Bug Out Bag

kwo51

Full Access Member
When I finally get done with my bag it is so big big I just stay home.
A compass,,fire starter,halozon tablets,meds,first aid kit and the list goes on. I carry most of these in my truck, pistol always and shot gun if staying away for some time.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yeah, these bags can grow pretty quickly. And get heavy. I'm a big guy so any clothes I pack take up more room. So here is my list of things I want in the "Get Home Bag".

A change of clothes.
A poncho so I can stay dry. I also want it camo so I can stay hidden if necessary. It also can serve as a light shelter or ground cover.
A water filtration system. You won't be able to carry enough water so you need to be able to get some along the way. In addition, a small bottle of Chlorine bleach. The filter will get the bugs, the bleach will get the viruses. (30 minute contact time, 2 drops per liter).
Meds and first aid kit.
Defense tools (it goes bang).
A good knife or machete.
Something to make fire or a camp stove.
Some protein bars and other assorted long lasting food.

Thought of some more:

Some cordage (paracord etc.)
A light source or seven.

Any other ideas? I know I haven't thought of everything.

Last edited:

SWSS

Full Access Member
I make each member have a bug out backpack and a family bag. As each has different needs, meds, etc it is up to them. I also include food for the dogs as the are very useful when shtf comes along. Sorry kitty, you not so much. Don't be a hater, just keeping it real.

send from my defenseless droid bot, using tapatype. well, I am not talking...

SWSS

Full Access Member
Haha, come on ningy. I will teach you the art of "corn mash" survival!

Sent from my iPoop device using Tapatalk

KingSloth

I live in canada where the gun laws are quite strict, auch as the laws on carrying a pistol unless you are going to a Range so i cant just throw one in my survival bag. So i have resorted to carrying a pump action 22.cal pellet gun, these weapons do not require registration or licensing in canada and they are legal to carry anywhere outside of cities, not like im going to meed a survival bag in the city. Other good long range hunting weapons might also include a modified slingshot that is able to fire arrows. If you can carry a gun then you should cause that will allow you to take down larger game such as boar, but, if you live in canada i find these work great for getting squirrels or rabbits. Another good hing to carry that is small for getting food would be wire fo making snares or other game traps.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I live in canada where the gun laws are quite strict, auch as the laws on carrying a pistol unless you are going to a Range so i cant just throw one in my survival bag. So i have resorted to carrying a pump action 22.cal pellet gun, these weapons do not require registration or licensing in canada and they are legal to carry anywhere outside of cities, not like im going to meed a survival bag in the city. Other good long range hunting weapons might also include a modified slingshot that is able to fire arrows. If you can carry a gun then you should cause that will allow you to take down larger game such as boar, but, if you live in canada i find these work great for getting squirrels or rabbits. Another good hing to carry that is small for getting food would be wire fo making snares or other game traps.

You'd be surprised what you might need to exit a city in a SHTF situation. If your downtown and everything shuts down. Cars quit, no lights, no cell phone, everything just stops working. Things are going to get nasty quickly. How do you get home? How far from home do you work? Would having to walk home take a couple hours or days? And in what climate? You may need a "Get Home Bag".

Can you legally carry Mace/Pepper Spray? Here in the States it can be carried mostly everywhere. I just bought a couple cans to keep around the house/car. If someone tries to force there way into the house they'll get a dose of pepper spray. And if that doesn't stop them then the next level with be lethal.

If you haven't read "One Second After" yet, get a copy and read it. It's fiction on an EMP going off over the states and how one little town (Black Mountain, NC) deals with it. If you weren't a prepper before reading it, you'll be one after.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
When the shtf guns knives wasp spray or any thing to protect self will be OK.

I use to think wasp spray would be good as a deterrent. Then I saw this video of a guy getting doused in it and it didn't slow him down. That's when I decided it was only going to be pepper spray. I have seen a video of a guy still operating thru a dose of pepper spray. But that's not the norm. But in a SHTF situation, anything is better than nothing at all.

Granted, this is an advertisement for pepper spray and perhaps you'd get a different result with different wasp spray but this changed my mind. You can see other video's on the effectiveness of pepper spray online.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uy9MnQfk_0[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR19OmAfQLc[/ame]

Last edited:

KingSloth

You'd be surprised what you might need to exit a city in a SHTF situation. If your downtown and everything shuts down. Cars quit, no lights, no cell phone, everything just stops working. Things are going to get nasty quickly. How do you get home? How far from home do you work? Would having to walk home take a couple hours or days? And in what climate? You may need a "Get Home Bag".

Can you legally carry Mace/Pepper Spray? Here in the States it can be carried mostly everywhere. I just bought a couple cans to keep around the house/car. If someone tries to force there way into the house they'll get a dose of pepper spray. And if that doesn't stop them then the next level with be lethal.

If you haven't read "One Second After" yet, get a copy and read it. It's fiction on an EMP going off over the states and how one little town (Black Mountain, NC) deals with it. If you weren't a prepper before reading it, you'll be one after.

In canada i am allowed to carry bear mace, but, the self defence laws are alot different here, sometimes it seems like the attacker has to take an arm and a leg before you can even tell them to stop. Although, in a true SHTF situation in which i was truly worried for my safety, i wouldnt concern myself with the laws. Im not even allowed by law to conceal carry a knife with a blade length of over 3 inches unless i can argue the fact that i use it for work. And if my attacked had a fire arm i would have to try my luck using the 21 foot and under rule. Also in canada im pretty sure i need a PAL to purchase bear mace, and sadly i am under 18.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Stumbled across this video of a guy getting hit with pepper spray. But they had a pepper spray neutralizer handy to counter the effects. Lets see how that worked out.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6eoQLhG_B8[/ame]

kwo51

Full Access Member
All laws and common reason are out in a shtf situation . Any common tool can be used as a weapon and will be.

KingSloth

Yeah but in preperation for a SHTF situation, i dont want to be carrying suspicious items in my vehicle. plus at 16 i wouldnt be able to explain carrying a tomahawk in my trunk either, not that they could jail me for it but they could make my day a bit rough by questioning me all day.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts