Anybody Do Any Reloading?

Arckadian

Triangleman how much did that bench setup cost you to build/purchase? Just trying to get an idea of how much the reloading stuff runs these days, I have been thinking of doing my own reloading but I am unfamiliar with the tools and procedures.

VIPR PWR HK

Full Access Member
What companies do you purchase everything through ... maybe they will do a better deal for people interested on the forum ...

oppo

Full Access Member
I get powder and primers from Powder Valley and some bullets also. I get jacket bullets from Precision Delta.

oppo

Full Access Member
Once your done, what is the cost per round

357 Sig 125 grain jacketed hollow points:

powder + primer + bullet = $6.50 per 50

I get once fired brass for about $40 per 1000 but can reuse it quite a few times.

357 magnum 158 grain lead:

Just slightly less about $6.25 per 50 iirc.

I have nearly got my brother talked into reloading. I showed him where he could get components for about $5.50 per 50 for lead 9mm rounds. The key is ordering by components by the thousands. Buying components locally in small volume will cost considerably more.

I don't recall offhand what the others cost but the savings is even better on larger calibers and rifles.

454 Casull, 45-70, 30-06, 22-250, 270

oppo

Full Access Member
Just did a quick check on Hodgdon.com and Powder Valley.

Here is what I came up with just quickly throwing together a cheap load.

4 lbs Hodgdon Longshot - $68

165 grain lead bullets - $30.45 per 500 =$182.70 for 3000

Tula small pistol primers - $19.60 per 1000 = $58.80

Total =$309.50

with hazmat fee and shipping est. $360

That is enough for 3000 rounds with enough powder leftover for 700-800 more rounds.

Jacketed bullets are more expensive.

They are $120 per 1000 for 165 grain or $122 per 1000 for 180 grain including shipping if you buy in increments of 2000. If you only buy 1000, it is $5 more.

Oh and CCI small pistol primer would be $26 per thousand.

oppo

Full Access Member
It wouldn't take very long to recoup the cost of a basic reloading setup, especially if you are loading for other firearms as well.

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
I will be loading my .45 ACP stuff starting next week. My friend is letting me use his reloading equipment so all I have to get right now is the dies and components.

We are going to experiment with different bullet weights and powders until we get a light, accurate inexpensive load for plinking at the range.

I will let you know how it goes.

dcktp37

I've been loading .243 Win, .338 Win Mag, .204 Rug and 22-250 Rem. I can't say I've saved any money that's for sure, but what I've gained in accuracy has made up for it.

Bullnettles

Full Access Member
I use a Lyman press, but it's all in storage now. I've done .303 British, .444 Marlin, .38sp, .357mag, .40S&W, and 10mm. I don't do it for cost savings, as I don't get to the range as much as I'd like.

c-ne-elk

There is no way I could afford to shoot without reloading. I shoot over 2,000 rounds of centerfire ammo a year, every year for the past 20+ years. I reload for rifles, pistols and shotguns.

If you are going to shoot large amounts or even 200 or so rounds a year, reloading will pay off. PLUS you get better quality loads than the factory provides and loads that shoot better in your gun as you tailer the load to your gun.

ONE CAUTION on reloading....you may not save any money, as you will shoot A LOT more when you reload!

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Some pics of my friends shop and reloading setup.

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Very nice shop. Want to get mine looking that way.

It's a beautiful Manland!
:win:

He hand built all of the shelving, cabinets, storage bins and almost everything else in there.
Every tool is always in it's place, and there usually isn't a speck of dust in the shop. Today it's a mess because he has been too busy getting ready for the wedding.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
It's a beautiful Manland!
:win:

He hand built all of the shelving, cabinets, storage bins and almost everything else in there.
Every tool is always in it's place, and there usually isn't a speck of dust in the shop. Today it's a mess because he has been too busy getting ready for the wedding.

Ya know....I admire someone who can keep their shop that clean. But I also view it as a sickness. The man needs help. A little sawdust on the floor never hurt anybody. And I have a vacuum system set up for each tool.

mopower318

Cigarettes n explosives!! He's living on the edge...
Yes I know that it would probably take more than cig ash to actually do something I just felt like saying it. :smiley-face-popcorn

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Cigarettes n explosives!! He's living on the edge...
Yes I know that it would probably take more than cig ash to actually do something I just felt like saying it. :smiley-face-popcorn

It's a cigar... and we never opened the powder. :bleh:

:D

Members online

No members online now.