Mossberg help please

JTKustoms

Hey guys so i bought a mossy 500 over the summer and have since upgraded to an ATI stock kit. This kit also came with a tactical looking forend with rails, but the problem is that my gun was manufactured this year and has the action tube basically built into the factory forend. I have read online that in order to use this new forend, I will need to buy an action slide tube but I'm not exactly sure which size and if it will just swap out that easily. Any advice on this?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
That's a new one on me. Some pics would be a big help. So you're saying you can change your forend if you wanted to without replacing the whole magazine tube?

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Hey guys so i bought a mossy 500 over the summer and have since upgraded to an ATI stock kit. This kit also came with a tactical looking forend with rails, but the problem is that my gun was manufactured this year and has the action tube basically built into the factory forend. I have read online that in order to use this new forend, I will need to buy an action slide tube but I'm not exactly sure which size and if it will just swap out that easily. Any advice on this?

you are correct in what youve read. your ati forend will have spacer adapters with it to adapt to the action tube length so it is not crucial. theyre made in 6 1/2" and 7 5/8" lengths. i would reccomend the 7 5/8" because its easier to fit and work with, and adaptable to a wider variety of forends. the best source for mossberg 500 parts is here http://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm. it will swap very easily. its a straight forward dis-assembly and re-assembly. im sure there are youtrube "how to" videos on the process. feel free to give us a call if you have any tech questions and we can talk you through it, Brothers In Arms - (830)-391-7677

That's a new one on me. Some pics would be a big help. So you're saying you can change your forend if you wanted to without replacing the whole magazine tube?

on some of the post 2006 made moss 500 guns, some were made with a polymer forend that was actually made for the moss maverick 88. it is a solid polymer forearm with the arms actually molded and pinned into the polymer forend. its a non removable forearm 1 piece unit.

its a nice upgrade to replace that one piece forend with a correct action tube. the one piece mossberg maverick 88 forend that ended up on some of these 500s' is prone to failure and puts a lot of stress on the action arms actuating the bolt.

JTKustoms

you are correct in what youve read. your ati forend will have spacer adapters with it to adapt to the action tube length so it is not crucial. theyre made in 6 1/2" and 7 5/8" lengths. i would reccomend the 7 5/8" because its easier to fit and work with, and adaptable to a wider variety of forends. the best source for mossberg 500 parts is here http://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm. it will swap very easily. its a straight forward dis-assembly and re-assembly. im sure there are youtrube "how to" videos on the process. feel free to give us a call if you have any tech questions and we can talk you through it, Brothers In Arms - (830)-391-7677

on some of the post 2006 made moss 500 guns, some were made with a polymer forend that was actually made for the moss maverick 88. it is a solid polymer forearm with the arms actually molded and pinned into the polymer forend. its a non removable forearm 1 piece unit.

its a nice upgrade to replace that one piece forend with a correct action tube. the one piece mossberg maverick 88 forend that ended up on some of these 500s' is prone to failure and puts a lot of stress on the action arms actuating the bolt.

Thank you for the quick response, ive taken it apart to clean before so disassembly and reassembly wont be a problem. I'll order the 7 5/8" one soon and see how it goes

hotrodpc

Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up on that. I was not aware of that. I was also looking at getting a cheap Maverick 88 for my son. Maybe not now. I have 3 Mossberg's 2 500's and an 835, never had a problem with none of them. I didn't think Mossberg and Failure belonged in the same sentence. So maybe I'll pass on this one, or is it not one of these non removeable forearm pieces?
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_298703_-1?N=39632025+4294961476

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the heads up on that. I was not aware of that. I was also looking at getting a cheap Maverick 88 for my son. Maybe not now. I have 3 Mossberg's 2 500's and an 835, never had a problem with none of them. I didn't think Mossberg and Failure belonged in the same sentence. So maybe I'll pass on this one, or is it not one of these non removeable forearm pieces?
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_298703_-1?N=39632025+4294961476

no problem, glad to help. that academy model 88 does in fact have the 1 piece non removeable forearms. with that gun your looking at a $65 action tube + the cost of whatever forearm you decide to put on it. its money better spent to just go with the moss 500. the 500 also has a thicker wall receiver that is made from a higher grade of aluminum than the model 88. mossberg doesnt even technically make the model 88. they own the patent and its manufacture is sub contracted out to a company in texas.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
the 835 is a good choice. the vent rib and ported barrel make for a nice selling point. the availability of rifled slug barrels for the 835 is nice too.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
the 835 is a good choice. the vent rib and ported barrel make for a nice selling point. the availability of rifled slug barrels for the 835 is nice too.

I also like the interchangeable optional threaded chokes available too. It's been a very good reliable gun so far. Not a problem one.

JTKustoms

no problem. i forgot to mention, i would reccomend a forearm wrench. just a little cheapy like this guy, http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Han...inchester/dp/B00687J5QO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_2, would work great. theres a castellated nut that holds the forearm on the action tube and its hard to reach with the ati furniture. its worth the money to save the frustration and marring of your gun.

thank you once again, i'm away at school so i havent been getting a lot of range time recently so i'm not really in any rush. but i plan on ordering atleast the slide tube next week then maybe ask a few gun friends if they have that tool before ordering it

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
How can a person tell right away by just looking at one of these Mossbergs if it's the one piece by just looking at it? On that Maverick I'm seeing some condom ring looking thing on the end of the foreskin, ooops excuse me, I mean forearm piece. Would that be it?

Oh, and I posted the wrong 835 that I have in Black instead of the Camo. I got the Turkey Ultifull. This is the one with the threaded choke, but no adjustable sights.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...51_298705_-1?N=39632025+4294961476+4294963078

Last edited:

79k10

500 has the tang safety and the 88 has the trigger safety, I think some of the first maverick 88's only had single action slide but it was failing and mossberg stepped it up with a double, like the 500... $200 for the 88, $300 for the 500... basically its the same gun with a trigger bolt safety, like my 795 marlin so it would be fine with me... the trigger on the 88's from mexico so you save $100 on the 88 , its all assembled in Texas... sounds lilke most things for the 500 will fit the 88 except new triggers ... either way theyre both solid

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.