Women's Shotgun

puckhead

Need to find a good shotgun for the lady. She is smaller so I am thinking of a youth model. Most likely going to be semi-auto to help with the recoil.

I don't really want to go down to a 20 gauge but we will see. Right now I shoot the Remington 870.

Hers would mainly be used for hunting. Probably be a good home defense gun too.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
You can get the "Low Recoil" shells but that may cause a problem in a semi auto. Read that they sometimes won't fully cycle the action. They work best in a pump. So you might try that combination. Try a box of Low Recoil shells in your 870 to see how they feel.

sjustice64

I bought my Mother a Remington 1100 20 gauge and she loves it! She is 5'1" and 100 pounds and shoots it like a champ. I gotta admit too it is a sweet shooting gun.

puckhead

Thanks guys! I wll try the low recoil first and then take a look at the 1100. She is about 115 pounds and 5'6'' or so.

TheOl55

Full Access Member
The wife uses a Remington 870 16 gauge pump. She has two barrels for it, one for skeet and an 18" for home defense. My 12 was just too hard for her and the kids 20 was to light.

puckhead

An 1100 would work out fine, they take out a lot of recoil, look at some of the Blackhock recoil reducing stocks also
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CompStock-Shotgun-Stock,1155,165.htm

Thanks bud! I will check it out!

The wife uses a Remington 870 16 gauge pump. She has two barrels for it, one for skeet and an 18" for home defense. My 12 was just too hard for her and the kids 20 was to light.

I thought about the 16 gauge but I was under the impression they weren't so popular anymore. IS ammo hard to find?

Mrs.Downtown

I love my Browning BPS for all kinds of bird hunting and just upgraded to a Benelli. Biggest advice I'd give anyone is to try try try before you buy. They feel different to different people and she has to be comfortable with it before she will use it.

orvalosbert

Thanks for the information!

I did a little shotgun shopping this past weekend and in visiting with the manager at the Minot Scheels he also suggested purchasing a 12 gauge and using a lighter load shot. Another suggestion he had was to purchase the 12 gauge regular size (not youth or compact) and have it cut down at a gun shop. However I'm not sure if I am excited about having one cut down. I'd rather just purchase one that fits from the beginning. He also talked about the gel pad and said they were worthwhile.

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to get but all this information helps in making a decision!

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Got a budget? I've never really seen the purpose of a Semi Auto Shotgun, when pump action can be farily quick.

Mossberg 500C 20ga might be a good choice. (C for Child or Carbine)

Or that $189 Mossberg Maverick in a 20guage with 18.5in barrel.

And then yes, the Low Recoil rounds been suggested is an option too to get used to shooting then get away from those. I'm not real fond of those weak rounds but they are good to break in a newbie.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Got a budget? I've never really seen the purpose of a Semi Auto Shotgun, when pump action can be farily quick.

Mossberg 500C 20ga might be a good choice. (C for Child or Carbine)

Or that $189 Mossberg Maverick in a 20guage with 18.5in barrel.

And then yes, the Low Recoil rounds been suggested is an option too to get used to shooting then get away from those. I'm not real fond of those weak rounds but they are good to break in a newbie.

I'm guessing you've never played with a Saiga 12. While pump guns are fun, a nice semi auto shotgun simply can't be beat. Dumping a 10 round mag as fast as you can pull the trigger, and being able to stay on target... it's a blast.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I'm guessing you've never played with a Saiga 12. While pump guns are fun, a nice semi auto shotgun simply can't be beat. Dumping a 10 round mag as fast as you can pull the trigger, and being able to stay on target... it's a blast.

I know how they work, and know they're fun with little to no recoil at all. Kinda why I asked what the budget was. If no budget, just for the Russian AA12 and call it good. :rofl:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts