Anybody Do Any Reloading?

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Just picked up a previously owned MEC Grabber 762R. Now to get some supplies and I'll be able to reload my own shells.
It's an older manual/progressive machine that automatically drops the powder and lead. I still have to turn the carousel by hand but that's no big deal.
mec1.jpg

Last edited:

DOOM

I have a few friends that do reloads quite a bit and I did ask them about it. From what I gathered, reloading can save you money, but only with certain kinds of rounds. One of the big things I was told about was that you have to be very careful when packing in the powder or you could melt the blast cap. I actually saw that happen with my friends reloads when I was at the firing range with him. But keep in mind my info is second hand.

ok, first let me address the above post. Brother filling a brass case with powder does NOT generate any heat whatsoever. Filling a case will not cause the PRIMER to ignite, or melt. Your information is extremely faulty.

Reloading can save money, but that is only one of many reasons to reload. For some the primary reason is the ability to fine tune the ammo to your weapons. The ability to alter seating depth of the bullet, charge weight, and degree of crimp can have a huge factor on the accuracy of your ammo. By far most who reload are making ammo much better then what can be bought.
Ever wonder why competitive shooters reload? Its all about the accuracy.

On the saving money part, if your a moderate shooter, lets say 150 rounds or more a week, the savings can be rather substantial. A basic reloading set up, press, powder measure, dies, scales etc ready to go can be done for less then $400.00. You will save on average 40-60% the cost of a factory box of ammo. Now, like all things we enjoy you can always upgrade. LOL!!

I still use the simple Reloader Special press from RCBS I started with, I also have a Lee Classic....very simple, affordable presses. I use to use alot of Lee Dies about $40.00 per caliber. Of course I now use Redding Competition Dies that are around $250.00 a set. Started with a Lee powder measure $20.00, now use a Redding Bench Rest #3 measure $250.00. Use to use a very simple Lee Beam Scale at about $25.00 now use a RCBS Range Master at $125.00 get my drift.

Brass cases can be used again and again. For the wifes 38 S that is shot with 100 gr DEWC and 3.5 gr Trail Boss powder (Very mild, pleasant load, minimal recoil) I can use a case 20-25 times before it will show signs of stress. On the other hand using new Starline Brass 357 Mag loaded Full House I will get 10-12 firings before I have to replace. My bolt action rifles in .308 I will get a good 15 firings, however I do have to anneal the necks after 3 or 4 firings (blow torch in the bathroom).

Bullets run the whole range of quality and performance. My bench guns I use Nosler or Sierra competition pills about $70 for 250, for plan jane shooting I have been using a lot of Match Grade cast from Penn Bullets around $50.00 per 500. For jacketed I will go to ZERO for my 44 and 45 HP about $120 per 1000. For any given caliber however I will have a choice of at least 10 different bullet styles (38/357 20-30 choices, .308 40-50 choices). So I have options you do not have with factory.

Powder is rather cheap depending on what your shooting. Around $25.00 per pound. There is 7000 grains in a pound. If I am shooting .308 and using 45 gr. of RE-15 per round I will get about 150 rounds from that pound of powder.
If on the other hand I am shooting 45 ACP and loading 5 grains of Bullseye I will get about 1400 rounds from that pound of powder. So powder cost depends on caliber.

Primers....there are so many different brands out there. I tend to stay away from the "economy" type primers like Wolf or Tula. I use a lot of Remington, Winchester and for my bench shooters Federal Match. Rem/Win will run about $30 per 1,000 Federal Match runs about $45 per thousand.

If your aim is to shoot alot cheap, you can do that. If your aim is to make the best possible ammo in the world for your shooters you can do that.

Reloading can become an addiction in its self. Sometimes I think the only reason I shoot is so I have another case to load...LOL!

When you reload you will shoot more, no question. You will also learn a whole lot about ballistics, this does make you a better shooter. Leaning to reload opened another exciting door for me, maybe it will for you as well....

DOOM

Also....what no one will tell you......You save money reloading, but you see what you can do, so you shoot more for the same money you were spending, so no savings there. Then you start buying Bench Rest equipment and spend more on reloading then you thought possible. But...you will enjoy the heck out of it!!

:lewx4:

Bootstrap

Full Access Member
Made 50 rounds of 9mm yesterday.
Hogdon titegroup powder 3.6gn
147gn berrys round nose bullet
1.147 oal
This is my first real large batch ever.
2012-11-02_17-10-16_425.jpg

2012-11-02_16-32-44_191.jpg

Hoping it all goes well, from what I read and was taught by my gpa i didn't really crimp the bullets at all, just let them be snug with the case
Sent from my DROID RAZR

Last edited:

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Did my first 50 .45 ACP today.
4 grains of Alliant Bullseye powder. Hornady 230gr FMJ Field Tip bullets. 1.65 oal.
DSC_0642.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

sixtyin5

Full Access Member
Here is a pic of the first 50:

photobucket-22389-1352056562723.jpg

Well, it's the first 50 after loading and testing about 25...

Honkey Killa

If your aim is to shoot alot cheap, you can do that. If your aim is to make the best possible ammo in the world for your shooters you can do that.

Reloading can become an addiction in its self. Sometimes I think the only reason I shoot is so I have another case to load...LOL!

