do guns accidently go off???

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Anything mechanical can malfunction. Things break. Apparently that was the case with the rifle in the article. There was also a Brazilian made Taurus that would fire if the gun was shaken. They were recalled to investigate what that problem was. Don't know haw many guns it actually affected but 90K plus of them were recalled. But these were made specifically for some police organization. Gun safety rule #2 comes into play here.

2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Massive recall of Brazilian MPs' Taurus 24/7 pistols (VIDEO)

kwo51

Full Access Member
AR's most shotguns and many semi-auto guns can fire if dropped or used as a hammer. I was shot by a pump shot gun that fell over.

oppo

Full Access Member
It CAN happen but as a general rule, it went off means some doofus pulled the trigger. Yes, it is much more likely with long guns.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I'm pretty skeptical when I here of "accidental discharges" and the "I never touched the trigger" excuse.
Yes, it is possible for any mechanical device to malfunction and I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think this is truly a VERY RARE circumstance. Kind of on the same frequency of getting struck by lightning.

I generally think the term "accident" is very much overused in society. Most of the time there is negligence involved, which makes it NOT an accident.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I replace the word accidental with unintentional discharge, a little more to the point in my book.
Concealed 27

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Rarely. I've had it happen. Took the safety off of an old single shot .22. Right when it clicked it off the gun went BANG. Scared the poo out of me. The sear had worn down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kwo51

Full Access Member
Some full autos will have cook offs ! 1911 is known for firing twice if the have had trigger jobs that are to light or going full auto!

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The SKS if not maintained well can experience a slam fire. So imagine a 30 round magazine emptying all at once. What happens is the firing pin is floating in the bolt. If it gets gummed up and isn't able to retract back into the bolt when the bolt slams home the firing pin sets off the next round. All you can do is hang on.

Members online

No members online now.