Wtb a Ar15 help

Gsxrraptor

Hello everyone , Im new to the forum and a noob on this subject , but I wanted to build a Reliable ar15 for home defense or Zombie apocalypse :killer: ,shot a few and like the rifle i want to build something that is not going to jamb up on me and user friendly

Like I mention I do not know anything about the ar15 I order few handbooks to learn the mechanism an parts on this weapon .
Neither do I know a good brand. Or good prices

Budget would be around 1500 less would be good but again I'm looking for quality an reliability
Again all the accessories so on not a big deal since I would like to invest majority of the money in the operating component of the gun!

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Welcome to the forum. I am in a similar position right now, working on building my first AR so I am certainly no expert. You can build a very good rifle with your budget. From what I gather so far, if you want reliability, the main things are the bcg and magazines.

BCG - Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense

magazines - pmag, pmag, pmag, pmag

There seems to be differing opinions on M4 feed ramps but I have yet to hear of any downside to them.

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
In the process of building my first AR at the moment. Just waiting on a few parts to show up and I'll be done. For your budget you can buy or build a nice quality rifle. Whatever you decide make sure to do lots of research so you get exactly what you want/need. I would suggest buying a preassembled, ready to go right out of the box since you're not very familiar with the weapon. Whichever way you decide to go make gunbroker your best friend. You can find some pretty good deals on there

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
I barely have two parts by the same manufacturer on mine lol. It's a complete build from scratch. I have no personal experience with either of those so I can't tell anything there.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Just curious, why did you guys decide to build them instead of just buying one? I'm not all too familiar with rifles so go easy on me. My buddy just bought a Bushmaster patrolman and it seems great. Is there any benefit of building one other than saving some cash and customizing it? I think I'd prefer a stock one for the reliability, no?

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
Just curious, why did you guys decide to build them instead of just buying one? I'm not all too familiar with rifles so go easy on me. My buddy just bought a Bushmaster patrolman and it seems great. Is there any benefit of building one other than saving some cash and customizing it? I think I'd prefer a stock one for the reliability, no?

I'm building a SBR and the original plan was to save a little. That went out the window pretty quick and became a plan of getting exactly what I want with a set budget in mind. I'm not too far over the budget and have a little ways to go :p

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Oh man. I can't keep up with all the abbreviations lol! Glad to see you're not too much over budget though!

oppo

Full Access Member
You can get exactly what you want and spend your money on the parts of the rifle that will provide the performance you want and not waste money on parts that won't. As for stock, we are building them from stock parts. AR15's are modular.

Why spend the extra money on a Daniel Defense free floating fore end when others will do the same and weigh less for $200 dollars less. That is money I can spend on a top quality barrel. Also, why way overpay for a name on the side of the lower receiver or pay someone to put in a lower parts kit or overpay for the butstock or be limited on my choices?

AR15's are legos for men and parts are interchangeable.

moodster

Full Access Member
I was going nuts on what to buy to build,then looking at different complete guns also.
Finally settled on a Barrett rec 7 in 5.56.
Should be here early next week.

oppo

Full Access Member
Btw, a trained monkey could put together a lower.

I am building a 6x45 with a heavy, not bull, 20" Shilen barrel and Geissele SSA-E trigger. I haven't worked out all the details on the upper yet. The bcg will be whatever is actually available from the list above.

Txhillbilly

Full Access Member

There's nothing wrong with an off the shelf AR15,but most people want different things in/on their guns,and most mfg'd guns either have stuff or don't have stuff that each person wants.
Building/Assembling your own lets you put exactly what parts/accessories you want on a rifle.
Sometimes it's cheaper than buying a complete rifle,and then adding the stuff that you desire to have on one.

As long as you use quality components in a rifle,they are completely reliable.If you buy the cheapest stuff that you can find,you will more than likely have a gun that will have problems.
Like the saying goes-You get what you pay for!

Members online

No members online now.