Snow ruck march

Bluez

Full Access Member
As I follow the images from the fighting in East Ukraine and I see how both sides carry on fighting in a harsh winterland I decided to go on a Ruck March out in the 18 F snow land outside my house.
One thing that impresses me (and should impress all of us) is the fact that the bulk of the fighting is carried my militia battalions on both sides.

On the separatists sides it is militia battalions stiffed up by russian volunteers both ex military and active military.

Kinda similar to how FREEFOR might fight in a US civil war if such a thing ever where to occur here.

The gov’t armed forces are severely weakened by desertions and very few maneuver forces remain intact compared to pre-war.
Kinda like how in a US civil war the big military would be..

Instead volunteer Battalions have been raised, for the gov’t manned by those with an ideological stake in the war..

And while in the US urban “progressives” will likely be completely ineffective and resistant to being raised, a pool of folks might be illegal immigrants in return for a promise of citizenship plus assorted La Raza activists.

If I were to write a SciFi novel thats what I would think realistic… ;-)

Anywhoo I decided to go on a road march in the ice and snow just to perform a little systems check for whats to come…

Bluez

Full Access Member
(I actually made the above post after I was already back yesterday, going again later today I hope)
I found my Army issue winter gloves where slightly too warm when you move even in 18F weather.... maybe my Tac gloves would ahve been sufficient, who knows. but they ARE very thin.

I did not wear a face mask.

My clothes where:
Army Tan desert boots (great traction!)
winter weight pants
Tshirt underwear
Plus one long sleeve t shirt
Plus 1 thick sweatshirt
1 Army PT jacket
The aforementoned gloves
1 Army issue rucksack loaded ot 40 lbs.

My speed varied between a trot and a slog/crawl over snow drifts.

Took me about 70 minutes and I was sweaty by the end.

oppo

Full Access Member
Activity level makes a HUGE difference. I have played football in 18 degree weather while wearing nothing extra and had no issue staying warm. I also used to go running in shorts and a t-shirt in sub freezing weather, even with the wind blowing. Hard on the lungs but otherwise not to bad. Sitting in a tree stand in the same weather is an entirely different ballgame.

In other words, layers and the ability to adjust to the situation is important. Also, you do not want to sweat in cold weather.

Also, gloves are very important, not only because extremeties are at the greatest risk but also to maintain dexterity for when it is needed.

kwo51

Full Access Member
The civil war fought between the states here was as close to being fair as you can get. Both sides armed with mostly the same weapons . Today would be a different story the government has vastly superior weapon systems to their advantage. The lose of life is the only thing that would stop the on slot of the government. Now a military revolt is a different story. This country is run by the CIA and russia the KGB . When we awake it will be to late. God be with us for only He can defeat the evil empires that are taking over the world. JMO.... Cold weather trainning is great just cold.Rant off.

Last edited:

Bluez

Full Access Member
The civil war fought between the states here was as close to being fair as you can get. Both sides armed with mostly the same weapons . Today would be a different story the government has vastly superior weapon systems to their advantage. The lose of life is the only thing that would stop the on slot of the government. Now a military revolt is a different story. This country is run by the CIA and russia the KGB . When we awake it will be to late. God be with us for only He can defeat the evil empires that are taking over the world. JMO.... Cold weather trainning is great just cold.Rant off.

No, this defeatism is wrong on so many levels.
The analysis is incorrect too but I will not go into detail.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Ya I know VA just gave me my disability rating . Says you cant here shit. Back under my rock.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Was that your warm up? lol. I was station up in Alaska for just short of two years. Our basic load out weighed in right at 130 lbs. We typically moved from 8-25 miles a day. Some days were spent entirely on snowshoes. Coldest temp I saw was -51f. The amount of calories it takes to sustain that is staggering.

Good that you are getting out.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Was that your warm up? lol. I was station up in Alaska for just short of two years. Our basic load out weighed in right at 130 lbs. We typically moved from 8-25 miles a day. Some days were spent entirely on snowshoes. Coldest temp I saw was -51f. The amount of calories it takes to sustain that is staggering.

Good that you are getting out.

So when was the last time you did this....?
It doesnt count what you used to do but what you are doing now....

Members online

No members online now.