How many of you

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
I always practice shooting center mass if I'm training, I figure the bigger the target the better my chances of success are.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The head can be quickly moved (side to side) making that shot difficult. The body, not so much. It has to follow the head. So a center mass shot is much more likely unless they're a ninja. In that case. Just hand them your gun.

Last edited:

oppo

Full Access Member
Imo, like everything else, it is situationally dependant. Center chest would generally be my first choice but in some circumstances, I would definitely shoot for the head.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Imo, like everything else, it is situationally dependant. Center chest would generally be my first choice but in some circumstances, I would definitely shoot for the head.

Yes, definitely situational. Like below would require a headshot if one were competent enough to do so.
TAPSShostage.jpg

ninja man

Full Access Member
The head can be quickly moved (side to side) making that shot difficult. The body, not so much. It has to follow the head. So a center mass shot is much more likely unless they're a ninja. In that case. Just hand them your gun.
thanks. i needed a new gun.......

ninja man

Full Access Member
The ninja is back I thought he found a new home or something... havent heard from him in awhile
yeah, frf kept me busy for a while. im a vendor there. had a few things to take care of.

i wouldnt leave this place. too many cool people here

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
I always practice shooting center mass if I'm training, I figure the bigger the target the better my chances of success are.

Very sound practice. Unless a "T-box" shot is achieved damaging the medulla oblongata, a head shot is useless. That is a hard shot to make and requires a lot of training. I've seen on several occasions men continue to fight with large portions of the skull damaged or removed. the body will continue to run unless the communication is cut from the brain. The upper abdominal/lower chest cavity is a sweet spot of sorts. The wound cavity and channel has a high probability of damaging vital organs, releasing bile and toxic fluids into the blood stream, and causing rapid hydrostatic shock. That info is from my personal experiences, not google lol.

- Rob

TheOl55

Full Access Member
Even the wife knows no matter what she has in her hands, from the .380 to her 16 gauge it needs to be a center mass shot. Period.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I shoot a silloute target and "double tap" at center mass....If i need to shoot in the head that will be my 3rd shot cause after 2 in the chest hes gonna be down so a head shot would put his lights out for good. But I do practice head shots every once in awhile but not my primary target practicing with pistols. With my AR i shoot center mass also...IMO i feel thats the best for practicing...Concealed 27

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
The infamous one shot one kill head shot is more Hollywood than real life. Most military snipers these day take a torso shot rather than a head shot.

I primarily train to the torso but I also practice with a 6" steel plate at 25 yards to keep my skills sharp.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Honestly, in a situation that requires me to shoot someone, id say you i would be happy as hell if they haint breathing and i am when it is over...knee cap to ball cap...dead.

SWSS from somewhere....

shooter

I was taught in my training classes a couple points I'd like to share.

First, gun fights last seconds, not minutes or hours. Hunting a head takes valuable time, time you are not likely to be afforded during an attack.

Second, should you encounter a shooter that you expect is wearing body armor, engage with multiple shots, center of mass, while moving off the line of force. Armor or not, he's gonna feel it. This buys you precious time. Time you can spend hunting the head.

The head of the company I've trained through had some examples of body armor shots and it was clear that even wearing level III armor, you'd sure as hell feel a 230 grain Hydro Shock.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts