So Whatcha Doin' Today?

oppo

Full Access Member
20170325_180728.jpg

This was my project the other day, a new mantle. I routed the edges of the old one to the same width as the boards for the new one. The old one was just set into the stone and the wife wanted one she could actually set stuff on.

oppo

Full Access Member
20170326_184522.jpg

Got some pretty serious hail. It did this to the passenger seat of the bike. The rest of the seat is ok because all the hail stones were blocked by me. There was so much of it that there was a layer about 3" thick covering the road. It was quite a wild ride on wet ice marbles while getting nailed by what felt like rocks. Thank goodness I am not one of those fools riding without a helmet and a riding jacket.

oppo

Full Access Member
Yeah, that is pretty accurate, even through my jacket and there was nowhere to hide. It was amazingly loud hitting my helmet. The worst where the ones hitting my forearms.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
20170326_184522.jpg

Got some pretty serious hail. It did this to the passenger seat of the bike. The rest of the seat is ok because all the hail stones were blocked by me. There was so much of it that there was a layer about 3" thick covering the road. It was quite a wild ride on wet ice marbles while getting nailed by what felt like rocks. Thank goodness I am not one of those fools riding without a helmet and a riding jacket.

ATGATT - Smart. That's how I rode. That was some serious hail.

Went out to work on the JLG scissors lift to try and track down a hydraulic leak. The dang blasted no right turn problem had returned. Could not figure out for the life of me what's wrong. Got a test light and started probing wires to see where I was losing power. About half way down the cable from the deck controls I lost power for the right turn. Found where the wire was broken and spliced some new ire in. Back in business.

But that took all day so I never got around to fixing the hydraulic leak. I need to order a couple seal kits for the pivot fitting on the right drive wheel. That's where the fluid is coming from.

oppo

Full Access Member
Just finished my LTC class. I decided to take the GP100 to qualify with. I don't even remember the last time I shot it rapid fire. Not my best work but sadly it was easily the smallest group and one of only 2 perfect scores.

My new license is already in the mail, not bad at all.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Rant on.
Don't you just love it when a customer says "I can't be there till after six"? My day is way over by six o'clock. But you make an exception and say "Alright, I'll be there Tuesday". To which they respond "Tuesday doesn't work for me". Now do you want your &*(^# door fixed or not! If you want it repaired then work with me. It's NOT all about you. Go ahead and call one of those 24hr places and they'll bleed your wallet dry.

Or

Had a guy come interrupt me on an installation. Wanted me to come look at his problem. He had a fraying cable and a spring that had some metal fatigue. I installed these doors over 7 years ago but he's making comments like "Faulty spring, bad cable" like I'm suppose to supply new one's for free. When he asked what he owed me I said "I'll send you an invoice but it should be under $100". He acted like I slapped him with a cold fish. He was able to sputter out "Well......I should hope so". OK, I get it. I'm not a doctor. But you called me over to fix a problem you couldn't figure out. I got your door operating smoothly again. Isn't that worth something? I can't (won't) stay in business if all my work (knowledge/talent) isn't worth anything. If he had called someone from out of town to come look at his door, he would have paid three times as much easy. If not more.

Stepping down from soap box. Returning to your regularly scheduled programming.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Ordered and received a product that I had never used before but find kinda neat. They are metal wood inserts. In applications where you want to use a machine screw but the material the screw goes into is wood, these inserts give the screw a metal thread to bite into. Sort of like a nut that is imbedded into the wood.

Drill hole slightly smaller than insert.
eVMkJjub.jpg

Use hex bit to install insert.
pb1nCKbb.jpg

Attach item with machine screw.
oTNLLy3b.jpg

Well, I thought it was cool. But I'm easily entertained.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Busted the trailer hitch on the work truck today. I had towed my Bobcat over to a job where the entrance to the garage needed to be graded. Got it back home but the hitch was hanging at an odd angle. It was a makeshift affair done by the welding shop that installed the flat bed on the truck. I was questioning the strength of it and apparently it was justified. So just ordered a new class 5 hitch through eTrailer.com. Neither ebay or Amazon could beat their price on an identical hitch. Free shipping too. Once it comes in I'll get to use the plasma cutter to get rid of the monstrosity currently under there and put in something I'll never have to worry about again.

SCARPETTA

I am finished... taking inventory of my ammo & shooting supplies.

Way too much stuff and little storage room. Wishing that I went shooting, instead , but it is raining buckets , in the burgh.

I did reload some 7.62 x 51 from pre-primed brass ( disassembled machinegun bullets) Just had to chamfer the neck (mouth) for prep.

Now Where do I want to put them?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Went and bought a boat. It's a 1990 Quantum Fish & Ski with a Force 150 for power. Owner says it has new battery, tires and trolling motor. It's going to be checked out by a marina to make sure there's nothing major wrong with it. Carpet is a little thin but I can handle that project. Seats are all in pretty decent shape. No cracking or exposed cushion material. It has the front and rear casting decks for fishing. He accepted my offer of $1400. Looking forward to spending some time on the lake.
YCxnhHf.jpg

Members online

No members online now.