Review: Max Velocity's Combat Rifle Drills Class

Bluez

Full Access Member
Just got done with a weekend at Max’s CRCD Class.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and I am sooo glad I overcame my workout injuries in the last couple of weeks to squeeze in some leg work-outs before I came.
but I get ahead of myself, let’s start from the beginning:

I had been in the military for quite some time but with only very sporadic tactical training mostly as a REMF.

Recently I decided to up my game and was looking around for some tactical classes.

Looked at the ubiquitous Magpul videos and some other “big name” classes and they just bothered the heck out of me.
They were mostly about becoming an AR driver and transition dancer, not a tactically proficient and rounded individual.,

Those others seemed to be focused on a PoU (Philosphy of Use) that might be good for the limited poU of a SWAT team but not for a civilian 1st Defender.

In my mind it is laughable that some of those schools make practicing transitions from rifle to handgun a mandatory part for their students, most of which have not yet even maxed out on the Rifle.

I myself even though I am <quite> good with a handgun wouldn’t think of making a training effort for transitions until I can no longer improve anything with my rifle skilsl AND I get driven to wherever I go, so I dont have to worry about the handgun displacing needed magazines or water…

I am not an experienced Infantryman but I know a thing or two about training troops and using the right PoU ….and in my mind the mainstream, Carbine classes that are currently taught often use a PoU that fits the instructors needs better than those of the students.

But enough about why I think others are flawed, lets talk about whats great about Max’s Class:

For one you are not on a static range…. pop up targets from different angles while doing live fire reaction drills as individuals, buddy teams, fire teams and as a capstone event as a Squad is a fantastic training tool.
its hard to imagine good training without it.
Secondly the terrain is realistic, no nicely maintained and easy to observe firing lane.. its all a conglomerate of bushes and trees and inclines and declines and ravines and stumps and rocks etc etc.
Just like in the real world!
Also , while Max takes reasonable safety precautions, he doesnt allow excessive precautions to cripple training like you will find sometimes in the big military and in most police depts.
You get treated as an adult, which is why it is important you show up only after getting thoroughly comfortable with your rifle.

Finally Max makes a real effort to explain and make sure student understand which tactical response is appropriate in which situation, so you are later empowered to think for yourself what tactical situation or intent you have that will lead you to either break contact or attack thru or flank etc.
Hopefully this way folks in a real SHTF will not blindly execute a drill thats inappropiate to the situation at hand, because they learned what is useful when.

It really helped me that I had read about half of his manual “Contact” before the class, otherwise it would have been harder to absorb his training.
I strongly recommend students buy his book “Contact” and read it before taking the class.
This holds especially for those w/o any military training who should read it slowly and thoroughly.

Speaking of his manual between that and his blog it totally sold me on training with him.
I often find that authors of such manuals try to fit the square peg of their own experience as SF or SWAT into the round hole of training up civilian preppers for WROL, TEOTWAWKI etc results in comically misplaed guidance.
but none of such errors in judgement can be found in Max’s book.

Everything he write makes sense for the situations he writes about and hopes to train about.

I am convinced that as his book “Contact” slowly percolates thru the community it will achieve cult status within a decade or two, as THE basic manual that fits the “civilian caught in SHTF” PoU.
I also believe that this type of training will transform the tactical firearms community in the next few years. We will see the faddish “tacticool “we will almost make you a SF operator” type schools adapt or shrink.

Non-faddish training focused on the basics is a must and I strongly recommend folks take his classes (or classes by those who exhibit a similar training philosophy which is not many, but some others do exist)

:)

PS: The students were almost as impressive as their teacher a no nonsense kind of group that was competent with their rifles had their gear squared away and eager to excel

kwo51

Full Access Member
The market is getting full of training personal, Swat mag has a group of people they have done background on.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
This book "Contact", can it be obtained even if a person will not be taking the class ???
I could never afford to go to a training camps such as You had explained.
It does sound like it is mighty impressive though.

Bluez

Full Access Member
This book "Contact", can it be obtained even if a person will not be taking the class ???
I could never afford to go to a training camps such as You had explained.
It does sound like it is mighty impressive though.

yes its on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Contact!: A Tactical Manual for Post Collapse Survival

its an incredible book on how to adapt light infantry tactics to the civilian 1st defender.
None like it out there.
Future classic.

I am not a guy who is easily impressed or believes in unqualified praise for a book.
This is the exception.

You will not regret buying it!:happy107:

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
Kwo: no I have read "Infantry Attacks" by Marshall Rommel, "On War" by sun tsu, "Strategy" by Liddel Hart a couple of the relevant FM's and some of Napoleaons, Jomini ( who was basing his writings on being a student of Napoleon ) and Clausewitz superior and timeless writings.
And a couple of assorted modern unfamous books. :)

kwo51

Full Access Member
Seems like you got the point.Col. Cooper was just an old Marine. I like Massad Ayoob books also.

-

Bluez

Full Access Member
I am rereading Contact now.
its good enough that you seem to learn even on a second reading.
Even if you are not on the east coast a couple of similar schools exist elsewhere.
For example Mosby ( I think he is in Michigan?)

One of the attendees for this class drove all the way from Minnesota

kwo51

Full Access Member
The instructor my wife and I had retired, he spent many years a Gunsight with Col.Cooper. With my disability and the cost of ammo slowing me down I do some 22 training and lots of dry firing. It is hard to get the wife to dry fire. She thinks its playing.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I was hoping to open a bigger discussion with this. Gear such as guns is nice and important but training is equally or event more important IMO :)

kwo51

Full Access Member
I think you are correct. With the winding down of the war there are training groups and well qualified persons starting training classes all over. I'm not to keen on going down range when it is hot.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Going to another class next weekend. Same trainer :)
Maybe this time we'll take pics

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts