Top 5 Survival Guns

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Have them all except the Remington 870 and that's on my Christmas list, hopefully the little lady will get me one, she knows I want the every door key......
Concealed 27

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
decent list, endlessly debatable of course.

The Glock 19 could be replaced by just about any proven, reliable service caliber pistol.

The 10/22 is pretty hard to argue with.

The 870 could be swapped with a Mossberg 500, depending on your preference. The Mossy is a bit better for lefties because of the tang mounted safety. Both guns are hard to beat. And IMO, the scattergun should be the first gun you buy.

The AR15, like the Glock, cold be substituted by many different semi-autos of the type. Or even a battle rifle if you wish to fill the AR and M700 role with one gun.

My personal list would looks like this..
CZ75
Daewoo DR200
Rem 870
Ruger 10/22

shooter

I attended a survival class and we went through firearms at length. The best piece of advice is to carry what you can get parts/ammo for. Cops carry Glocks (unfortunatley) so that's a good choice. If your pistol gets damaged and you need a replacement widget, you'll be able to get parts off dead cops and military.

The AK is a great rifle, but there are way more AR's in America. You'll be able to find ammo/mags/parts off more dead than you would for the AK.

Same reason it makes sense to use a 9mm/45 for survival over a .38 Super.

You're all right though, this debate can go on forever. Just be smart when you choose and pray you'll never need them.

kwo51

Full Access Member
That would depend where and who you get stuff from.I think the blue hats have a good chance of carrying AK type as AR.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I attended a survival class and we went through firearms at length. The best piece of advice is to carry what you can get parts/ammo for. Cops carry Glocks (unfortunatley) so that's a good choice. If your pistol gets damaged and you need a replacement widget, you'll be able to get parts off dead cops and military.

The AK is a great rifle, but there are way more AR's in America. You'll be able to find ammo/mags/parts off more dead than you would for the AK.

Same reason it makes sense to use a 9mm/45 for survival over a .38 Super.

You're all right though, this debate can go on forever. Just be smart when you choose and pray you'll never need them.

generally sensible reaosning with the exception that no US military carries Glocks.
There are 2 current standard issue pistols the M9 ( aka Model 92 Beretta) and in smaller numbers the M11 ( aka Sig)

Some handgun basically will not need spare parts such as a Ruger GP100.
Basically for prepping i want to look at a gun that used ot be called a "trail gun" something with 100.00% reliability, unbreakable, caliber that can take down game and also be used for self defense.. like a GP100.

But basically this can be argued all over and no one answer is correct.

PS: Please change your avatar it makes me want to close the window on any thread you are in

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870
AR-15
Glock 22
Muzzleloader

I also have a super accurate "adult" air rifle that would be great for food collection. My bow would also be great for that job.

kwo51

Full Access Member
All good guns. Waiting for the smoke to clear,after firing my 50 cal black power was like being in a time warp.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870
AR-15
Glock 22
Muzzleloader

I also have a super accurate "adult" air rifle that would be great for food collection. My bow would also be great for that job.

I think it will be very important to be able to hunt silently if the SHTF. You don't want to be broadcasting your location and that you might have vittles about to be ready.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I read an article in Swat mag (I think) about hiding in plan sight. People when their kids are hungry will do anything to feed them.

shooter

I read an article in Swat mag (I think) about hiding in plan sight. People when their kids are hungry will do anything to feed them.

That's what I always said, hide in plain sight. Don't board your windows up. Don't run a generator for a week or two after everyone else has run out of gas. Don't put a fire out with water.

There was a period of time this was ALL I could think about. I lost many a night's sleep as my mind ran through all these scenarios.

For me, I want a bow. I want 2 or 3, all the same make and model, with lots of extra parts. They are silent with reusable ammo (if you're lucky). I'm not going to be making any half mile head shots 'cause frankly I don't want to give away my position. A firearm would only be for last resort defense or storming a position 'cause I need something they got, and I need it bad enough to risk my life.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
And if your not too sure about a bow. Get a crossbow. Works just about like a rifle. Some are strong enough to take a moose. I've read articles that you are better off with a recurve than a compound. A recurve is much simpler to work on than a compound. Excalibur, the maker of some rather expensive Xbows do recurve exclusively. Most compounds need a bow press to redo the string(s) and there is timing involved in the pulleys that you don't have to worry about with a recurve.

That being said, my standard bow is a compound but the xbow is a recurve. I'm currently looking for a recurve bow for redundancy in my bow department.

Members online

No members online now.