AR15 or Shotgun for Home Defense

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Although I prefer a handgun (personally, Ruger GP100 6" loaded with .357 158gr JHP)

Between an AR and a shotgun, I'd choose a scattergun.
Rem. 870 and 2 3/4" 00 buck

BOJANGLES

Full Access Member
I have to concur with most here. An AR is a bit impractical as a home defense weapon, particularly in an urban environment. Personally I use a 12 gauge with a floodlight and 1911s for home defense.

I suppose I could see someone justifying using a bullpup rifle for HD if penetration wasn't a concern, but nonetheless I still think a rifle is not the best tool for the job in regards to indoor home defense.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Time and place for any of the guns mentioned. I think a RPG for the load music people at 0300.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I have to concur with most here. An AR is a bit impractical as a home defense weapon, particularly in an urban environment. Personally I use a 12 gauge with a floodlight and 1911s for home defense.

I suppose I could see someone justifying using a bullpup rifle for HD if penetration wasn't a concern, but nonetheless I still think a rifle is not the best tool for the job in regards to indoor home defense.

Im talking more of an permiter set up, if there is a another katrina or other natural disaster. People have done and continue to loot rob steal ETC.. My Main protection is my G19 with a 33rd OEM under my pillow. I guess I should have made that clear in the OP....My AR has frangeble ammo in it..http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/frangible.htm

tacticold

Full Access Member
Given the two choices only, shotgun.

In reality, I have all three in the bedroom with me at night....the third being a Sig 1911 .45, which is my go-to gun in the house when things go bump in the night.

Members online

No members online now.