.357 SIG ::love it or hate it?

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
You MIGHT be right about that, but keep in mind, FPS doesn't make to many kill shots. It's the Ft. Lbs or Energy that does the killing. A biggo honkin mass at 800FPS will do more damage than most 1300FPS.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
You MIGHT be right about that, but keep in mind, FPS doesn't make to many kill shots. It's the Ft. Lbs or Energy that does the killing. A biggo honkin mass at 800FPS will do more damage than most 1300FPS.

That is why my hunting pistol shoots a .475 325 grain JHP at 1400 FPS. Bang, Flop! :favorites37:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I don't really understand why so many people get so excited about Velocity. I guess it's a good gauge for comparison purposes. But, lets be real for a second. Can you out run a 1155 FPS 9mm @ 10-20 yards? Can you out run a 900 FPS .45 @ 10-20 yards? I'm all up into some drag racing cars and trucks, but I've never once considered drag racing a bullet. With that said, am I impressed? Yes I am. 634 ft lbs of energy over 435 ft lbs does impress me. I'd be just as impressed if it were 1200 fps. It's true that Velocity does help with the energy ft. lbs. in how it's calculated.

Another factor you next to NEVER hear anyone speak of is Trajectory and I've even met some some shooters that had no clue what trajectory is in relation to and why it's important. Is it important? Hell yes it's important. I know some shooters also are not aware that bullet rises instead of dropping. It's a good idea to have a clue about your particular round. It may sound stupid and frivolous to some, but when bullet placement is important, it is a good idea to KNOW your round, and have an idea of how your bullet is going to react at what distance. For self defense I'd say it doesn't matter near as much since you're likely to be at close range. You ought to know how much rise your bullet will have, and at what distance your bullet drops and how fast it's going to drop. Never know when you might need that long shot.

Also recoil needs to be considered vs accuracy. You might have a fast 1500 FPS with 634ft lbs of energy at 10 yards for example, but it's worthless if you can be accurate and control it. Again for self defense and close range it may not matter much, but what if you need that 2nd shot? What if it's a group of 3 or 4 thugs coming at you with knives and bats or guns?

At any rate, didn't intend to get into a long rant. Just saying, when considering a weapon and which round you're going to use, really do the research into what you're getting and don't let just 1 factor like Muzzle Velocity be a deciding factor. Consider the whole picture. Velocity, Energy, Trajectory, and Control.

And no, I'm not bashing .357 Sig either. I like the round. I gave it strong consideration when I bought my .40 and was wanting something stronger than a 9mm. I considered .357Sig, .40S&W and .45ACP.

cce1302

Full Access Member
I don't really understand why so many people get so excited about Velocity.

Because velocity is exciting.

I don't know how long you've been around guns, but if you look around, gun guys are all about pushing the performance envelope of every platform they can get their hands on. That's why we have a .357 magnum (and maximum), not just .38 special. It's why we didn't settle for .45 acp or even .45 super, but went all the way to .460 Rowland. It's why .45 colt and .454 casull weren't satisfactory, and they came out with .460 S&W Magnum. It's the reason for .500 S&W magnum instead of .50 AE. .327 Federal. Hornady superformance line was created for that reason. And don't even get me started on the rifle calibers: 17 hm2, hmr, and hornet; 204 ruger; all the weatherby mags, all the lazzeroni calibers.

If slower were exciting, people would be coming out with .45 short and slow, .380 shorter, .357 minimum, .44 minimum, etc., but for those, we have slingshots, airsoft, paintball, and bb guns.

:happy160:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I get pushing the performance, but again, who is drag racing bullets?

This is another one of those situations like in cars. Everyone talks horsepower. It puts out this much horsepower, blah blah horsepower, and more horsepower. Horsepower doesn't win races. Let's talk about the Torque.

Same here. Energy in Ft Lbs is going to matter moreso than how fast a bullet gets to the bad guy. The bad guy isn't going to out run a bullet moving 1155FPS just like he isn't going to outrun a bullet moving at 1500FPS so that makes them equal in that sense. I'd rather hit the guy with 230 grain .45 moving at 900 fps than a pinto bean moving at 1500 fps. But, that's JMO, so carry on.

cce1302

Full Access Member
I get pushing the performance, but again, who is drag racing bullets?

This is another one of those situations like in cars. Everyone talks horsepower. It puts out this much horsepower, blah blah horsepower, and more horsepower. Horsepower doesn't win races. Let's talk about the Torque.

Same here. Energy in Ft Lbs is going to matter moreso than how fast a bullet gets to the bad guy. The bad guy isn't going to out run a bullet moving 1155FPS just like he isn't going to outrun a bullet moving at 1500FPS so that makes them equal in that sense. I'd rather hit the guy with 230 grain .45 moving at 900 fps than a pinto bean moving at 1500 fps. But, that's JMO, so carry on.

It all depends on what kind of race you're talking about.
Same for ammunition.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I like flying ash trays. Yes and all this horse power sure can kill a plastic gun. Shock buffers on the range.No reloads for ccw! Just ask the mouth piece.

ViperJeff

Administrator
Yep...

It's all torque Baby

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqiFM7AB78"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqiFM7AB78[/ame]

Sorry, couldn't resist

LOL

Members online

No members online now.