When you reload you will shoot more, no question. You will also learn a whole lot about ballistics, this does make you a better shooter. Leaning to reload opened another exciting door for me, maybe it will for you as well....

DOOM

Also....what no one will tell you......You save money reloading, but you see what you can do, so you shoot more for the same money you were spending, so no savings there. Then you start buying Bench Rest equipment and spend more on reloading then you thought possible. But...you will enjoy the heck out of it!!

:lewx4:
Very informative post, thanks. I've always wondered if people did their own reloading to same $$, or if they enjoyed it.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Back in the 80's I used to shoot alot more often than I do now. That was because I had a group of buddies that we'd all get together and go out in the Cali desert in the early mornings and not come back til it got dark. We did do our own reloads back then because as much as we'd shoot, and several of us using the same tools and die's it wasn't a huge start expense spread between 4 or 5 of us. Funny I think I still remember one of the powders we used. The most common one we used was H322. That sound right to anyone?

Reloading isn't all that hard BUT, you must pay attention to what you're doing. Make sure your equipment is calibrated properly and that you are making full even strokes with the press tool. Other than that, it's just as easy as looking up the recipe you want to load in the Loader's Handbook aka Bullet Bible as we called it. You can make hot loads, light loads, etc. Fun to experiment with different weight grains and different powders.

We also had a vibrator bowl with walnut shell material for cleaning our brass. We made some pretty bullets. You know pretty is important too !!! :rofl:

But, reloading isn't for everyone. You have to enjoy it or don't do it. IIRC we figured we were only saving about 1/4 to 1/3 by reloading our brass, and normally you should only reload your brass 4-6 times depending on how hot you make your loads because after a few resizes with the die and press, that brass tends to start to get weak about the throat of the shell and gets pretty thin then can become dangerous. So don't think once you buy all the goodies and tools to reload, that you won't have to buy factory ammo anymore. Yes you will, because for the 25-33% you're saving by reloading, you may as well just buy factory made ammo for your brass rather than buy new brass, unless you can find someone making a good deal on the their once used, never reloaded virgin brass. Which brings up another suggesting. Notate and keep records of your brass and keep it separated if you reload too, or figure a way to mark it so you know how many times it's been reloaded. Sure, you can always do a visual check and tell if you can use it or not, but knowing how many times it was reloaded, and which recipe it was loaded with, whether it was a hot load, light load, which powder or which bullets may be the cause of damaging your brass earlier then needed, or find out what works well to get more uses out of your brass etc. It's just a good thing to do if you are really going to be proactive about it and making sure you're keeping it safe. We kept a hand written log of our loads, and soon got it down to a science. We also kept our original factory ammo boxed and storage containers that came in them. That came in handy for writing on the boxes with a Sharpie what we loaded then with. Then lined out the first line when done but to where it was still legible, then wrote the next line of what was loaded which also helps you identify what you're shooting out in the field if you made a few different recipes to compare different loads.

So OK, that's all. Didn't mean to get into all that, but ......

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I'm settin' up the shop. Got a MEC Grabber shotshell reloader and have ordered a Lee Loadmaster in .45 and another set of dies for 9mm. Once I find a place to get powder and lead I'll be set. Want to get primers and powder locally if I can. There is an outrageous hazmat fee tacked on when it's being shipped to you. But so far I'm having trouble finding a local supplier.

oppo

Full Access Member
I order in bulk from Powder Valley. The savings more than makes up for the hazmat fee if you buy in sufficient quantity. They also have good deals on lead. I get jacketed bullets from Precision Delta.

oppo

Full Access Member
If you are only buying a pound of powder and a few hundred primers though, local would be the way to go. However, if you buy in bulk, there is significant savings in powder, primers, & bullets.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
If you are only buying a pound of powder and a few hundred primers though, local would be the way to go. However, if you buy in bulk, there is significant savings in powder, primers, & bullets.

I'll have to save some $$ back up and try the bulk thing. I really want a good supply on hand anyhow. I just blew a bunch on the LoadMaster press with accessories. I know the Dillon and RCBS presses are suppose to be better machines. I just couldn't justify the added expense. I've watched some of the LoadMaster video's online and it looks like with the right tweaking, It will do everything I need of it. Just looking forward to going out in the shop and cranking out some ammo.

Humvee21

Full Access Member
One of you guys should start selling some of these reloads. I'm tired of paying up the butt for ammo but I don't have the time or patience to do all the reloading...

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
One of you guys should start selling some of these reloads. I'm tired of paying up the butt for ammo but I don't have the time or patience to do all the reloading...

Honesty anymore reloading isn't a ton cheaper than mass produced ammunition. By the time whoever in Texas reload some ammo, tacks on a bit to the price to make it even worth his while, then ships it to you, it'll be around the same price of store bought.

bgdv1

Yes theres savings. After the initial investment you can load for approx half the cost of factory +/- depending on caliber. Ive been loading for 30+ yrs. couldnt even imagine what id have spent on factory ammo. Ive watched and helped my dad for years while he loaded and by the time i was 16 i was into it big time flying solo.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
You must be buying huge quantity. When me and the buds did it, we figured we were only saving about 33-38%. Ammo was alot cheaper then. I still have some of my 30.06 brass from back then and the boxes have the price tag on it. Bought at Target 180 grain Winchester Ammo, $8.99 a box of 20. That was a long time ago.

Members online

No members online now.