Hi Point Cheap ACP Info and Opinions ???

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
A Hi Point! Ohh noooo...:snoopfacepalm:
;)

got to have a junker..

Uhhh, so what's wrong with a Hi Point other than they are ugly as hell? I've actually considered getting 2 of them. 1 for me, and 1 for my dad.

Moreless just for a side arm or lay around gun for when we're out on the property. I would like to have one just to toss in the crossbox in the back of the 4x4 truck and not have to carry it directly on my person when at the property. My dad has a box strapped to his ATV and had literally abused the hell out his gun because of the bouncing around and things getting stacked on top of it. We won't carry them on us because many times, we're in and out of the pond up to our waist digging out beaver dams. But, we do want one within a few step reach. Beavers will chase your ass down, and have been approached by skunks that were probably rabid. I just figured a cheap ass hand gun would do the trick. If it got dropped in the pond, all scratched and scuffed up then so what, it was cheap enough. As said, "A junker gun" to be abused.

My dad also lost one of his guns out at the property too. It fell off the ATV. It was found about 8 months later by accident when the sun happened to have hit it just right and it was seen off the side of the trail in the winter time when vegetation had died off.

So how are they as far as dependability? Any know common problems? Is their fixes for the problems? Any one caliber have less problems than another? For our purpose .380 would probably be fine, but 9mm would be better. Can't see doing a .40 since it's not for person to person self defense, so whichever is most dependable is what I'd go with to take out a skunk or beaver at not more than 20 yards, or take a shot at a snake to shoo it away since it's not likely to hit it.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
High point pistol slides are made of cast non-ordnance grade steel. They rarely to never function properly. The reason being is poor, cheap design. They use a fixed barrel, leaving the only recoil system to be a single barrel spring. Its a failed concept on anything bigger than a .380 (and still not very good there). That's why the slide is so massive. They had to keep adding weight to it to make up for the insufficient recoil system. There is nothing to be done to make a high point pistol even partially dependable aside from a lot of luck.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
NUFF SAID !!! Damn, what a POS. That can be dangerous too. Fuggin outlaw those SOBs.

Seeing those pics is enough for me. And that poor guy there spent more money on tactical junk for his Hi Point than he did the Hi Point.

KKing

Full Access Member
So....if we can all be honest, how many of you have actually shot a Hipoint? Or owned one for any amount of time to base an actual opinion from? One gun with a bad casting out of how many? I know for a few years Hipoint was among the top selling in America, so they have put out a metric shit load of pistiols. There have been numerous other manufacturer's guns fail, but it seems that this single failed hipoint adds fuel to the fire for the folks that say "It's cheap, it must be crap". I'll say this...for years I've read a bunch of crap like this on the internet from people who heard it from a guy they know, who had a cousin that owned one. I don't own one, but my father does, in .380, had it about 3 years now. He's put a little over 1,200 rounds through it, with ONE FTF, and no magical spontaneous combustions causing him to lose life or limb. That's not an outrageously high number of rounds, but I'd be willing to say there are people who swear by pistols with far fewer rounds through them. Now, would I use one as my CCW? Well hell no. I mean, have you felt the weight and size? Not to mention I can't speak to the accuracy, though he seems pleased. He owns high quality guns, but the Hipoint serves a purpose. He uses it exactly like you want to, just an around the farm, boat, whatever.

Last edited:

ViperJeff

Administrator
Never owned a Hi-Point, probably never will for the same reason I wouldn't own a Hennessey built car

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Nope not me. I've heard and seen enough. I'm not stupid. I am willing to learn from others mistakes.

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
So....if we can all be honest, how many of you have actually shot a Hipoint? Or owned one for any amount of time to base an actual opinion from? One gun with a bad casting out of how many? I know for a few years Hipoint was among the top selling in America, so they have put out a metric shit load of pistiols. There have been numerous other manufacturer's guns fail, but it seems that this single failed hipoint adds fuel to the fire for the folks that say "It's cheap, it must be crap". I'll say this...for years I've read a bunch of crap like this on the internet from people who heard it from a guy they know, who had a cousin that owned one. I don't own one, but my father does, in .380, had it about 3 years now. He's put a little over 1,200 rounds through it, with ONE FTF, and no magical spontaneous combustions causing him to lose life or limb. That's not an outrageously high number of rounds, but I'd be willing to say there are people who swear by pistols with far fewer rounds through them. Now, would I use one as my CCW? Well hell no. I mean, have you felt the weight and size? Not to mention I can't speak to the accuracy, though he seems pleased. He owns high quality guns, but the Hipoint serves a purpose. He uses it exactly like you want to, just an around the farm, boat, whatever.

Well i do own one its a .40 cal and it does shoot with no problems so far but the gun is just bad all the way around. heavy as hell, way to big, loose, really bad second shot recovery, bad recoil, ect...... only good things are. shoots pretty damn stright ony if you get lined back up after your last shot, Cheap price, ....... I forgot to say one thing that does not matter but the fact is the gun is UGLY AS HELL! :rotflmao: Just saying..

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I don't care to shoot a HI Point after seeing several different pics of them blowing to friggin pieces. Sure it might only be the 1 in the 100 that fail, but I've never seen pics of other guns fail like that. You only get 1 set of eyes and 1 face. No Thanks !!!

DrkSide

Full Access Member
I owned a C9 for about 3 years as my first centerfire pistol. Got it before I knew anything much about guns from a friend at the place I was working at. I put probably around 1500 rounds through it over the 3 years that I owned it. In that time I had 1 FTE and that was the only problem. If you take it for what it is considering the price I think they are great guns. :shrug:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I owned a C9 for about 3 years as my first centerfire pistol. Got it before I knew anything much about guns from a friend at the place I was working at. I put probably around 1500 rounds through it over the 3 years that I owned it. In that time I had 1 FTE and that was the only problem. If you take it for what it is considering the price I think they are great guns. :shrug:

It just scares me, that it only takes one bad catastrophic failure to be seriously hurt, and I've seen 3 of these Hi Points blown to pieces. A .40 and 2 45's. In all fairness, I guess it could be, Maybe they were hot loads. Maybe the problem has been corrected. :shrug: I was the one that asked about them, because of the price point. I like to have a cheap ACP for riding my ATV out on the 160 acres and at least one for my dad. He has lost a revolver out there. Luckily it was found about a year later and by his buddy, not a kid or a thief. It wouldn't be used for Self Defense or something that your life depended on, so I figured it would have FTF or FTE and that would be tolerable. Never know, if I see one at a price I just can't pass up, I might do it, but I"d want a later model one for sure. And maybe even a 9mm. A round that isn't so hard on the frame or slide.

KKing

Full Access Member
Can you tell me where you've seen these multiple failures? I've seen a couple, where they tried to blow it up to see what it takes, but none other than this naturally

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Can you tell me where you've seen these multiple failures? I've seen a couple, where they tried to blow it up to see what it takes, but none other than this naturally

I have seen one slide with a crack and yes after i shoot mine and thats rare i take the gun apart and inspect it. there just a cheap gun...

KKing

Full Access Member
Well...not trying to stir the pot...but this is by no means a "cheap" gun. Feces occurs my friends, regardless how much you spend. Cast slides be damned
4amare9a.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.