Well this sucks. . . .

Arckadian

I was going to spend my weekend with a bunch of nerds at the Salt Lake Comic Con this weekend, but my house flooded last night and I have spent a good portion of the day cleaning up and looking at the damage. With just 7 items I am already over $1,500 in items that have been damaged and that is only at the "what is it going to cost to replace" price. I have so much more to go through and look at that I have almost no idea where to start. The bathroom that flooded is having the floor ripped out tomorrow and the garage that it flooded into was a storage space for when I had to get stuff out of the house to get my new windows installed.

Several hundreds of items are garbage now and the more I dig into the garage the more water damage I find. What was suppose to be a rather fun and relaxing weekend it going to be a horrendous pain in the ass and a costly one at that. To top it all off, the soaked ceiling in the garage was so water logged that when I was moving stuff around it fell on my head. After many hours I still have a headache that refuses to go away. Cant ask the wife to help because she left this morning for Fort Bridger and Mountain Man Rendezvous. There is not enough liquor in the world to fix this problem.

:upyours::Rant::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68:

The War Wagon

Full Access Member
That does suck.
icon9.gif

Will flood insurance cover any of it?

ViperJeff

Administrator
I think the flood started in the bathroom, so insurance should cover damage to the house, not sure about the items in the house

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well that certainly puts a wet blanket on things. I hope the weekend isn't too draining.
serveimage

Last edited:

Arckadian

This weekend is Salt Lake Comic Con weekend and I am going to be able to go to some of it, but the guys are here today looking at the floor and damage, they confirmed that the floor and walls have to go in the bathroom, and floor and some of the walls in the hallway are going. I have homeowners insurance with a $1000 deductible, but with all the destroyed items, that should be covered with that. They have sent me a form to fill out that has all the damaged items in it, I am hoping that I can get something back, already over $2000 lost in personal items and I only have 7 items on the list so far.

This weekend will be draining, but I am hoping that it will be from the Comic Con and not the destruction of my house. I have been having some fun and I even got to get my picture taken with an actor yesterday that I had sign a picture for me first and then got my picture taken with him. It was funny because he served in the Marines and I told him I was Army and that we were special because we are listed in the dictionary under stupidity, he laughed. When I got my picture with him he remembered me and as I walked up he said "Hey Army" it was a lot of fun.

Well they just left for the day, they need to run an asbestos check in my house because of how old it is. In 24 hours they will be back and finish the job of demolishing my house. Yay . . . . . . . . . .

Arckadian

Yeah if that happens, well . . . . . To be honest I don't know what I would do because I cannot afford that type of remodel.

Arckadian

Allstate has cut me a check for a little over $2000 for the damages and lost personal property. The whole of the cost has a pretty steep depreciation on it, but that cannot be helped it seems. I may have lucked out a little because my adjuster was former military and she seemed to like me enough to at least cover the carpet I had to pullup because of health concerns to the occupants of the house. They are covering a lot, but all my personal items that were destroyed are pretty much a wash. I will have top pay for them out of pocket to replace them. Most of the money they have given me will go to the house and to fixing it up.

I will be getting a dumpster this next week to start throwing away the items that got trashed, its about a full rooms worth of items and equipment. I will have to spend the rest of the day on that as they may be coming to pull my floor up in a dew hours, so I missed the last, and most fun, day of the Salt Lake Comic Con. Little bummed out about that as I was suppose to talk to the person that was going to help me get my table for next year. This next week is going to be very difficult, so many things that got damaged are irreplaceable . . . .

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
This next week is going to be very difficult, so many things that got damaged are irreplaceable . . . .

I hate that for you. Really do. Specially the sentimental stuff that you can't put a value to and there isn't anyplace to go get a new one. Been there and it does suck.

I know you said a bathroom flooded but what was it specifically that broke? Toilet? Sink water line? This could be a learning lesson for the rest of us. My wife and I are going to start doing some traveling. It might be smart for us to switch the pump off and bleed the pressure off the lines while we're away.

Last edited:

Arckadian

It did start with my eldest daughter, but when I dug into it I found the facet itself was leaking. I was able to stop it, but it was pretty bad. I have absolutely no idea how old the bathroom sink is and I may end up replacing it so that I can avoid this in the future.

kwo51

Full Access Member
When your done with that I need some trees cut up from the hurricane that just came through. I wish it was bigger and would have taken the trees with it. Good luck with your mess ,mine will burn.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Dumpster will show up on Monday and then the real fun will begin.

Here's your chance to mysteriously mis place some junk that you don't want to store til your 90 and will have the excuse, oh, that was damaged in the disaster of 2016

Members online

No members online now.