Your odd caliber

TScottW99

Full Access Member
We all know of the popular calibers and we all have one that we love. I'm a .45acp guy here. But we also have a caliber that is a bit odd that we have fondness for also. I actually have more fondness for the odd balls then the regular guys. Curious as to what your odd ball is.

Would guess my favorite odd ball that I own is my .480Ruger. A great round for hunting and shooting.

Bluez

Full Access Member
It depends what your defintion of odd is too:)

in my mind my 357 Magnum is an internationally odd caliber for a handgun and can be found (almost) only in american revolvers.

But I love it so to me it balances perfectly power with controlability.
in my mind it is the perfect caliber as it is the most powerful one you can buy that's not so powerful it will be a disincentive to train.

cce1302

Full Access Member
.32 acp has really been overshadowed by .380, and pretty much relegated to lower quality pistols such as jennings and kel-tec, but I have a little inox Beretta Tomcat that I'm quite enamored with. Great little pocket pistol, with solid construction and a nice finish.

Arckadian

This is not my weapon, but my father will back me up on this I think. My grandfather has an odd weapon that uses 44-40 rounds. The old cowboy action rounds. I refer to these as odd only because they can be used in rifles and revolvers.

Bluez

Full Access Member
How about 7.92 mm Kurz?
Dont own a gun in this caliber but I would love to.:D

STF

Full Access Member
I've been messing with the 300blackout for a while now but I had a mis-hap deer hunting the other day and I'm considering selling the whole setup.

STF

Full Access Member
Didn't down the deer at 30-40 yards. I wasn't expecting the round to down the animal immediately but I also wasn't expecting it to walk around for 3 hours afterwards and then jump the fence into the neighbors property.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Where did you hit it? I saw the bullet you posted and wondered if it would do the job. For such a small varmint they are tough. Luckily it was not a hog he would have laughed it off. What was the wound channel like? Did it go through the shoulder.

STF

Full Access Member
I'm afraid it was my fault. I got a little anxious for some reason right before the shot. I was aiming for the boiler room but I'm afraid I hit him high in the front shoulder. I don't think the bullet traveled through him though I can't be certain. With the lack of blood I'm doubting that possibility since I only found one little drop right where he hopped the fence.

I have the whole thing on video and I'm working on getting it uploaded to youtube so I can try and figure out where I hit him for sure.

This round would not do anything to a hog for sure.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Those high shoulder shots are tough. I shot one the other year when I had a broken arm. Never did get him. A .458 caliber, 300 grain Barnes TMZ. That bullet is great in my muzzleloader but the shot was high and he went on. I'm certain he lived after that shot. We trailed him forever and he then went straight up a mountain and clotted.

STF

Full Access Member
I'm hoping he lived but I may never know. I'm thinking it just stuck in his shoulder.

STF

Full Access Member
on a semi related note he was barely big enough(meaning I think he was legal....) so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

13" is legal and I keep telling my buddy he was every bit of 13.0625" LOL

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
We all know of the popular calibers and we all have one that we love. I'm a .45acp guy here. But we also have a caliber that is a bit odd that we have fondness for also. I actually have more fondness for the odd balls then the regular guys. Curious as to what your odd ball is.

Would guess my favorite odd ball that I own is my .480Ruger. A great round for hunting and shooting.

I used an 03-A3 and a stainless Bull Barrel, built a .375 Ruger, hauled it to Mine Son in Alaska. He did`n know I was building it, He told Me once though, that He would like a .375 Ruger for the Alaskan game.

I also have a wild-cat rifle that I put together, a 30-338.

kwo51

Full Access Member
More than a few shoulder shots with 30.06 were clean kills. Hogs one stop kills with 06. Also now have 270 for bambi. 30.06 is the most reliable for me.

Members online

No members online now.