Surprisingly accurate

oppo

Full Access Member
Several years back, I bought a Marlin 1895G in 45-70. I didn't care for the stock irons so I slapped a 2-7 Nikon on it. I loaded up some cheap Remington bulk bullets with a middle of the road charge of H4198 and headed to the range. This wasn't a load developed from trial and error, just a reasonably economical load thrown together that would hopefully shoot decent. After getting the scope roughly adjusted at 25 yards, I moved to 100. The shot was close to zero. I thought, good, I won't have to adjust it much. I sent another shot downrange and it overlapped the first one. I sent another and had a cloverleaf. I was pleased but that was only one 3 shot group. I adjusted the scope and then preceded to send another 100+ rounds downrange. To this day, the only group that rifle has ever fired was the last one from that day when I jerked the shot and opened the group to about 1 1/8 inch. One of these days, I may experiment and see just what that rifle is really capable of but when a woods gun is shooting consistent 1/2 moa groups with cheap bullets, there is not a lot of need for improvement.

What rifle has pleasantly surprised you with it's accuracy?

ViperJeff

Administrator
The 30-30 I fired when I was a kid (open sights) was the most fun and accurate that I've shot. All the other rifles I shot had optics, my grouping may have been better, but not near as fun

mopower318

My old savage model 12 old enough to not have the acu trigger. 200 yds slight wind before I got her all dialed in.
2B686646-F48D-4016-80AA-C51C6A3295BF-20718-00001ED17AD146B8.jpg

oppo

Full Access Member
<<< big Savage fan

I also have a pre-accutrigger model 12 in 22-250 and it is ridiculously accurate. The only rifle I have ever had my hands on that could outshoot it is my pre-accutrigger 110 in 30-06.

GreatWhiteHunter

Savage M93 in .17HMR with Pineridge Tactical 3-9x Rimfire scope for .17 HMR.

After bore sighting it all I had to do was adjust the turrets back to Zero and 100 yards and I have never changed it since.

At 100 yards, 1/2 inch group everytime as long as I do my job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts