What caliber SBR?

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the ridiculous prices for 300 blackout and it's keeping me from enjoying my rifle. When I started ordering parts for the build I could find ammo for $.65 per round. Now it's still almost double that and holding

So give me some options without having to make a lot of changes. I don't really want poor performance either. 5.56/.223 isn't a good option is it? I'd like to have decent grouping out to the 200-300 yard range. Any suggestions?

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Wish i had something other than switching it to 556, I don't think that there are many things u can do except try and find bulk, next time I go to range I will see what they have for ammo. They don't rip off people with prices and maybe able to get some for less than what your getting for.... how much are u paying for a box of 20 fmj so I can see what my guy is selling them for...I'm always looking for ammo so i will keep an eye open for ya.. later ranger danger,
Concealed 27

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
LGS wanted $25 for a box of 115 grain remington umc. Crap was $11-13 a box before all this crap. I kindly told them to pack sand

Bluez

Full Access Member
I don't really want poor performance either. 5.56/.223 isn't a good option is it? I'd like to have decent grouping out to the 200-300 yard range. Any suggestions?

Yo can get that w/ 69 -77 grain match ammo.
the PPU Match ammo 69 gr Ammo is only 25% more than normal 5.56 mm...
So a lot cheaper than 6.8 SPC or 300 Bo

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Yo can get that w/ 69 -77 grain match ammo.
the PPU Match ammo 69 gr Ammo is only 25% more than normal 5.56 mm...
So a lot cheaper than 6.8 SPC or 300 Bo

How will that perform in a 10.5" barrel? I wouldn't mind going up to a 12" barrel if I had too but it can't be shorter than 10.5"

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Given any thoughts to reloading? I am getting very close to taking the plunge. Currently in just 9mm my wife and I are shooting about 1k rounds a week. Paying the $.26-$.30/ea is brutal. I estimated for a Dillon 650 complete setup the investment to be right at $2k. Even at today's component prices I can save $.10-.$12/round. Won't take long to pay for it's self. Add in the .45 & 10mm and the payback is even faster. For lower volume reloading you can get started much cheaper.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Wow!!! and I thought I was shooting a lot!:worship:

Practice and matches every weekend. Throw in dry fire practice 3-4 nights a week too. Trying to up our game for USPSA. It's kind of sad when I currently have 8600 rounds of 9mm and I am worried I am getting too low. lol

cce1302

Full Access Member
Pistol round will benefit from longer barrel.

So you're suggesting that because a 9mm or .45 will get more velocity with a 10 inch barrel than it will with a 5" barrel, the OP should use that instead of a .223 or 6.8 which will lose velocity when comparing a 16" to a 10" barrel?

Come on, man.

:snoopfacepalm:

A pistol round isn't going to outperform a rifle round at the muzzle, and is sure isn't going to do better at 300 yards like he's asking. You might get 1200-1300 fps at the muzzle with a 9mm. You'll get over 2600 fps out of a .223.

kwo51

Full Access Member
No he asked,and I like the 308 more than the 556. If your going to a 22 you might go to a5.7 or 40 S&w . MHO.

Members online

No members online now.