Today Sucks

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Just had to put my last furry friend down. He was 15 years old and not getting around very good. He fell down the stairs yesterday and we were keeping him on pain and anxiety meds all the time to keep him comfortable. We had to put his brother down less than a year ago because of the arthritis in his rear legs. Goodbye Howy, go find your brother and play until I get there.

Howy.jpg

Bluez

Full Access Member
When an animal dies who has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Last edited:

TheOl55

Full Access Member
I feel your pain and am sorry for your loss. They are the Best Of Friends and will be sorely missed. Run Free Howy, Run Free.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
When an animal dies who has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.....

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

I read this last night. I was struggling with the inevitable. I was looking for confirmation that I was doing the right thing. Along with this I found a website that helps determines the quality of life your loved one is experiencing. This lead me to the conclusion that my buddy was just surviving. He wasn't enjoying life. He liked being with us but it was a job for him to get up to eat, drink or do his business. He was very stiff and he hurt constantly. The meds weren't enough anymore.

My wife already knew this and was stronger than me in making this decision. She was just waiting on me to realize what needed to be done. We have decided we are going to be pet free. This ripping your heart out is no fun.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I'm sorry my friend, I lost my 2 dobermans awhile back and miss them to this day. God will take care of them and play with them just like u did. God bless and I'm awful sorry I know its rough my friend....
Concealed 27

GLOCK V

Full Access Member
Yeah are 4 year old beagle died a week ago and was puking at two am. not bad dogs puke? So got a 10 am. appt. but he died at 8:15 am. Wow the old lady was floored.. then my Doberman and are lab both killed one chicken each. Lord!

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
When an animal dies who has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I read this again this morning and I'm not ashamed that i cried like a little tyke... brought back many memories of my male doby "Maui" and my female "puppy" I don't think I will get another dog but i may get another cat, I lost my kitty last Christmas when I was in the hospital, my father went to check on her and found her. A blessing in deguise, they did not tell me until the day I supposed to go home. So Christmas is not what it used to be....
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
I just hope obama care does not read this .They would be putting me down. Sorry for your loss.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I have over the years had to put pets down too. For it's one of the hardest decisions you have to make. But their not just pets..there part of your family. You grow up with them and vice versa. Sharing good times along the way and special moments to treasure. I feel for your loss...time is a great healer they say but memories last forever.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Trying not to get attached is the problem.Our chickens like to get petted, and will follow you around or meet the cars when someone come up the drive.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Trying not to get attached is the problem.Our chickens like to get petted, and will follow you around or meet the cars when someone come up the drive.

Oh man.....if it ever gets to the point that we have to raise our food, It'll be difficult to pick dinner from the yard. Heck, I can't choose a lobster from the tank.

oppo

Full Access Member
Losing a loved one is always tough but over time, the pain will dull while the fond memories remain.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Losing a loved one is always tough but over time, the pain will dull while the fond memories remain.

Today is better than yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow will be better than today. I know we made the right decision for him. The poor boy was just hurting all the time. It's still tough to let them go. Both he and his brother were great dogs.

TheOl55

Full Access Member
Always after we lose one, and over the years like most of you we have lost way too many and can name them all and remember the things that made them all special and unique, the wife and I say "No more!" "We can't take the hurt and the pain of the loss" We cry, yes, WE cry because I love them also. They are my friends, my walking buddies. But when they are gone and the hurt starts to ease up, not quite going away but getting able to deal with some, then you realize how quite it is and how the routine has changed, that something is missing. You know what it is. You have to give that love out as well as get it back. You need to have them so that you can care for them and love them.
Not now because it is to soon but in the not to distant future go and find a special friend to share your's and your wife’s life’s.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Always after we lose one, and over the years like most of you we have lost way too many and can name them all and remember the things that made them all special and unique, the wife and I say "No more!" "We can't take the hurt and the pain of the loss" We cry, yes, WE cry because I love them also. They are my friends, my walking buddies. But when they are gone and the hurt starts to ease up, not quite going away but getting able to deal with some, then you realize how quite it is and how the routine has changed, that something is missing. You know what it is. You have to give that love out as well as get it back. You need to have them so that you can care for them and love them.
Not now because it is to soon but in the not to distant future go and find a special friend to share your's and your wife’s life’s.

Good words. But my wife and I are down to a 91 year old mother-in-law living with us now. Not that we're trying to rush anything but when she's gone, we're hitting the road. We didn't have any children and have always been able to pick up and go when we wanted to. Five years ago her mother moved in with us when the rest of the family abandoned her.

My wife's two older sisters wiped their hands of her so I asked her if she wanted to bring her into our house, which she did. But anyhow, once we become "empty nesters" we plan on traveling. If we have pets, that will prevent that from happening. So for the time being we are not looking for any more things to take care of.

But the last four we had (2 cats, 2 dogs) were drop offs and wandered up in the yard, so in all honesty, we didn't go looking for them. They found us.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Ya I think that is how we got a kid or 4. I can see my wife and I in our RV with 6 chickens.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
That is extremely kind of yout taking your elderly wife's mother in. My mom did that for my dads mom till she passed about 10 years ago......its not easy but we would not put her in an aclf, no compassion there in those places in our area. I may have to move back to my mother and fathers if dad does not start getting better, it hurts me so much because he made me who I am today. So i go to church every Sunday and pray that he get his health back to normal,that's all I can do.....god bless my friend,
Concealed 27

Members online

No members online now.