The Fedorov Avtomat M1916

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Interesting.

I thought so too in that most countries during WWI had the standard single bolt action rifles for their foot sloggers. Certainly looked promising but that thing called the Russian Revolution over shadowed it's full development. But still I'd like one for my collection.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPy5hvs4XlI&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Last edited:

armoredman

Full Access Member
If all Russian troops had been issued that instead of Mosins during WWII, had it had the design perfected, that might have made some differences. It certainly would have spurred development of other countries intermediate caliber battle rifles much faster!

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I've seen reference to this rifle in a few books, notably "Military Small Arms of the 20th Century; 7th Ed. By Ian Hogg.
But that is the first photos I have seen.

The only mention of the operating system is "...using a short recoil of the barrel to operate the mechanism."
This makes me think it must have been similar to the Browning A-5 shotgun, but that is just a guess.
If that is in fact the case, I suspect it would have suffered some of the same problems as the M1941 Johnson rifle, although the smaller cartridge may have helped remedy some of those issues.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.