So what's your ideal home defense gun?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Pistol? Rifle? Shotgun? Slingshot? Straw and a spitball? I normally keep a pistol on the armrest of my easy chair. But I think the best HD gun is a shotgun. But as usual it depends on the layout of your home. Are the doorways and hallway wide enough to maneuver with a shotgun? Do you have a shortened shotgun (Bullpup style like a Keltec KSG) or something like a hunting shotgun that may be more difficult to move around with? Or are you more comfortable moving around with a pistol at the ready?

Some people say that there is a phycological advantage to a shotgun specially when the bad guy hears it pump a round into the chamber. I say I've already got one in the chamber and prefer not to give my position away. What are your thoughts?

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
I keep a SA-1911A-1 with 11 rds. of 200gr. CorBon 'flying ashtrays' beside me at night, because I DON'T expect trouble. If I was expecting trouble, I'd keep this beside me, too.

100_9127_zps55f5b209.jpg

Loaded with 31 rds. :naughty: of 69gr. CorBon JHP's.

oppo

Full Access Member
Ideal? All the above.

Normally, I have my carry gun, full size M&P in 357 Sig, on me and at night, it sits beside me on the nightstand. There is also a 357 magnum loaded and handy as well as a shotgun full of buckshot but, if I have a few extra seconds, I am grabbing an AR15 that sits ready with a full mag.

20141223_152546.jpg

kwo51

Full Access Member
Pistols placed through the house , glock 19 and car keys on night stand 1911 by tv chair. Home invasion in the day time is the newest problem in this area. Snatch and grabs . Shotgun, ar and ak all at easy grasp in safe. All rifles have mags close to them but not lloaded. Best home defense is the gun in hand .JMO

priell3

Full Access Member
I have handguns at various places around the house when I'm not wearing one on my hip and I have one within arm's reach when I'm in bed.

kwo51

Full Access Member
If it was not for the deer and other critters around the house I would have motion detectors all over. Dog and geese seem to work well but dog is getting lazy.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I rolled up to a customers house the other day and the donkey was singing his lungs out. Nobody is going to sneak up there. Homeowner said he chased off a pack of coyotes that was after a young cow the other night. But I don't think my wife would go for keeping a donkey in the house.

kwo51

Full Access Member
A goose was taken by a fox and the donkey stopped him. Goose died and donkey took a health crap on the dead bird. They are almost tp good.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've heard that donkeys have sort of an instinctive hate of anything K9. But I've also heard stories where they tolerate family dogs (sometimes). I don't know if the donkey and dogs grew up together or what.

In a similar situation the dogs I adopted never bothered my cats but would go after any other cat that came into the yard. They seem to know who's a member of the pack no matter what species they are.

kwo51

Full Access Member
doby and great dane stayed away from the donkey ,humans had no problem except he would beg for anything to eat.

John123john

In my home i haven't any gun for selfdefence, i only have an electroshock, cause in my area the criminals too small, so i think we no need any gun like you guys link here :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts