The S has HTF! What Gun Do You Grab?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
The time has come. Everything is crumbling around you. You only have time to get your bug out bag and one gun. What do you grab?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Not a bad choice. Ammo could be a bit heavy to carry but being the .223 caliber, ammo should be fairly easy to scavenge. Can you think of any other pros or cons to the AR15?

Bluez

Full Access Member
Not a bad choice. Ammo could be a bit heavy to carry but being the .223 caliber, ammo should be fairly easy to scavenge. Can you think of any other pros or cons to the AR15?

Cons:
Bigger than a handgun
Pros:
Lots of firepower, effective cartridge, light for a long gun and I am very very good with it.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Since it's such a popular platform, scavenging replacement parts, magazines etc. shouldn't be a problem.

oppo

Full Access Member
I would grab my AR but it wouldn't be the only gun because I would already have a pistol on me. Accurate, effective, good capacity, good rate of fire. What is not to like? Mine has a first focal plane 1-4 with lit reticle and light. On 1 power with the reticle on, it is basically a red dot. On 4, you can easily reach out there.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I like an AR but part of me wants to grab the shotgun. Not good for sniping but very good at many other things.

oppo

Full Access Member
I like an AR but part of me wants to grab the shotgun. Not good for sniping but very good at many other things.

I kinda feel the same but the deciding factors for me were ammo capacity, the ability to carry a lot of it, and easy reloading. Of course, the extra range and precision is nice too.

Arckadian

I usually have a handgun on me already, so if I had to get a second one . . . agree, it would have to be the AR-15. The pistol I carry is chambered in .45 so not uncommon, but heavier than some.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I have a KelTec KSG. I have to admit it is a pretty cool little shotgun. It holds 14 and you can load different loads in each of it's two magazines and switch back and forth for whatever the occasion requires. I need to take it out and run it through it's paces to build confidence that it will be there for me when I need it. It's a Bull-pup design therefore very compact and great for close quarters.

There is a shorter shotgun shell and with it you can load 24. But I need to see what load is available in the short shell and what effectiveness it would have. 12ga shotgun shells are probably more available than .223 in a SHTF scenario when scavenging.

The 12ga is good for close quarters, small game, large game with the right load. It's only drawback that I can think of is being able to reaching out any distance accurately. If I have an extra few seconds I'll grab the .308 for that.

qRxZ3Iq.jpg

Last edited:

priell3

Full Access Member
I carry my pistol in 9mm, so I would grab my 9mm carbine to go along with it and as many spare mags and ammo for each as I could manage.

priell3

Full Access Member
My son also has a rifle in 9mm in addition to four 9mm handguns. The way I see it, 9mm fills in nicely between 22LR and larger calibers. You can get decent power and distance from the carbines with the ability to carry more quantity than larger rifle calibers.

If the S does HTF, I hope to be able to just shelter at home. My wife, son and I all work within 1 mile of home in a small town that is relatively light on liberals. Getting home shouldn't be too much trouble. Being surrounded by state forests, I have plenty of places in mind that I could evac to if necessary. If possible, we're loading up the Jeeps with as much as possible and hitting the deep woods.

Arckadian

Picked up a Sig Sauer P938 (9mm pistol) for the wife. She likes it and its not a bad little conceal gun.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've got a Ruger P85 (9mm) that I shoot pretty well. Ruger also made a 9mm carbine (PC9) that I've been wanting. Just haven't found one at a reasonable price yet. The pistol and carbine share magazines. I picked up some 20rnd magazines for the P85 that I plan to use in the PC9 whenever I get one. 9mm should be one of the easier calibers to find when scavenging I would think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts