.40 S&W vs. 10mm - Your Thoughts

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Like the title says, what are your opinions on the two rounds. 10mm being the stronger of the two but the .40 S&W being less expensive and easier to find. I've not shot either so I'm looking for your thoughts.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I am a big fan of the 10mm. Not the cheapest to shoot but ammo is readily available. 10mm guns tend to have bigger grips if that is an issue. I would not want a 10mm in a compact pistol.

In a full sized frame I would much prefer a 10mm or .45 over the .40. If you are looking for a concealed carry gun I suggest trying a compact .40 before buying.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
10mm is basically just a hotter version of the 40.

For concealed carry, I'd roll with the 40 S&W. Less recoil, smaller frame pistol(generally), and less chance of over penetration.

For a combat scenario, give me that 10mm!:sunot:

cce1302

Full Access Member
the .40 S&W seems to be enough for personal defensive use and fits in smaller guns than the 10mm.

.40 ammo is cheaper than 10mm.

A lot of commercial 10mm ammo is downloaded to 40 S&W ranges (40 S&W performance at 10mm prices)

the .40 can't do anything the 10mm can't do with regard to performance.

the 10mm has potential to put out more velocity and energy than the .40 S&W.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
Since I reload, and have normal sized hands, I much prefer 10mm. I can see someone not liking it because of ammo availability, price, and recoil, but I don't mind any of those things. Also, the fireballs on a hot round are pretty intense, haha. Yes, I pack a 10mm when temperatures allow, and wouldn't feel hindered at all by the recoil. You could call me a fanboy, but I love all guns (except charter, para, and Rossi...)

SWSS

Full Access Member
10mm is basically just a hotter version of the 40.

For concealed carry, I'd roll with the 40 S&W. Less recoil, smaller frame pistol(generally), and less chance of over penetration.

For a combat scenario, give me that 10mm!:sunot:
^^^ditto but I am biased, of course I really like the .40 S&W.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Part of this question will depend on what gun you intend to get?

If you're going to go with a Glock 22 or Glock 23, I'd go with the .40 without question. I'd probably choose the .40 over the 10mm anyway, but 100% certain on the .40 if going Glock.

Reason being, if you have a G22 or G23, for another $125 you can buy a G31/G32 .357 sig barrel and shoot .357 sig using the same .40 mags. Another $125 and G17/G19 mag with the 9mm conversion barrel, also shoot 9mm. Shoot all 3 calibers for half the price of another gun. This will come in very very handy if there is an ammo shortage. Also allows you to practice with cheaper 9mm ammo.

BTW, Good to know about the G30 and the 10mm conversion barrel. I want one more Hi Cap Glock before the ban hits, and I am thinking it might just be a G21. I"ll get more serious when I get cash, but I'm going for a full frame this time. Either gonna go big with a .45 or go small with a 9mm.

I originally thought, why do I need another Glock when I can shoot 9mm, .40 and .357Sig in the one I have. But, in the event something does go down and I end up having to shoot someone, I'm sure I'll have to surrender the gun for some time while investigation goes on, and I'd probably be lucky to get it back. I hear once the cops get your gun, you're likely to never see it again even if you are the good guy.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

If I do it, I'll be doing he G21 Full Size Frame. Same Price though and available for the full frame .45 too.
http://www.glockmeister.com/Storm-L...ith-the-GLOCK-21/productinfo/GL-21-10MMC-460/

Anytime you shoot 2 or more different rounds in a gun, it can be a big advantage. I bought a .357 knowing I could shoot .38. I'd also buy a .44 Mag knowing I can shoot .44 Special. The boys shoot the .357/.44Mag, the ladies and kids can shoot .38S/.44S until they're ready to step up. Also great to have more options on cost and availability in this day and age.

oppo

Full Access Member
They each have advantages. As a handloader, I would love to have a 10mm. The biggest reason I don't is the relatively limited options for pistols chambered in it. I like the increased performance and versatility. On the other hand, there is a huge selection of pistols in 40 S&W and many that are grwat for concealed carry. I almost got a 40 for that purpose but went with 357 Sig.

kwo51

Full Access Member
When the fan hits the poop propeller the blue hats may not have 10mm.Nice round but not common enough.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I can't understand the concept of "too much duck dynasty." Hahaha

HEY, Si it the guy that cracks me the fugg up !!!

The show is friggin stupid, and obviously staged. I did come to like it though ONLY because it usually does have a good message, and end with the family all together at the table with a prayer is priceless.

America would be totally different if that's the way it really was.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
That's no lie, and everyone but Willie cracks me up. It may be scripted, but Willie is too uptight and ackward.

Members online

No members online now.