Ammo flying off the shelves

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Anyone else noticing ammo is flying off the shelves? Can't find any .45 ammo anywhere in GA.

FarFromStock

I went to Walmart last weekend to do some shopping. Since I had heard about all the "panic buying" of ammo, I decided to check to see what the shelves looked like and discovered that they had plenty of most calibers with the exception of .223.

I'm hopeful that this is a sign that the folks in my area have employed proper planning and have been stocking other preps as well.

EDIT: I'm in the central Florida area.

Dr_Pain

Full Access Member
Shelves are filling up because (as depicted in the election), people have given up!:favorites37:

Humvee21

Full Access Member
Interesting. My buddy and me have been to 6-8 gun stores including your regular Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. and cannot find any .45 acp, .223, and .40... You guys are lucky!

armoredman

Full Access Member
WalMart in Casa Grande AZ was well stocked last time I was in there, a few days ago, plenty of ammo AND AR-15 and Mini-14 rifles.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Interesting. My buddy and me have been to 6-8 gun stores including your regular Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. and cannot find any .45 acp, .223, and .40... You guys are lucky!

Well, maybe they stock shelves in FL like they count ballots. Give it a couple days. We've got plenty of ammo here as of right now. If low on anything it's 30.06, .270 and those type rounds. Guys getting ready for hunting season I'm sure. We've already had a Black Powder season and getting ready to go into Archery IIRC.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Just came from my Walmart. Lots of empty space on the shelves where popular calibers once were. If there were any 9mm or .45 it was the expensive stuff. All the value packs were gone.

Gotta say one positive thing about Obama (as much as it pains me), He's been good for the guns and ammo industry. That's one way to stimulate the economy. The Raleigh Dixie Gun & Knife Show is this weekend. I bet it's going to be swamped.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Just came from my Walmart. Lots of empty space on the shelves where popular calibers once were. If there were any 9mm or .45 it was the expensive stuff. All the value packs were gone.

Gotta say one positive thing about Obama (as much as it pains me), He's been good for the guns and ammo industry. That's one way to stimulate the economy. The Raleigh Dixie Gun & Knife Show is this weekend. I bet it's going to be swamped.

Oh yeah, you're not kidding. There are some companies reaping the rewards of Obama. Exxon, Phillips66, Remington, Winchesters, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Hornady, Speer, etc.

Bigdaddy

Full Access Member
Went to the Walmart tonight and they didn't have any .45 ammo but I really go to the surplus ammo store anyway.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I just got back from Wally's. While there checked out ammo. Very very low on 9mm and .40S&W. All they really had the was expensive Self Defense Rounds and even then, maybe just a box or 3 of those. As far as .45 ACP, they had a truck load (not literally) of it in various brands, quantities, grains and even had the Bulk packs. Plenty of selection in the .45ACP. Very low selection on 357 Mag too. .45 and .38 Special you'd be good to go.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
In Tampa St. Pete area I have no problems finding 9/40/45 In wal-mart. Last month I was able to get a ammo can of Federal.223 55 grain. 420 Rds for $165. They must have got alot of them I would of bought the 3 cans they had but $ was not avalible to me at that time. I still feel the best bet is to buy bulk online.I picked up 600 rds of american eagle for $220 shipped.

Arkansasguns

Full Access Member
Walmart seems no less stocked than normal here. Of course in rural Arkansas everyone already had a gun and stockpiles of ammo anyway...

Wilson

I always have a year suply of amo on hand buy more before you run out. kinda like when I used to drink beer. a beer frige don't do much good if it's empty.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I always have a year suply of amo on hand buy more before you run out. kinda like when I used to drink beer. a beer frige don't do much good if it's empty.

I like the way you think Wilson. And that Beer fridge is cheaper to keep the beer cold if it's full too.
I keep my ammo stocked in my gun vault too. Of all my rifle and handgun rounds I keep very close to 1000 rounds in various Calibers, and that's not counting the AK-47 and SKS rounds or Shotgun shells. I try to keep at least 500 rounds of that 7.62x39 on hand by buying it in bricks of 1000 rounds at gun shows. Then I keep about 25-50 00 Buckshot rounds, and at least 100 rounds of general purpose cheap birdshot. So whenever I go shooting, I use what I have on hand, then replace at least what I shot and many times more. This way I'm also keeping my ammo rotated and fresh supply.

Guns do you no good if you don't have ammo to shoot. And you never know when something might go down, and you won't have time to go buy it, or it's out of stock or you might be financially broke at the time and can't afford to buy it. I need to stock up myself, I"m a bit low on the AK-47/SKS rounds and .357Mag rounds right now.

Edit: Oh, and as cheap as .22LR is, I don't include that either, in the 1000 round inventory, but usually have at least one unopened 500-550 carton of bulk .22LR and whatever is left over from what I didn't shoot from the last box opened up.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts