's been updated, and this thread got bumped! :chewie:

kwo51

Full Access Member
I think oppo hit the nail on the head. We all have AR's but we are special ! The gangs on the street have AK's and a good many of third world nations that would love to invade the US on invitation from the UN. Funny how the AK 74 has come on the scene but is being held back by import laws. Thanks for your views ,I will have both.

priell3

Full Access Member
I have my pistol caliber carbine leaning against the wall for SHTF. Chambered in 9mm using Glock mags, both of which should be plentiful.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I think oppo hit the nail on the head. We all have AR's but we are special ! The gangs on the street have AK's and a good many of third world nations that would love to invade the US on invitation from the UN. Funny how the AK 74 has come on the scene but is being held back by import laws. Thanks for your views ,I will have both.

Funny you mention this. I've been toying with the idea of picking up an AK. My LGS has some nice ones at a pretty good price. And Oppo does make a good point. Invading forces may very well have AK's and lots and lots of 7.62 that surviving US forces may be able to get their hands on. But I really.....I mean REALLY hope we never have to find out.

priell3

Full Access Member
Funny you mention this. I've been toying with the idea of picking up an AK. My LGS has some nice ones at a pretty good price. And Oppo does make a good point. Invading forces may very well have AK's and lots and lots of 7.62 that surviving US forces may be able to get their hands on. But I really.....I mean REALLY hope we never have to find out.

My son wants an AK. I am trying to find something both affordable and reliable. I think Christmas demand is effecting inventories and prices. I told him to wait until it is all over.

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
I'm partial to my AR's, but for a solid truck gun, it's hard to beat a nice, compact, Yugo underfolder and a couple of drums, as your 'truck gun.'
icon6.gif

YUGO-UF_zpsq2eugktl.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
Mine is a Maudi . You have to shake the camels out before firing. Good hog gun with 5 round mag. Game warden don't like 30 round mags.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts