Another surgery

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
So, I was able to compromise and got with a company that had been trying to get me to work for them for some time and has been teasing me with this nice self loader for awhile. I didn't want to, but knowing I had the option, I compromised with the Dr and told him the difference. He agreed to give me a chance with it. So I went for it last Friday. Just in 1 week, I can tell it was the right move. No more climbing stairs to get in and out of truck all day, laying down and bending over to hook chains and winches etc. Unless I have to drop dollies, I only get out the truck to hook a safety chain and wheels straps that are at about waist level so not near the strain on my back and I can sure tell a difference.

Attachments

• ShelbyCobra 016.jpg
    ShelbyCobra 016.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
  • CCarWinchOutTow 002b.jpg
    CCarWinchOutTow 002b.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6
  • CCarF150.jpg
    CCarF150.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
There is a big difference between a 550 and a 800ish chassis. I have spent a lot of time in Pete's with the heavy front ends, 385 & 425 front tires. I probably climbed in and out 100 times in an average day. I don't miss it.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Thats what all the hookers say!

And I'm a "Cheap Hooker" !!!

But damn, I sure love this new to me self loader. Fantastic for those dangerous situations. Had a call today at 4:15 pm, traffic was pretty heavy but moving fast. The guy had broke down, got a ride home and didn't even leave the damn key. It was on the right shoulder, but so damn narrow, this little Kia was up against the wall on the one side, and the left tires just on the line. Front wheel drive thankfully. I called the guy up and asked if he set the E brake. He said NO but it's in Park. PERFECT. Backed up, Stabbed it, Lifted it and on my way I went. Didn't even get out of the truck.I know those Kia with smaller wheels sit real nice in the wheel lift, so I wasn't worried about losing it, so long as I wasn't hitting any big bumps or dips going fast, or riding someones ass and need to slam on the brakes, so I went with it and took it for a 24 mile tow with the flashers on. Dropped it at the dealer in the tow row and since I didn't have a key, didn't even have to check it in. Set it down and drove off. Never got out of the truck. Nothing to brag about really, but it was a nice break. Self loader or not, you should always get out to put wheel straps on and hook a safety chain and run tow lights if needed. However, it is nice to have the option if hooking up in an unsafe area where you're having to be out in the lane cuz dumbasses certainly DO NOT move over or slow down like they're supposed to. In this case, I should have gotten off the next exit, strapped it down, and put a safety chain on.

BTW, Repo guys usually don't strap down at all either. They hook and book all the way to the yard. Some will get quite a bit of distance away, then pull over and go thru the safety protocol. But we all know, it's very rare a tow truck drops a car with a wheel lift if you know you've hooked it right and confident in what you do, without be cocky. Get Cocky, you'll get bit for sure. Some vehicles, like full size pick ups, I don't piss around. Bigger wheels don't set in the lift as nice, I strap them down everytime regardless if dangerous or not.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.